PDA

View Full Version : IP Addresses...

lilcee
21-09-2008, 12:35
I've been told that IP addresses are dynamic and not static. However, my IP address has remained unchanged for some time now... why is this?

zing_deleted
21-09-2008, 12:42
Moved to correct forum please do not post in the articles section

Kymmy
21-09-2008, 12:50
IP addresses tend to stay with the user until certain circumstances..

MAC address of the PC/Router attached to the modem changes
UBR gets resegmented
Modem gets replaced

Some people have had the same IP for years, others haven't

AbyssUnderground
21-09-2008, 13:51
IP addresses tend to stay with the user until certain circumstances..

MAC address of the PC/Router attached to the modem changes
UBR gets resegmented
Modem gets replaced

Some people have had the same IP for years, others haven't

Further to that they're named "sticky" IP's. Your IP is always assigned to you, providing its not been assigned to someone else in the pool first.

The IP can change, just not very often.

Andrewcrawford23
21-09-2008, 14:13
Further to that they're named "sticky" IP's. Your IP is always assigned to you, providing its not been assigned to someone else in the pool first.

The IP can change, just not very often.

it can change ever time you connect but that does not happen often, if you conenct between two different amcs address al the time you will find oyu will go between 7 ips address

g0mit
21-09-2008, 14:13
mine has chanced this week i have been moved to new ubr

AbyssUnderground
21-09-2008, 14:36
it can change ever time you connect but that does not happen often, if you conenct between two different amcs address al the time you will find oyu will go between 7 ips address

Like I said, providing its not been assigned to someone else in the pool.

Andrewcrawford23
21-09-2008, 15:40
Like I said, providing its not been assigned to someone else in the pool.

If you havea different mac address oyu get a new ip

AbyssUnderground
21-09-2008, 17:45
If you havea different mac address oyu get a new ip

Of course. You can force a new IP by connecting a different computer or changing the MAC address of the computer/router interface too. Obviously you can't change the MAC of the modem.

Zhadnost
23-09-2008, 09:11
I thought the story was, you get a 7 day lease, if your modem is not connected when the lease expires then the IP goes into the available pool whereby another user may get it. If the IP is still available when the modem is then turned back on you will still get it for another seven days. (or something like that).

Russ_64
24-09-2008, 15:40
In general that is correct however the ISP has control of the DHCP server so they can change the parameters controlling the length of the IP lease, etc.

Andrewcrawford23
24-09-2008, 16:21
I thought the story was, you get a 7 day lease, if your modem is not connected when the lease expires then the IP goes into the available pool whereby another user may get it. If the IP is still available when the modem is then turned back on you will still get it for another seven days. (or something like that).

that is how it worked on dial up but since virign use cisco they have otehr parameters that aint the normal to what you are tlaking about but you do havea lease period i think its about 300 days then if you modem is not on when it reissues then you get a new one next tiem you conenct

BBKing
25-09-2008, 08:51
Zhadnost is correct. Andrewcrawford23 is, well, less correct. It's seven days.

Ignitionnet
25-09-2008, 09:54
that is how it worked on dial up but since virign use cisco they have otehr parameters that aint the normal to what you are tlaking about but you do havea lease period i think its about 300 days then if you modem is not on when it reissues then you get a new one next tiem you conenct

Quick note - the Cisco equipment is in no way involved in IP address allocation / DHCP beyond forwarding the DHCP traffic between modem, client and server, the server being the equipment that deals with giving out and tracking the leases. It works as Zhadnost suggested.

It didn't work in that manner in dialup, dialup used PPP not DHCP and the IP address came directly from whichever modem you connected to at VM, not from a server.

BBKing
25-09-2008, 12:32
Cisco also provide the majority of the DHCP software, of course, which may have been what he was groping towards.

Andrewcrawford23
25-09-2008, 13:08
Cisco also provide the majority of the DHCP software, of course, which may have been what he was groping towards.

Correct but broadbanding think i should speak techical terms.

