PDA

View Full Version : Travel in Europe but not part of union

printerman
15-09-2008, 16:50
I'm going to France with work for the day on Thursday but have to fly to geneva (Switzerland) and then enter that way. I have the new e111 thingy but i'm not sure about health cover as Switzerland is not part of the union.

Any opinions on this....do i need special cover of what?

Chris
15-09-2008, 16:53
The European Health Insurance Card is valid in Switzerland, so you're covered for the basics, but TBH if you're travelling on business your employer should have adequate health insurance cover in place should anything happen to you.

http://www.nhs.uk/EHIC/Pages/About.aspx

Halcyon
15-09-2008, 17:02
For only one day's worth out there, I wouldnt worry about it.

Watching You
16-09-2008, 15:32
The E111 allows you to receive the equivalent of the National Health in the respective member country. This should not be confused with medical insurance, which is altogether different, for example under insurance you may be covered for additional benefits such as emergency dental treatment if you loose a filling or crack a tooth and are in pain. With the E111 you are not, plus any medication you require you have to pay for, whereas with insurance you can claim this back.

Plus with serious illnesses you are covered, to be repatriated home whereas with an E111 you are not covered for this. You should be OK providing you do not do anything stupid, like a headstand on the balcony of 20th floor of your hotel whilst drunk and falling over - that some insurance companies would claim invalidates your policy.

The reason I mention this is because with some of the newer accession countries (Poland, Latvia etc) into the EU the standard of the health system in parts is below that of our NHS. Therefore you would benefit from taking out additional holiday insurance. I speak from experience here having visited a Polish hospital, in 2006 but had insurance.

Because you are travelling for work your employer has a duty of care for your insurance. However, if you decide to take leave whilst overseas, you would be responsible to cover your own period whilst on leave.

However, Swiss and French hospitals are generally better than our NHS.

printerman
17-09-2008, 08:52
Thankyou all for your advice. Its going to be a long day. Not sure i will even get to work on the Friday!

Any way, i've decided to get a cab from the airport rather than hire a car. I'm unhappy doing that for multiple reasons. Plus i'll get reimbursed so sod it...make my life easy.

Next question. I'm getting a cab from Geneva into France. Going approx 75km. ~50 miles. I was going to get a few hundred euros for cab and a few spots of food. Nothing extravagent. Probably just sandwich and something later back at airport. Will Euros do and is 200 enough.? I've never traveled in that area.

Thanks.