PDA

View Full Version : fed up with crappy speeds

PAYNEARDO
17-09-2008, 21:28
Getting really fed up now. The speed issue is a joke :(

It is up and down more than a lift !! now getting less than 100kbs on a 20 MB connection then it spikes up to 5 MB !! (wooohhhh) and sometime up to 9Mb for a few seconds. I know the ubr is over subscribed but this is terrible, I have tried a phone call to tech support but after unplugging my router etc... They claim no problems, as the speed went up slightly !! (and that was during the day). Even trying to set up newsgroups on my pc to send a message to tech support on that is taking ages (now been 3 minutes and got to f's on the list !!)

Any ideas of what to do next.... ?? apart from move ISP ?? :0

The net is quicker on my 3G card than my cable modem at the moment !

I have tried changing my router to a WRT160N, which is running the DD-WRT firmware as well... NO Difference. Go direct to cable modem.... NO Difference

**** Cable downstream (engineer has now been out 3 times because of this, when he left last time the power level was 0 and has gradually dropped.... ***
Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : -6.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 34.1 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 22200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 49.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

whydoIneedatech
17-09-2008, 21:56
Your downstream power level is to low should around 0 or above not -6.4dbmv as it shows now, you may need a Tech to adjust that power level.

PAYNEARDO
17-09-2008, 22:00
Your downstream power level is to low should around 0 or above not -6.4dbmv as it shows now, you may need a Tech to adjust that power level.

Cheers, it was 0 last time a tech visited and has gradually gone down since he left but no sure why it is doing that ???

I also know that the UBR is oversubscribed thanks to a poster on here (D.Lacey, cheers) but wanted to see if anything else could be effecting it as it has been fine until the last couple of weeks !!

whydoIneedatech
17-09-2008, 22:03
Cheers, it was 0 last time a tech visited and has gradually gone down since he left but no sure why it is doing that ???

I also know that the UBR is oversubscribed thanks to a poster on here (D.Lacey, cheers) but wanted to see if anything else could be effecting it as it has been fine until the last couple of weeks !!
That will have enough of an affect as it is and you should call up again.

PAYNEARDO
17-09-2008, 22:37

cheers wil get the engineer out again... ::shocked:

D.Casey
18-09-2008, 20:23
Im still having exactly the same problems on the same UBR :( I think the more techs that get called out they may actually start to believe there is a problem with it.

Im not going to give up as its unfair how people on this ubr are getting treated, I do sympathise with the techs to some degree as they say they cant diagnose a problem unless its happening whilst they are there. and the problem only really happens daily between 7.30-10pm (sometimes a little earlier).

I guess a 4-7pm tech may be able to see something.

Its a shame the indian call centre people forget to do a detailed report/checks as both the techs ive had out have phoned up and requested the information.. & found the indian call centre guys have recorded nothing. Its really annoying as ive phoned up about the problem atleast 14 times this last month.

Nedkelly
18-09-2008, 20:29
Which ubr is it ? :)

whydoIneedatech
18-09-2008, 20:30
Im still having exactly the same problems on the same UBR :( I think the more techs that get called out they may actually start to believe there is a problem with it.

Im not going to give up as its unfair how people on this ubr are getting treated, I do sympathise with the techs to some degree as they say they cant diagnose a problem unless its happening whilst they are there. and the problem only really happens daily between 7.30-10pm (sometimes a little earlier).

I guess a 4-7pm tech may be able to see something.

Its a shame the indian call centre people forget to do a detailed report/checks as both the techs ive had out have phoned up and requested the information.. & found the indian call centre guys have recorded nothing. Its really annoying as ive phoned up about the problem atleast 14 times this last month.
I know what you mean as I can get a call that has been dealt with as above and the is virtually no notes on the account from the previous call, which means I have to start the diagnostics from scratch, very annoying for me and the caller.:mad:

D.Casey
18-09-2008, 20:57
Which ubr is it ? :)

cpc2-grim3-0-0-cust***.nott.cable.ntl.com

I don't think its a problem with the UBR being over subscribed anymore as ive been talking to a friend tonight who had a tech out yesterday (hes's on same UBR) and the tech couldnt find anything wrong (said the UBR isnt over subscribed) - controdicting totally what the people on the 151 has said.

All the tech did was move his connection on the UBR to a different place on it, and last night for the first time in 3 weeks... he actually got a good connection.
Then tonight he's phoned & said he's back to being like me & payneardo + my neighbour... really bad speed + high ping.

The same thing happened with my neighbour about 2 weeks ago, tech couldnt find anything wrong.. said all he did was move him to a different place on the ubr + put a 3db attenuater on.. his connection was great for 1 night aswell :p:

Very strange problem you reckon?

Nedkelly
18-09-2008, 21:00
Strange who told him he was moved on the ubr ? it is impossible to do it means moving everyone of the card / ubr to another one .:confused:

D.Casey
18-09-2008, 21:25
The tech that came out to both of them said he'd moved them to another pitch/place on the same UBR.

