PDA

View Full Version : RG24 problems

keefie
17-09-2008, 08:43
There has been a fault in RG24 since last week, does anyone have any inside info on when this will get fixed? Blizzard are pushing the new WoW patch (990 MB) and I can't download it :(

Warcraft is playable cos the latency is fine, but the download speed is 100-400 kb/s with total loss overnight sometimes

Graham M
17-09-2008, 08:55
How do you know that it's a fault in that whole area and not just with your setup?

keefie
17-09-2008, 09:10
Because the 0800 service status recorded message says so!

I noticed the slowdown on Friday, did some troubleshooting on my system with no effect so I rang the service line. I am now getting fed up hearing the same message with no updates on whether we will ever get our speed back.

Graham M
17-09-2008, 09:14
And I'm saying they are? I was going to try and help you but with that outburst I'm not so sure. The only reason I asked is because there is no mention of it on Virgin's service status website, only a problem in Brighton and Glasgow. Have you actually spoken to someone at Virgin to ask how long they expect the problem to last?

keefie
17-09-2008, 09:15
I have given up speaking to Virgin as their solution to everything is to restart my PC.

whydoIneedatech
17-09-2008, 09:46
I have given up speaking to Virgin as their solution to everything is to restart my PC.
Are you on the Telia servers for WOW as they have known issues with latency on VM, and both Telia and VM are working towards a solution.

keefie
17-09-2008, 23:49
I dont have any latency problems with WOW, the game reports about 25-50 ms, as does speedtest.net

What I do have problems with is my download speed, it is up to a blistering 1 Mb/s right now, has been down to 100 kb/s over the last few days.

I did talk to someone from Virgin, the recorded message about the fault in RG24 shouldn't have been there. Apparently my PC is too slow, having disabled my startup programs (AV, firewall etc) hasn't helped, so I guess I need a new PC.

Amazing how my PC was fast enough until Friday and then suffered a catastrophic slowdown.

whydoIneedatech
17-09-2008, 23:53
I dont have any latency problems with WOW, the game reports about 25-50 ms, as does speedtest.net

What I do have problems with is my download speed, it is up to a blistering 1 Mb/s right now, has been down to 100 kb/s over the last few days.

I did talk to someone from Virgin, the recorded message about the fault in RG24 shouldn't have been there. Apparently my PC is too slow, having disabled my startup programs (AV, firewall etc) hasn't helped, so I guess I need a new PC.

Amazing how my PC was fast enough until Friday and then suffered a catastrophic slowdown.
Is it an XP machine if so have you tried a netstat -an to see how many listening and established connections you may have as it may just be a spyware issue.

keefie
19-09-2008, 02:25
I have XP, very little to report from netstat

I also have a laptop with vista, it also shows very slow download speeds, as does my other desktop when i fired it up for a comparison

keefie
22-09-2008, 20:48
I have now also tried my dad's laptop, which can cope with 5+ Mb/s on his connection. Either through my router or direct into the cable modem it only gets 100-1200 kb/s here

I guess if VM cant provide me with the 4 Mb/s I am paying for I could always downgrade my account to a level which they can provide

keefie
23-09-2008, 01:02
I talked to an indian sounding guy and he didnt go through all the rebooting business, he went straight to to sending me a new modem. He says my old one cannot support the 10 Mb/s speed I now have - i guess it got upgraded 10 days ago leading to the drop in speed here.

Thing is, if VM know that my modem wont work with 10 Mb/s why dont they send me a new one BEFORE they upgrade my speed?

whydoIneedatech
23-09-2008, 19:29
I talked to an indian sounding guy and he didnt go through all the rebooting business, he went straight to to sending me a new modem. He says my old one cannot support the 10 Mb/s speed I now have - i guess it got upgraded 10 days ago leading to the drop in speed here.

Thing is, if VM know that my modem wont work with 10 Mb/s why dont they send me a new one BEFORE they upgrade my speed?
What modem do you have at the moment then?

Ignitionnet
23-09-2008, 23:29
Are you on the Telia servers for WOW as they have known issues with latency on VM, and both Telia and VM are working towards a solution.

Telia host all the WoW servers.

Still working towards a solution? Jeeze there've been issues for over a year now. Can't say I am going to blame a tier 1 ISP over Virgin Media considering their recent and not so recent routing issues.

Have the old issues re-occured again after the last fix?

whydoIneedatech
23-09-2008, 23:31
Telia host all the WoW servers.

Still working towards a solution? Jeeze there've been issues for over a year now. Can't say I am going to blame a tier 1 ISP over Virgin Media considering their recent and not so recent routing issues.
Closer to 18 months, sshhh keep it quiet.:rofl::rofl: