PDA

View Full Version : Is there a cheat to making breadcrumbs?

Graham M
20-09-2008, 10:21
Since this might be the last nice weekend we're going to have, we're going to have a Barbecue and I want to make home-made beef burgers, to improve the consistency and help them stay together on the BBQ I'd like to use breadcrumbs but unfortunately I don't have any stale bread around, does anyone know of a decent way to mimic stale bread to make them? IE would light toasting work?

Cheers

Graham

cuggle
20-09-2008, 10:31
have you time make fresh crumbs and leave it out uncovered for a while? or leave bread out first then make crumbs maybe?

Halcyon
20-09-2008, 10:35
Well you could pop to Tesco and buy some Toast Francais. They are these little totasted bread things. They are toasted rock hard and make excellent breadcrumbs.
Put some in a bag and then crush them with a rolling pin.

Kymmy
20-09-2008, 10:40
Lay the bread on a plate one slice thick, shove it in a microwave on high for 90 seconds, then leave to cool, the bread will go very dry as you've heated away all the water. then just put into a plastic bag and roll/hit with a wine/beer bottle..

Or if you're female replace microwave for a pre-heated oven that only we know how to use, and beer/wine bottle for your best implement for rendering a man unconcious!! ;)

Graham M
20-09-2008, 10:45
I'm male and know how to use an Oven :p: Thanks for the tips :)

Halcyon
20-09-2008, 10:50
This is what I was talking about.
They are ideal.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=16959&stc=1&d=1221904196

Kymmy
20-09-2008, 10:54
I'm male and know how to use an Oven :p: Thanks for the tips :)

LOL, the microwave trick is fast but you can over cook them and they go as hard as sheet steel ;)

If you use an oven then it needs to be on low (way below 150C) as all you;re doing is drying out the bread and not cooking it

The french toast posted above is useless as breadcrumbs as it's too cooked and doesn't absorb the moisture as normal breadcrumbs do so instead of if being a filler it turns into nothing

Maggy
20-09-2008, 12:23
Why use stale bread crumbs?Use fresh ones as it makes no difference...I promise you...

You only use stale ones for coating stuff that you are going to grill,fry or bake.If you are just adding them to meat to pack out the meat, fresh will do...Even better just make burgers with onion,meat and seasoning and leave out the crumbs altogether...just as tasty.;)

homealone
20-09-2008, 12:33
Why use stale bread crumbs?Use fresh ones as it makes no difference...I promise you...

You only use stale ones for coating stuff that you are going to grill,fry or bake.If you are just adding them to meat to pack out the meat, fresh will do...Even better just make burgers with onion,meat and seasoning and leave out the crumbs altogether...just as tasty.;)

Regarding that last point, if you use minced meat straight out of the pack & just lightly form it into burger shapes, it will tend to fall apart while cooking - however if it is mixed first, before forming, the meat will bind together much better. Doesn't need to be too violent a mixing, but a decent stir with a fork after adding the chopped onion, salt & pepper, should be enough before forming the burgers.

Maggy
20-09-2008, 12:37
Regarding that last point, if you use minced meat straight out of the pack & just lightly form it into burger shapes, it will tend to fall apart while cooking - however if it is mixed first, before forming, the meat will bind together much better. Doesn't need to be too violent a mixing, but a decent stir with a fork after adding the chopped onion, salt & pepper, should be enough before forming the burgers.

Well I put it through a food processor myself...;).Is that too violent? :D

Kymmy
20-09-2008, 12:41
I really do prefer a meat mixture with spices, but as I was brought up on boereworse and boereburgers as a kid that's not suprising

homealone
20-09-2008, 12:42
Well I put it through a food processor myself...;).Is that too violent? :D

Only if it turns into paté ;) :D

The Hitman
20-09-2008, 12:46

So when do I come round for some tasty sampleing :D:drool:

Maggy
20-09-2008, 12:53
Only if it turns into paté ;) :D

No it turns out into lovely fresh burgers that are far better than any shop bought ones...Especially if I add some herbs and a small garlic clove and sometimes some freshly grated nutmeg...;)

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

It's grilled frash sardines for lunch today..gutted,cleaned,backbones removed,coated in seasoned flour, straight under a hot grill until crisped skinned.Served with lashings of lemon juice and fresh salad.:tu:

Kymmy
20-09-2008, 12:54
Seems to be a fish day then <<says Kymmy whilst munching on some nice smoked kippers)

zing_deleted
20-09-2008, 13:21
add an egg. My trick is to add stuffing mix also :)

Kymmy
20-09-2008, 13:26
· 3 lb beef
· 3 lb pork
· 1 lb bacon
· ½ cup red wine vinegar
· 1 clove garlic
· 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
· 2 tbsp salt
· 1 tsp ground pepper
· 2 tbsp ground coriander
· ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
· ½ tsp ground dried thyme
· ½ tsp ground allspice
· ¼ tsp ground cloves

My favorite recipe for having a braai... Can be made into burgers or shoved into sausage skins for a great boereworse... Obviously if you;re making it for just a few reduce the amount

Halcyon
20-09-2008, 14:44
That sounds lovely :tu:

The Hitman
20-09-2008, 14:51
No it turns out into lovely fresh burgers that are far better than any shop bought ones...Especially if I add some herbs and a small garlic clove and sometimes some freshly grated nutmeg...;)

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

It's grilled frash sardines for lunch today..gutted,cleaned,backbones removed,coated in seasoned flour, straight under a hot grill until crisped skinned.Served with lashings of lemon juice and fresh salad.:tu:

I'm starting to get hungry now even more grrrrrrrrrrr.:drool::drool: