PDA

View Full Version : please help a newbie.virgin modem wireless connection

lukestring1970
20-09-2008, 11:33
hi,have just had a broadband modem installed today through virgin media..was previously getting broadband through my tv set top box.
Everything is fine (now up to 10mg speed),but i need to know how to set up a wireless router,sorry but am a complete newbie when it comes to this..not sure if i need to connect the router to my pc or to the modem itself..the only cable i seem to have is the internet connection coming from the new modem to my pc (ethernet think its called) do i need other connector cables?..
any help would be much appreciated as my girlfriend keeps nagging me that she cant connect her laptop.
thanks in advance

Kymmy
20-09-2008, 11:37
The wireless router should have a WAN port and one or more LAN ports, The modem connects to the WAN port via the ethernet cable, your PC connects to one of the LAN ports via ethernet and her laptop should use a wireless port, though you will need to read the instructions and set up the wireless secirity first. If you're gonna ask how to do that it's best if you post the exact make/model of the router and I'm sure that someone with the model will be along shortly and explain it all :)

Just for information when you connect the router power off all the equipment then first power on the modem, then the router, and finally the PC ;)

lukestring1970
20-09-2008, 11:50
hi,thanks for the quick reply.
so i think i need another ethernet cable to connect my pc to the LAN port on the wireless router right?
the make and model is TP-Link TL-WR641G router.
thanks again

Kymmy
20-09-2008, 11:51
Correct you do need another ethernet cable for each PC that you wish to add to the LAN ports (wireless excepted obviously ;))

Stabhappy
20-09-2008, 18:30
generally the wireless connection info is on a sticker on the bottom of the router. windows manages the wireless connection quite well, you'll just need the SSID and any key to connect.

lukestring1970
20-09-2008, 20:19
hi again.just wanted to thank everyone you help me with my posts regarding my virgin modem/router problems.
everything is sorted now,have 10 mg connection and my girlfriend can connect her laptop (and shes off my back lol)
THANKS