PDA

View Full Version : Internet costs for 300/300 for £10 users?

stanno
20-09-2008, 09:26
I'm on the 300 mins/texts for £10 a month. How much will it cost me to use my mobile to access the net? All I can see on the Virgin site are references to Bites (don't really know what they are!), and that they are free for monthly contracs but cost for PAYG.

Can anyone tell me what the actual costs are going to be? Cheers.

chickendippers
21-09-2008, 10:40
3G or GPRS 0.5p per Kb

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=paymonthly.ourTariff.s tandardcharges.shop.sm142

Gary L
21-09-2008, 11:22
I'm on the 300 mins/texts for £10 a month. How much will it cost me to use my mobile to access the net? All I can see on the Virgin site are references to Bites (don't really know what they are!), and that they are free for monthly contracs but cost for PAYG.

Can anyone tell me what the actual costs are going to be? Cheers.

Calls and services outside that package are really expensive.
I'd look at the offers from o2 and the simplicity sims. the £20 a month one gives you 600 mins and unlimited texts. you can choose the free £7.50 web bolt on which gives you unlimited web access.
Video calls count as minutes, where Virgin charge 50p a throw!

Rik
21-09-2008, 12:45
Thats my only grudge with Virgin Mobile, the Data charges are LAUGHABLE.
Do they not want us to stick with them and use their service, because if they dont do something soon, ill be leaving and going to one of the other operators who have much better data charges/bundles.

tonycee
21-09-2008, 19:59
I have been on the 300/300 sim for £10pm for a long time now.

Until about 2 months ago I was able to access internet using dial-up setting (a bit slow but worked well) on my virgin mobile lobster 700 and the cost was simply deducted from my available minutes. In other words if I was using internet for 15 minutes it would 'cost' me 15 talk minutes but no data charges.

Then this facility suddenly seemed to stop, either that or something wrong with my phone now.

Anyone know why this facility is no longer available

Thanks

hardtarget
25-09-2008, 02:07
i want to know the same

King Of Fools
25-09-2008, 16:40
Then this facility suddenly seemed to stop, either that or something wrong with my phone now.

Anyone know why this facility is no longer available
T-Mobile closed the old CSD service:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/11/t_mobile_csd/

tonycee
25-09-2008, 20:07
T-Mobile closed the old CSD service:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/11/t_mobile_csd/

Thank you for the information. I suspected this was the case but its a pity Virgin Mobile did not see fit to notify me (as T Mobile did with their customers)

I never saw anything on the Virgin Mobile web site about it, but did notice they had removed the WAP details from their settings info page. :mad:

Gary L
25-09-2008, 20:47
Thank you for the information. I suspected this was the case but its a pity Virgin Mobile did not see fit to notify me (as T Mobile did with their customers)

I never saw anything on the Virgin Mobile web site about it, but did notice they had removed the WAP details from their settings info page. :mad:

Virgin as a company don't tell their customers anything. I think it's become policy now.

tonycee
25-09-2008, 21:21
Virgin as a company don't tell their customers anything. I think it's become policy now.

actually, i did get a text from virgin on 28 March which said - "from 23/6/2008 mobile internet in the uk will cost 0.2p/kb, not 0.5p"

but on web site it still says 0.5p and it still says wap(csd) is charged at "standard call costs"
http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=paymonthly.ourTariff.s tandardcharges.shop.sm142

no wonder I am confused by this

confucious
18-10-2008, 12:45
Just checked and it does now say 0.2p per Kb - which means it is now 'only' £2/Mb which, given my monthly data usage on T-Mobile is about 500Mb / month would only cost me £1000.00/month - bargain!

:dunce:

PS I know 1Mb is 1024 Kb but I rounded it.

Gary L
19-10-2008, 11:35
Just checked and it does now say 0.2p per Kb - which means it is now 'only' £2/Mb which, given my monthly data usage on T-Mobile is about 500Mb / month would only cost me £1000.00/month - bargain!

It is ridiculous how much one person can pay compared to another. just from being on the right package.
you have to think that there are people actually paying these hundreds of pounds every month when they could be just paying a few quid for the same thing.

confucious
19-10-2008, 13:46
You pay your money and make your choice.
I pay £21 For Flext35 and W'n'W Plus on T-Mobile (upto 900 mins or 1800 texts and 3Gb data) because that's what suits me. My partner is on the 300+300 virgin tariff as she does not use data.
Horses for courses.

Visitor
29-10-2008, 21:34
We use 02, got in with the old simplicity online sim only. 600Min 1000 Text, and free unlimited calls to any landline, and any mobile Sat,Sun,Mon @ £25 (long weekend)

That has now gone down to £20 for us

However, the new simplicity online sim only, is 02-to 02 Sat,Sun (long weekend)

Monthly contract, video calling (out of your min)

But what makes 02 the best in my mind, is the customer service, if things go wrong, they do everything to help you, and credit your account to say sorry.

We had a bad signal one day... How many companies you know send an engineer out the same day to your house to check the signal level, and find the problem ?

= zero

02 did !

confucious
29-10-2008, 21:43
So you pay £20/month but without data? Not for me thanks. T-Mobs CS is the best IMHO

Whatever suits you but I use data!

bywater
01-11-2008, 01:15
Thats my only grudge with Virgin Mobile, the Data charges are LAUGHABLE.
Do they not want us to stick with them and use their service, because if they dont do something soon, ill be leaving and going to one of the other operators who have much better data charges/bundles.