1. users rarely understand it unless they have some knowledge.
2 means mroe work for m when i can explain it ona much simply note.

btw whenever i get lease form virgin dhcp server it usual quite long well the period when it due to expire it quite far away longer than 7 days i aint sure excately how logn it is just guessed at 300days

Ignitionnet
25-09-2008, 17:33
I think you got it right with the 'guess' part at the end Andrew, having pulled the 300 day figure out of the air and tried to pass it off as fact I think you saw a router doing DHCP at work once and assumed that's how Virgin did it.

Read your DHCP lease, they are 7 days, they expire after 7 days, if you're looking at the DHCP leases on your PCs they will of course be different as they are getting leases from your IPCOP box. That lease length will vary depending on what's in your dhcpd's config.

That you seemed to think dial up IP address allocation ran in a similar way to cable and other DHCP based services says you have no idea what you're talking about.

I seriously doubt you knew that Virgin use Cisco Network Registrar, and as CNR is a DHCP standards compliant server it has no relevance at all to DHCP leases anyway, these being set as per normal. The only extra parameters are Cisco specific AV-Pairs which are nothing to do with this discussion.

Think it's best if I stick you on ignore, I'll just get myself into trouble if we keep going down this route. :(

Andrewcrawford23
25-09-2008, 20:04
I think you got it right with the 'guess' part at the end Andrew, having pulled the 300 day figure out of the air and tried to pass it off as fact I think you saw a router doing DHCP at work once and assumed that's how Virgin did it.

Read your DHCP lease, they are 7 days, they expire after 7 days, if you're looking at the DHCP leases on your PCs they will of course be different as they are getting leases from your IPCOP box. That lease length will vary depending on what's in your dhcpd's config.

That you seemed to think dial up IP address allocation ran in a similar way to cable and other DHCP based services says you have no idea what you're talking about.

I seriously doubt you knew that Virgin use Cisco Network Registrar, and as CNR is a DHCP standards compliant server it has no relevance at all to DHCP leases anyway, these being set as per normal. The only extra parameters are Cisco specific AV-Pairs which are nothing to do with this discussion.

Think it's best if I stick you on ignore, I'll just get myself into trouble if we keep going down this route. :(

the leases is much longer than 7 days this is when i conenct directly to the modem, with ipcop box it 1 day i set ti at that for a reason

the guess bit was not a guess in the word guess but a guess becaus ei can not remembe rthe exact length but it was very long

Zhadnost
25-09-2008, 20:12
The lease here is 7 days.

dhcp-lease-time 604800;

604800 = 60x60x24x7 (number of seconds in 7 days).

AFAIK, it's always been like that.

The weird thing is, that the DHCP server doesn't fingerprint as running IOS.

Device type: general purpose
Running: Sun Solaris 8
OS details: Sun Solaris 8
Uptime 2.505 days (since Tue Sep 23 08:08:45 2008)

Kymmy
25-09-2008, 20:14
Just connect directly to your modem, open up a command window then type

IPCONFIG /ALL

That'll then tell you all the IP details including when the lease was issued and also what the expiry is

Andrewcrawford23
25-09-2008, 20:20
Just connect directly to your modem, open up a command window then type

IPCONFIG /ALL

That'll then tell you all the IP details including when the lease was issued and also what the expiry is

when i done it last, for the assumetion of techincal support, it said lease was march 08 and expire was april 09 hence why i said about 300 days i dnt know why it was so long the lognes ti seen before that was 90 days. and yes it was a 82.* address broadbanding not my ipcop internal ip of 192.*

Toto
25-09-2008, 20:24
How do you connect directly to your modem, is it that you mean connect your PC directly to the modem (if you have a router)?

Andrewcrawford23
25-09-2008, 20:26
How do you connect directly to your modem, is it that you mean connect your PC directly to the modem (if you have a router)?

When i say directly....

I mean i take the Ethernet cable from the cable modem and connect directly to the laptop Ethernet port and reboot the modem and get a new IP.

