PDA

View Full Version : I managed to sort my slow connection problem

carl2k2
13-09-2008, 19:04
Well I had the problem all day so decided to do something about it, I did try resetting my modem, that didnt work, then got a little furstrated, ut then I remembered that before I had this problem I would boot up the PC and realise the modem hasnt booted up, so I tried doing this again, plugged in the power for the modem and the ethernet cable, then turned restarted my PC, I got logged in and then powered up the modem, (its not on official modem), and it worked, the speed seems to be back to normal, 1900kbps / 180kbps

Sirius
13-09-2008, 19:13
, (its not on official modem),

What do you mean by that

carl2k2
13-09-2008, 19:40
What do you mean by that
its like 10 years old, i mean now virgin media provide there own modems or you get NTL modems etc its called surfboard :P

whydoIneedatech
13-09-2008, 19:48
Do you mean it is a Motorola Surfboard modem that was supplied by Virginmedia in one of its previous incarnations.

What model is it and what size package are you on.

carl2k2
13-09-2008, 20:03
Do you mean it is a Motorola Surfboard modem that was supplied by Virginmedia in one of its previous incarnations.

What model is it and what size package are you on.

oh, its sb4100
it is a pretty good modem :)
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/11/52.gif

whydoIneedatech
13-09-2008, 20:28
Thats a Standard Virgin modem, but what package are you on 2Mb, 4/10mb or 20mb?

rghnaish
10-12-2008, 19:31
Thats a Standard Virgin modem, but what package are you on 2Mb, 4/10mb or 20mb?

I saw this recent post and hope you don't mind if I jump in. I am using a surfboard 4100 like this since I have been on NTL broadband since 2001. I now get the 10mb service but really only get a speed of 5-7mb. If I upgrade my modem with VM will I see nearer to 10mb? or should I hang on to something that at least works...and has done without fault for 7 years?

xocemp
10-12-2008, 21:05
The 4100 should do around 12 Meg

whydoIneedatech
10-12-2008, 22:17
The 4100 should do around 12 Meg
On paper yes but in practice no, they get swapped when seen on accounts running 10Mb or more.

Why bother posting what you think it is capable of, when we at the sharp end will say otherwise, would you rather we just left you with an old bit of kit.;)

Remember you said "should do around 12Mb", would you not prefer a modem that can easily do 20Mb plus without a struggle.

jkenney
10-12-2008, 22:42
my sb4100 handles 10mbit perfectly, as long as it's 5:30am. why bother with a modem that can handle over 20mbit when you only pay for 10? these old sb4100s seem quite reliable & they do handle 10mbit, it's just virgin that can't handle 10mbit in a lot of areas due to over subscription.

whydoIneedatech
10-12-2008, 22:43
my sb4100 handles 10mbit perfectly, as long as it's 5:30am.
Should try getting it replaced if on 10Mb.;)

jkenney
10-12-2008, 22:51
actually, its pretty close to 10mbit now, my connection has been pretty good for a couple of days. when it works properly, i get full speed.

i can't see why the modem can handle 10mbit in the dead of night, but not during peak internet usage hours, i really don't think that can be the modem's fault.

i've also heard that some of the newer modems can be less reliable.

it is a big ugly thing though, the newer ones i've seen are smaller. if i upgrade to 20mbit, then i'll ask for a new modem, but i don't think i've got a reason to at the moment.

whydoIneedatech
10-12-2008, 23:00
actually, its pretty close to 10mbit now, my connection has been pretty good for a couple of days. when it works properly, i get full speed.

i can't see why the modem can handle 10mbit in the dead of night, but not during peak internet usage hours, i really don't think that can be the modem's fault.

i've also heard that some of the newer modems can be less reliable.

it is a big ugly thing though, the newer ones i've seen are smaller. if i upgrade to 20mbit, then i'll ask for a new modem, but i don't think i've got a reason to at the moment.
It does not handle the speed well because it is old and rather tired and the replacement would be the Ambit 256 which is a pretty good bit of kit.

jkenney
10-12-2008, 23:01
I do only seem to get 384kbit max upload speed though. Could that be the old modem, or is it because I'm ex-Telewest? Will it be upgraded to 512kbit soon?

xocemp
10-12-2008, 23:02
On paper yes but in practice no, they get swapped when seen on accounts running 10Mb or more.

Why bother posting what you think it is capable of, when we at the sharp end will say otherwise, would you rather we just left you with an old bit of kit.;)

Remember you said "should do around 12Mb", would you not prefer a modem that can easily do 20Mb plus without a struggle.

I posted because I know they will do more than 10 meg and I used should as a top end speed though I have had one running a 17 meg.

Is it really process to swap what seems to be a good modem for another one because a customer has a speed issue?
I'd have thought a little trouble shooting would be needed first. I'll e-mail one or two of the first-line team leaders in Liverpool on Monday, swapping a modem before any investigating just doesn't sound right to me. If the slow speeds are caused by a local RF issue or a network issue then sending a new modem to cure it will only cause a repeat call and frustrate the customer.

jkenney
10-12-2008, 23:10
Can I just phone up & get a new modem for free, no hassle? Would it seriously make any difference? Like I said, for the last 2 days it's been working really well, I have had the full 10mbit earlier today, it was about 9.3mbit half an hour ago. I usually got the full 10mbit in the early hours before. Best ping times are in the 15-20ms range, when it's working full speed.