I have just read on the register that Virgin will be offering 1GB of mobile data for £5 per month if you have the XL or L Broadband Package. You have to pay £25 for the dongle and a min twelve months contract. Not a bad deal if you ask me. A lot cheaper than most.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/01/virgin_prices/

;):tu:

confucious
01-11-2008, 10:24
I have just read on the register that Virgin will be offering 1GB of mobile data for £5 per month if you have the XL or L Broadband Package. You have to pay £25 for the dongle and a min twelve months contract. Not a bad deal if you ask me. A lot cheaper than most.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/01/virgin_prices/

;):tu:

That is a completely different thing. I have a Three USB Dongle (£7.50/Month for 3Gb) but that is data only and designed to be used with a laptop.
People were referring to mobile data on their phone - for which Virgin atre still prohibitively expensive.

Mind you, if they're using T's data service then the 1Gb for a fiver is a good deal!

Visitor
01-11-2008, 11:52
Says who ? it includes 1Gb data

confucious
01-11-2008, 12:09
Says who ? it includes 1Gb data

Not quite sure what your question is?

When Mobile phone operators provide data SIMS with USB dongles they are usually data only. This is not an add on to an existing mobile package AFAIK.

batchain
11-11-2008, 15:48

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/13/135485/reports/Analyst_day_november112008.pdf

- Daily unlimited usage rate of 30p from early December

- Monthly data inclusive packages in 2009

confucious
11-11-2008, 16:11
http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/13/135485/reports/Analyst_day_november112008.pdf

- Daily unlimited usage rate of 30p from early December

- Monthly data inclusive packages in 2009

The link didn't take me to the correct page - if anyone else has that problem (maybe it's because I'm using FireFox?) it's page 13.

Great find and fantastic news!

30p a day is only £9 / month - T-Mob and Orange charge £1/day. it will be interesting to see the monthly price and details of the FUP but certainly looking good. Thanks for the heads up.

chickendippers
12-11-2008, 10:15
I'm more interested in slide 25 which talks about cabling new-builds.

hardtarget
01-12-2008, 01:34
any news on the 30p unlimited wap?

confucious
01-12-2008, 07:32
any news on the 30p unlimited wap?

Does anyone still use wap? :shocked:
It's 30p unlimited data - no sign of it on the website though :(

hardtarget
01-12-2008, 15:07
mostly people use wap,
much easier than saying gprs
you just say wap

confucious
01-12-2008, 15:54
mostly people use wap,
much easier than saying gprs
you just say wap

Not that use data! And it's not just GPRS it's UMTS as well. Don't know what circles you talk in where they still talk about WAP!

hardtarget
02-12-2008, 03:23
well round here in luton people just say wap,
dont go too much into details,
long as you're using mobile internet you're using wap.
bit like using a landline phone,

corded or cordless people just say was on the phone,
they dont bother saying cordless phone or corded phone like a couple of years ago

confucious
02-12-2008, 08:12
WAP was a very restricted version of the internet which no one uses these days. Not heard anyone refered to WAP for a long time!

charles mohamed
15-12-2008, 16:56
dear sir account noXXXXXXXX i am 72 years old and have been with virgin mobile since it started i then did a package for your broadband and mobile phone by direct debit at twenty pounds per month last month with the mobile i was told i went over my minutes for the fisrt time ever by over 8pound nowyou say i must pay 13 pound 8ty p this month i can never know if the media and mobile are seperate companies now but i know being on a state pension i cannot afford to pay more in buisness i always thought you should be fair to loyal customers will be seeing if other providers can do better sincerely c mohamed p, s .

moaningmags
15-12-2008, 17:05
dear sir account noXXXXXXXXX i am 72 years old and have been with virgin mobile since it started i then did a package for your broadband and mobile phone by direct debit at twenty pounds per month last month with the mobile i was told i went over my minutes for the fisrt time ever by over 8pound nowyou say i must pay 13 pound 8ty p this month i can never know if the media and mobile are seperate companies now but i know being on a state pension i cannot afford to pay more in buisness i always thought you should be fair to loyal customers will be seeing if other providers can do better sincerely c mohamed p, s .

You need to call Virgin Mobile. This is a public forum and is not regulated by Virgin.

Can you please edit your post and remove your account number.

Kymmy
15-12-2008, 17:10
CHARLES MOHAMED

As already stated this forum has nothing officially to do with Virgin Media. If you though do have a query about your virgin mobile then the official contact form can be found at this address

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/contactUs.do

In the mean time I've removed your account number from the post and bid you welcome to the forum :)

moaningmags
15-12-2008, 17:11
CHARLES MOHAMED

In the mean time I've removed your account number from the post and bid you welcome to the forum :)

Thanks Kymmy

hardtarget
26-12-2008, 01:49
does the 30p limit start for the next 24 hours or does it end as soon as the clock hits 12 even if you use up 30p at 11pm?

confucious
29-12-2008, 13:14
I believe most of them work on a 24Hour period from Midnight to midnight so if you started at 11pm you would only have until Midnight (ie 1 hour) before paying again.

grimlea
13-01-2009, 20:38
Accessing the web on a virgin mobile phone costs 30p per day regardless of package. There is a fair usage policy of 25MB per day - this isn't to bad considering it is for access to mobile internet (wap or whatever u want 2 call it). Any use above this limit will be charged at £2 per MB.

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=payasyougo.tariff.howd oi.sm131