PDA

View Full Version : Old Terayon modem.

mk1 bob
17-09-2008, 23:31
Hi All,
newbie here.
I have had the same terayon modem supplied by ntl about 7 yrs ago now, i have a v media engineer calling tomorrow because off loads of problems with connections, do you think that he will automatically replace my old modem as i think it must be well past its best by now, i don't know a lot about this type of thing but would expect theres been a lot of advances in the last 7 yrs.
cheers Bob.

Axegrinder
17-09-2008, 23:36
Yes definately, that modem is very old, the tech will definately replace it or thy will send you a modem. (Ambit 256).

mk1 bob
18-09-2008, 00:03
Thats nice to know, can anyone tell me how much difference there is likely to be.( terayon v ambit 256 ) and should virgin/ntl have replaced/upgraded me years ago, or do they wait for you to report faults first.

whydoIneedatech
18-09-2008, 00:09
Thats nice to know, can anyone tell me how much difference there is likely to be.( terayon v ambit 256 ) and should virgin/ntl have replaced/upgraded me years ago, or do they wait for you to report faults first.
If you are on 2mb then up to now the modem has been OK, but if you were on 4mb then it would need upgrading as all 4mb customers are being upgraded to 10mb free of charge and that Terayon is not capable of more than 6mb, so requires replacement.

Also the Ambit 256 is an Ethernet only modem so you will need a Ethernet port in your PC as it does not have a USB port fitted on the modem.

rswilson
18-09-2008, 09:55
Well that's funny!

I have a Terayon modem and regularly get 8.5Mbits/sec, having been upgraded from 4Mbits to 10Mbits.

When I queried Tech support if I need to swap my modem, they said it would make no difference.

Regards

Rob

whydoIneedatech
18-09-2008, 10:06
Terayon Terajet TJ210
From approx October 2001 Customers started to receive the Terayon TJ210. It is Docsis only (so will not work reliably if at all, on the parts of the network that use Eurodocsis). The TJ210 was Ethernet and USB and remained in use until April 2002.

Does not support 10 or 20Mbps Tiers of Service

There are also reports that the TJ210 does not work well in the newer 256QAM environment under circusmstances like heavy download.

If you have this modem you need to call Tech Support and get it it swapped, do not take no for an answer, if need be ask for a manager as it does not support 10mb.

Information used from this link for the Chetnet Knowledge Base http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4

mk1 bob
18-09-2008, 11:04
I'm only on the 2mb package, will this make any difference as the modem still won't connect, when i lose the signal and try diagnose and repair (vista) most times it reports dns server pinged no reply, then it might start working for a while of its own accord before i lose it all again. the signal strength from the linksys wireless router is always 90+ % so thats not a problem.

whydoIneedatech
18-09-2008, 14:17
Let us know if the engineer swaps the modem, it should not make any difference what package you are on as that modem should be replaced.

Are you connecting via Ethernet or USB, as Vista will probably not work with that modem on a USB connection.

mk1 bob
18-09-2008, 14:34
Engineer has swapped the modem , i am connecting wireless through a linksys router, fingers crossed but the difference is absolutely unbelievable, loadind super fast and no hanging. thanks for all your help with this, i only wish i'd done it before i knackered my old laptop by blaming it for all the problems, which resulted in me wiping out partitions and all sorts trying to solve the problems. and all the time there was nothing wrong with it

whydoIneedatech
18-09-2008, 14:38
I bet you will keep an eye on here from now on;)