PDA

View Full Version : Cant access Internet

daveyboyd
16-09-2008, 08:21
I have just clean installed XP Pro on my Desktop PC. Previously it was connected via a Netgear Router using an ADSL (Sky) connection and worked fine. I now have no router and it is hard wired via an ethernet cable using Virgin Broadband. However, I cannot get an internet connection. It says Limited or no connectivity and when I try to repair the connection I get no response. Fixes I have tried:

Net Shell resets - no difference

ipconfig /flushdns - no difference

ipconfig /release /renew (via CMD promt) - message says no contact with your DHCP server . . .

Unistalling Network Adapter Drivers (Realtek) - no difference

Now, when I have tried to access the default control page of the cable modem (Motorola) at the default ip 192.168.10.1 IE says it cannot open the search page.

The only thing I done which changed anything is when I changed the windows firewall settings of the connection to off, this then said that it was connected but I couldnt get anything on IE.

Could someone please shed some light on this for me, I would appriciate it greatly.

Dave

Kymmy
16-09-2008, 09:03
Is this a cable modem or ADSL as virgin broadband comes as either? Was it installed by an engineer or by yourself?

Also the modem config pages are on 192.168.100.1

Moved to correct forum

daveyboyd
16-09-2008, 09:16
Its a cable modem, I know the connection and the modem works as I have an older PC which I can connect to the internet using the same ethernet cable. This is a PC based problem in that respect.

Thomas.Fisk
16-09-2008, 11:13
Unplug the modem and plug it back in again; sounds like it's bonded to the MAC address of the router or the other computer. You need to reset the modem whenever you change the device it's plugged into.

Richy99
16-09-2008, 12:15
reboot the modem