PDA

View Full Version : Connection intermittently stopping for the past few weeks - NG10

richo
19-09-2008, 16:32
Hi,
I have been with virgin media for years (originally with NTL) and have never had any major problems, but just recently my connection has been going dead suddenly, pretty much ever since the 10MB speed increases.

I have quite an old modem, it's a silver Ambit which says ntl:home 100 on the underside label. I am running my connection through a Linksys WRT54G and live at NG10 in between Derby and Nottingham.

When the connection dies the only way to get it working again is unplug the modem's power and plug it back in. I have tried to do the same with my router but it did nothing. I also tried resetting the PC but nothing happened here either.

The power, ethernet, ready and sync LEDs stay on as normal when the modem connection stops working, but the U/S LED blinks randomly and the D/S LED does nothing.

EDIT: Apologies, I forgot to mention the connection stops working more often when I'm downloading, but it has stopped whilst I am just browsing as well.

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : 256 QAM
Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.27 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 29.44 dB

Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 51.50 dBmv

I hope someone can help
Thanks for reading

Richo

chickendippers
19-09-2008, 16:47
Does this happen when you connect the modem directly to your computer via ethernet?

richo
19-09-2008, 17:36
I have just hooked it up chickendippers so I will run it for a while to see if I dies again.

Cheers for replying so quick

Axegrinder
19-09-2008, 18:01
Your Downstream SNR is quite low, probably why your losing your service. And also that modem is very old and does not work well with 10mb, best to ring VM up and ask fro a new modem.

chickendippers
19-09-2008, 20:26
According to the VM Uplift page the ntl branded Ambit 100 can handle 10Mb.

Nedkelly
19-09-2008, 21:12
The upstream power level could be better and the snr needs to be looked at :)It could be a level problem but i would guess the modem might be on its way out :)

richo
19-09-2008, 21:35
Thanks everyone, since I have been running my connection directly to the modem and not through the linksys router my connection hasn't died once.

So it could be a problem with my router, or it could be pure coincidence that it hasn't died yet, I will probably test it for a day or so. If it goes again I will phone the virgin help line. When I phone them should I quote any of the upstream or downstream figures?

Thanks for all the help

whydoIneedatech
19-09-2008, 21:42
Thanks everyone, since I have been running my connection directly to the modem and not through the linksys router my connection hasn't died once.

So it could be a problem with my router, or it could be pure coincidence that it hasn't died yet, I will probably test it for a day or so. If it goes again I will phone the virgin help line. When I phone them should I quote any of the upstream or downstream figures?

Thanks for all the help
I would call up Tech Support and just tell them you are suffering with connection problems and you think that the modem has seen better days and you keep having to constantly reboot it all the time to regain your connection, be connected direct and do not mention that you have a router and they should send out a new modem.

All the power levels are within the operational parameters for an NTL connection.

piggy
19-09-2008, 21:51

Thanks for all the help

i would wait as it appears your modem and conx are fine and the fault lies with the router... or you could follow the above advise and change the modem "just because you can":confused:

whydoIneedatech
19-09-2008, 22:15
i would wait as it appears your modem and conx are fine and the fault lies with the router... or you could follow the above advise and change the modem "just because you can":confused:
That modem is old and will be rather tired by now, usually we swap out old modems when we see them as in the long term it makes sense to remove equipment that may cause problems in the short term.

No need for :confused: at all;)

richo
19-09-2008, 22:46
Thanks for the advice, I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

piggy
20-09-2008, 09:58
That modem is old and will be rather tired by now, usually we swap out old modems when we see them as in the long term it makes sense to remove equipment that may cause problems in the short term.

No need for :confused: at all;)

we swop out old equipment?????? when and where? i currently have 8 pace stbs on my van circa 2001 picked up yesterday, you office people really need to get out more. we are also installing the pace stb aswell, thats a 7yr old stb going into a new install, so please dont say we swop out old equipment if anything we install old equipment.

Ignitionnet
20-09-2008, 10:41
Downstream SNR : 29.44 dB << That's a bit low.

whydoIneedatech
20-09-2008, 11:25
we swop out old equipment?????? when and where? i currently have 8 pace stbs on my van circa 2001 picked up yesterday, you office people really need to get out more. we are also installing the pace stb aswell, thats a 7yr old stb going into a new install, so please dont say we swop out old equipment if anything we install old equipment.
We are talking about modems not STB slightly different and in a lot of cases the older modems cannot handle the throughput especially the older models such early NTL100 series, 3Coms, Terayons, the DPX range and the early Motorola's, quite often require swapping out because in the end it lessens calls and visits to that property.