PDA

View Full Version : Anything wrong with this?

nemesis01
17-09-2008, 19:04
I am at my girlfriends at the minute, they are on the 10mb package, problem is the modem's connection will drop out every hour or so. They have a wired router with 1 pc downstairs and another up, I have the power levels from the modem but don't know how to interpret them so if anybody could please help diagnose a problem.

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.82 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.90 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 44.50 dBmv

AbyssUnderground
17-09-2008, 19:20
Downstream is a little high, it should be nearer +/- 3db.
SNR should be nearer 40dB but 33dB is acceptable. I had problems when it was that low.

whydoIneedatech
17-09-2008, 21:09
I am at my girlfriends at the minute, they are on the 10mb package, problem is the modem's connection will drop out every hour or so. They have a wired router with 1 pc downstairs and another up, I have the power levels from the modem but don't know how to interpret them so if anybody could please help diagnose a problem.

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.82 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.90 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 44.50 dBmv

Is it a NTL or Telewest area if unsure what is the email address @ntlworld.com or @blueyonder.co.uk.

Because the above Downstream is fine on Telewest but not on NTL and you may need to call Tech Support.

nemesis01
18-09-2008, 07:30
It's NTL. I have been telling them to call them up and request an engineer, like banging head against wall.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

whydoIneedatech
18-09-2008, 09:14
It's NTL. I have been telling them to call them up and request an engineer, like banging head against wall.

Thanks for the advice anyway.
The power levels are wrong for an NTL connection and you need to call Tech Support to see about getting an engineer to check the power levels and adjust them.

If you called in with your symptoms and I took the call I would book an engineer, so should my colleagues.

Show them this post.;)