PDA

View Full Version : Router recommendations anyone?

thighguy_uk
14-09-2008, 21:54
Seeing that the router market is a minefield, i just wondered if anyone has any useful reviews/suggestions about choice of router for the VM XL Package.

I currently run Vista 64Bit Ultimate, for my sins, and have the NTL 255 Modem. Had great reliability and stability with my Linksys BEFSR41 but its a little dated now, and i need Wireless for the Wifes Wii.

I then plumped for a Linksys WRT160N, great to set up, but an absolute devil to keep connected, and boy oh boy does it get warm. Possibly the reason for the disconnects. Stuck my old BEFSR41 back on and all is well.

So now i need to go and replace the WRT160N for something else. Was looking at the Belkin N1 range but also i quite like the Netgear WNR3500

Anyone any recommends?

Cheers peeps

dogbrush
14-09-2008, 23:00
I spent months wondering why my 20Mb connection only gave 7-8Mb max. Just tonight realised my trusty old BEFSR41 v2 could only do 10Mb on the WAN. I've tonight ordered a new linksys WRT54GL (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-052-LS) - reading around it looks like it ticks all my boxes, it's firmware is open source and it's a linksys! :)

warescouse
14-09-2008, 23:40
And.... if you carefully follow the instructions and read up on and load the free DD-WRT or Tomato firmware you can get the benefits of a router that would normally cost 100's of pounds. Only for real enthusiasts though! If you don't do it correctly you could write off your router.

dogbrush
14-09-2008, 23:53
And.... if you carefully follow the instructions and read up on and load the free DD-WRT or Tomato firmware you can get the benefits of a router that would normally cost 100's of pounds. Only for real enthusiasts though! If you don't do it correctly you could write off your router.

Would you recommend it though? You can fubar any hardware that allows firmware upgrades, I haven't tried this badboy - you have.. worth the money? :)

RizzyKing
16-09-2008, 20:13
I had the XL till i got fed up of it and i used a edimax br6104k router and never had any problems terrific little thing and was quite cheap as well think it was about £25.

mikejones_uk
16-09-2008, 20:52
I've been using the Netgear WNR834B Rangemax router for the last year and a half. I've found it to be most reliable. My only wish is it had GigE ports as opposed to 100TX. That would be nice for copying BIG files or maybe some SAN type storage. Other than that I can't complain. I also find that it's MIMO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO) technology has helped when connecting Wi-Fi stuff from the other side of the house from where my cable comes in. Well, that's my 0.011 pence worth (at the current rate :-)