I am not trying to insult you or anything just makign sure i am clear on what i mean instead of my normal just rough unformatted non technical talk

Toto
25-09-2008, 20:28
When i say directly....

I mean i take the Ethernet cable from the cable modem and connect directly to the laptop Ethernet port and reboot the modem and get a new IP.

I am not trying to insult you or anything just makign sure i am clear on what i mean instead of my normal just rough unformatted non technical talk

Sorry, I was directing the question to Kymmy. I forgot to quote her post and yours slipped in before I finished my post.

Andrewcrawford23
25-09-2008, 20:32
Sorry, I was directing the question to Kymmy. I forgot to quote her post and yours slipped in before I finished my post.
No problem

Kymmy
25-09-2008, 20:36

Which one?? I have 2 going through a hardware firewall, 3 going through a router and one connected directly (well via a switch) ;)

My IPconfig quote was just an example of how someone on windows can get thier lease date/time information (except on win9x then I think it used to be winipcfg)

Ignitionnet
25-09-2008, 20:42
The weird thing is, that the DHCP server doesn't fingerprint as running IOS.

Device type: general purpose
Running: Sun Solaris 8
OS details: Sun Solaris 8
Uptime 2.505 days (since Tue Sep 23 08:08:45 2008)

Hi Zhadnost.

It isn't running IOS.

Virgin use Cisco Network Registrar, and as CNR is a DHCP standards compliant server it has no relevance at all to DHCP leases anyway, these being set as per normal. The only extra parameters are Cisco specific AV-Pairs

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps5698/ps1982/ps6089/prod_bulletin0900aecd803fc803.html

CNR is software, not hardware, and runs on Solaris et al, so that'll be why the box fingerprints as such.

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

The lease here is 7 days.

dhcp-lease-time 604800;

604800 = 60x60x24x7 (number of seconds in 7 days).

AFAIK, it's always been like that.

Ya, it was at one point shorter than that on one of the networks but has since been standardised at a week.

Connection Established Time 2008/09/24 00:45:44
Lease Expiration Time 2008/10/01 00:45:44

Andrewcrawford23
25-09-2008, 20:46
Ya, it was at one point shorter than that on one of the networks but has since been standardised at a week.

Connection Established Time 2008/09/24 00:45:44
Lease Expiration Time 2008/10/01 00:45:44

i will enjoy your explanation of my lease starting at march 08 and expiring april 09

Kymmy
25-09-2008, 20:47
i will enjoy your explanation of my lease starting at march 08 and expiring april 09

misconfiguration of the DHCP in that area, what's your lease now as it's nowhere near March ;)

Andrewcrawford23
25-09-2008, 20:52
misconfiguration of the DHCP in that area, what's your lease now as it's nowhere near March ;)

truthfully i dnt know i only connected to the windows maxchine to satify support it wasnt my netwokr that the problem was with, it now connect to my ipcop box and i aint going to log in to find out a ease time ;) but i suspect yoru right about the error part, but still prove 7 days is not the only lease time

whydoIneedatech
25-09-2008, 20:57
Ring into Tech Support and they will run your connection thorough an online tool that Boabyboy (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/51246.html) has mentioned in his thread and tell you exactly what length your lease is, and the length of your previous leases.;)

Andrewcrawford23
25-09-2008, 21:14
Ring into Tech Support and they will run your connection thorough an online tool that Boabyboy (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/51246.html) has mentioned in his thread and tell you exactly what length your lease is, and the length of your previous leases.;)

If you can do that then next time get asked ot connect toa pc dirrectly i know my response will be very polite but direct NO ;)

whydoIneedatech
25-09-2008, 21:28
If you can do that then next time get asked ot connect toa pc dirrectly i know my response will be very polite but direct NO ;)
It is all on the uBR so no getting away from it even if you have turned of the modem it is already there.;)

My present lease is below.

Start 25 September 2008 17:50:36
Expires 02 October 2008 17:50:36

I am also behind a router.