PDA

View Full Version : 20mbit Virgin media but can only ftp 1 download at 10mbit

|Kippa|
18-09-2008, 08:38
I have a dedicated server with ohv and can ftp to and from it fine. The only problem is that when I download one file from the server it only downloads at 10mbit per file instead of the full 20mbit. When I download 2 files at the same time it does max out to 20mbit, with each file going at 10mbit. Is there anyway of getting the ftp dowload to do 20mbit full rate for 1 download file?

Here is my setup:

Connection : 20mbit Virgin Media
Ftp software : File Zilla Ver 3.1.2 (using sftp protocol)
Dedicated server : OVH 100mbit up and down
Home computer : Vista Home Premium 64 bit (up to date with patches)
Ram : 8gb
Home Computer nic: Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Graham M
18-09-2008, 08:53
The server probably has a 10Mbit bandwidth slot but has 100MBit burstable to stop one person from overloading the connection, which probably is a good thing?

AbyssUnderground
18-09-2008, 11:04
Everyone has this issue to some server or another. I get 8.5Mbps on my 10Mbps connection from my OVH server. There are no bandwidth limits at all, I know this because other people can download from the server at a few MB/s no problem. VM's network is simply so poor it can't handle the full speed on one connection, at least thats what I've put it down to after the weeks of investigation work with OVH themselves to find out why the speeds to VM were so slow for some people.

They recently set up direct peering through LINX to OVH, so the speeds should be greatly improved, but it will always be fact of life that 1 connection will rarely max out your broadband. Some people have to use up to 4 connections sometimes to reach full speed.

Been there, done it, moaned about it and got the t-shirt. You're not the only one so I wouldn't worry about it and I'd simply find a way around it, which is to use more than 1 connection or use a download manager. :)

Impz2002
18-09-2008, 12:51
i had the same issue when i had my OVH server. i found if you use a download manager such as FDM (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org) and open up maybe 5-8 threads on the download it easily maxxed out my 20meg connection. Most sites will only give you up to 10meg per connection and using a download manager always solves this issue. I rarely get full 20meg without using multiple connections.

Impz

|Kippa|
20-09-2008, 05:42
Thanks for the input, much apprecated. :-)

Jonathan90
20-09-2008, 09:53
look into sla

whydoIneedatech
20-09-2008, 10:21
look into sla
I would put a bit more into that as most people will not know what a SLA is and you did not say in what context either.;)

AbyssUnderground
20-09-2008, 10:37
look into sla

SLA will not affect the single connection speed, or overall speed in any way.

herra
22-12-2008, 10:50
i had the same issue when i had my OVH server. i found if you use a download manager such as FDM (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org) and open up maybe 5-8 threads on the download it easily maxxed out my 20meg connection. Most sites will only give you up to 10meg per connection and using a download manager always solves this issue. I rarely get full 20meg without using multiple connections.

Impz

hi mate,
Surely download managers can't connect with SFTp (SSH) connections as used on my OVH box. Or can they? I haven't seen one.. Any ideas?

smooth-criminal
22-12-2008, 11:03
Is OVH good as a service provider? Sorry I know this doesn't help - just wondering though :)

Stabhappy
22-12-2008, 11:42
I consider them as terribly overcomplicated. I have to send them a letter with photo ID in order to cancel my services? Sod that, I didnt have to give photo identity to sign up. What are they even going to compare it to?

Cancelled payment method so officially I still am a subscriber but my services are suspended. Indefinately.

Ignitionnet
22-12-2008, 17:12
OVH are a bit odd in that they host about half the country's bittorrent seeds on their servers so their bandwidth bill is pretty unpleasant.

I'm not sure of their viability at the moment, nor am I convinced by their owner's comments on capacity, I'm not sure how the sums can add up with people firing tens of megabits/second of torrent traffic from their servers.

That said they are still in business so I guess they aren't doing that bad!

|Kippa|
22-12-2008, 17:19
Broadbandigns they have changed some of the 1gbit connections so that it is only 1gbit connecting to other servers within OVH network and other external traffic to the internet is 100mbit. Still like you said, there are loads of OVH seedboxes around so if you use a torrent site where a lot of users are using OVH then you will still get the 1gbit connection rate.