The 151 guy tonight said the UBR is definetly not over subscribed - has 88 people on it and at max it only becomes 8% over subscribed. Yet the 1st guy I talked to a few weeks back said it was 22% oversubscribed and thats why everybody was getting between 15 & 20% packet loss.

It really is confusing :p:

Any ideas what the tech did to give them the perfect speed for just the 1 night (before going back to the bad speeds he following nights)?

PAYNEARDO
18-09-2008, 21:29
I also got this from a tech on the VM newsgroups

Hi Dave,
Everything on the network checks out at the moment. The power level is fine, it can be as low as -10 or -12 and the connection will not deteriorate. Would you perform 2 simultaneous downloads from http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/ and report back the speeds to us. Does the downstream power level fluctuate at all?

For your information the speeds I got was 177KB\sec, 166, 153, 177, 188,, 183, now 154kbs. It changed every second !! :(

The config on my modem is, so it is setup for 20MB :)

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Nedkelly
18-09-2008, 21:34
When the speeds are bad the Snr on the modem drop ? and do you see the upstream go above 55dbmv :)

PAYNEARDO
18-09-2008, 21:37
Also would like to add, it has only happened in the last 2 weeks or so, as I normally got my full speed before that (with an odd exception)

When did the 4Mb to 10Mb upgrades start\finish in the DN35 7 area ?

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

When the speeds are bad the Snr on the modem drop ? and do you see the upstream go above 55dbmv :)

I haven't seen it do that, it is normally rock solid. At the moment it is.

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 22200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 49.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

I started a couple of downloads from the VM game site and it hasn't changed... :o: (getting around 150kbs for one download)

the downstream is fluctuating between -4.7dBmV & - 6.4dBmV

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.2 dB

Nedkelly
18-09-2008, 21:40
All the upgrades should of been done now .Do you have a new modem the 250 or the 256 :)

PAYNEARDO
18-09-2008, 21:42
I am 20MB

But wondered if the people who was upgraded from 4 to 10 could be causing speed issues :0 :)

I have a Blue 250 modem..

D.Casey
18-09-2008, 21:44
I haven't seen it do that, it is normally rock solid. At the moment it is.

Yep, it seems to stay the same here aswell. (recieved new modem last week)

I am 20MB

But wondered if the people who was upgraded from 4 to 10 could be causing speed issues :0 :)

I have a Blue 250 modem..

I thought that too, but when both my friends(street neighbours) had the visit from the tech last week (they suffer exactly the same as us every night) they got the full 20mb for the whole night .. before going back to slow speeds/really high pings the following nights.

Really strange problem

PAYNEARDO
18-09-2008, 21:49
Have you actually the full 20MB speed in the last couple of weeks as I can't remember if I have ??

Even when I was at home during the day it seemed to be misbehaving ..... :(

monkey2468
18-09-2008, 21:53
If you get another tech to come out, ask him to change the power supply, as these can sometimes cause speed problems.

D.Casey
18-09-2008, 21:55
Have you actually the full 20MB speed in the last couple of weeks as I can't remember if I have ??

Even when I was at home during the day it seemed to be misbehaving ..... :(

I check at lunch time & morning & when I come home from work, usually get around 16-17mb normally with a ms response of 15-25max on ping tests, it goes to 50-80ms when the problems start and theres packet loss.

junouk
18-09-2008, 21:56
i get round 30mb in day which ant bad on torrents get round 3.8 to 3.9mb on good day i get 4.5mb

PAYNEARDO
18-09-2008, 21:59
will check in the morning before work and report back :)

junouk
18-09-2008, 22:06
the guy gettin crap speeds did you get tech to change ya modem try changin splitters etc and cables to

PAYNEARDO
19-09-2008, 08:14
speed this morning from speedtest.net is 15878 (which is good !! :) ) & 2.09 MB from the site http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/ !!

D.Casey
19-09-2008, 13:42
speed this morning from speedtest.net is 15878 (which is good !! :) ) & 2.09 MB from the site http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/ !!

Thats what I usually get the the day time, so it proves the people on 151 are wrong blaming our firewalls,routers,spyware etc. (defo has to be a ubr problem).

In a way I wish our speeds was always as bad as we get after 7pm, that way a tech could probally diagnose the problem easier :p:

Ignitionnet
19-09-2008, 13:48

-6.4 is fine with 34.1 SNR. Not ideal but fine.

If SNR and receive power stay fairly constant throughout the day and evening I'd suggest oversubscription is the issue. If they vary a lot that points to signal.

Needs a tech to check upstream SNR while the issues occur, and a traceroute would be good.

whydoIneedatech
19-09-2008, 20:50
-6.4 is fine with 34.1 SNR. Not ideal but fine.

If SNR and receive power stay fairly constant throughout the day and evening I'd suggest oversubscription is the issue. If they vary a lot that points to signal.

Needs a tech to check upstream SNR while the issues occur, and a traceroute would be good.
If the OP spoke to me and explained his problem as above and gave me that power level then I would Tech it, plus it makes the caller feel better that we care.;)