I think the problems I was having were nothing to do with my modem & hopefully they have been fixed now.

whydoIneedatech
10-12-2008, 23:17
I posted because I know they will do more than 10 meg and I used should as a top end speed though I have had one running a 17 meg.

Is it really process to swap what seems to be a good modem for another one because a customer has a speed issue?
I'd have thought a little trouble shooting would be needed first. I'll e-mail one or two of the first-line team leaders in Liverpool on Monday, swapping a modem before any investigating just doesn't sound right to me. If the slow speeds are caused by a local RF issue or a network issue then sending a new modem to cure it will only cause a repeat call and frustrate the customer.
Troubleshooting is always done correctly by UK staff, but that modem as well as its predecessor the SB3100 are known to struggle so your emails will have little impact as the quality of service has a higher priority than the possibility that a modem can do up to "17Mb" does not come into it.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/105.jpg

Motorola 4100
From December 2000/January 2001 Customers started to receive the Motorola 4100. It is Docsis only (so will not work reliably if at all, on the parts of the network that use Eurodocsis). The 4100 models was Ethernet and USB, and Motorola soon introduced a model with USB as well, the 4100 (see below). Apart from the USB connector the 4100 also had a Standby button on the front. The 4100 remained in use until approximately October 2001.

Does not support 10 or 20Mbps Tiers of Service

Taken from the Chetnet Knowledge Base pages (http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4)

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

Can I just phone up & get a new modem for free, no hassle? Would it seriously make any difference? Like I said, for the last 2 days it's been working really well, I have had the full 10mbit earlier today, it was about 9.3mbit half an hour ago. I usually got the full 10mbit in the early hours before. Best ping times are in the 15-20ms range, when it's working full speed.

I think the problems I was having were nothing to do with my modem & hopefully they have been fixed now.
Ring up and get your connection checked out during the day.

Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

jkenney
10-12-2008, 23:21
while it works for me i'll stick with it, unless virgin contact me. if i have any more trouble, i'll mention i'm using an old modem when i call.

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:19 ----------

is the 384kbit max upload an ex telewest thing, or could that be caused by my modem?

whydoIneedatech
10-12-2008, 23:25
while it works for me i'll stick with it, unless virgin contact me. if i have any more trouble, i'll mention i'm using an old modem when i call.

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:19 ----------

is the 384kbit max upload an ex telewest thing, or could that be caused by my modem?
If you are on 10Mb you should get closer to 512kbit not 384kbit which was the 4Mb upload so you may need to call them sooner than you think.

jkenney
10-12-2008, 23:33
heres my speed test results, not too bad at all for 11:30pm. it'll probably be full speed after 1am. usually i struggle to load a web page at this time in the evening, but the last 2 days have been ok.

i've had downloads at over 1mbyte a second, up to 1.2 during the day today.

looks like i do get a bit more than 38kbit upload, but i've never seen 512kbit upload.

Download Failed (1) (http://www.speed.io)

xocemp
10-12-2008, 23:34
Specifications Motorola 4100 (http://www.grandecom.net/site-file.php?fid=17)
Perhaps one of the the guys/ladies who work on 1st line support can post their thoughts.
I look forward to round 3 of your oneupmanship.

moaningmags
11-12-2008, 01:44
I had a Motorola Surfboard 4100 since I first went onto broadband.
I took all upgrades as they came along until I was on 20Mb and had no problems achieving the full 2.3MB/s.
I'd still have this modem if it wasn't for the screwed up firmware update that made the send/receive lights when they previously hadn't.
Only had it swapped out cos it was annoying after 5 or 6 years with 4 solid green lights.
Seems to be some can, some can't achieve 20Mb, my feelings are it depends on the firmware the modem has.

jkenney
11-12-2008, 04:43
well, looks like mine is maxing at around 9mbit, at least according to speed.io not quite getting the full upload speed either. maybe i should get a new modem, see if get that extra 1mbit, but it doesn't really worry me, as long as it works.

Download Failed (1) (http://www.speed.io)

---------- Post added at 04:43 ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 ----------

Taken from the Chetnet Knowledge Base pages (http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4)

Is that a virgin media site? Is it official policy to upgrade the old modems for 10mbit users? I'm sure I've read elsewhere on this forum that it was only 20mbit users. can i just phone 151, ask for a new modem & get one with no fuss? usually my calls to them involve 45 minutes of being on hold & having to reboot my computer, before they give up.

whydoIneedatech
11-12-2008, 07:10
Specifications Motorola 4100 (http://www.grandecom.net/site-file.php?fid=17)
Perhaps one of the the guys/ladies who work on 1st line support can post their thoughts.
I look forward to round 3 of your oneupmanship.

It is not a question of oneupmanship because even the Ambit 256 and all the previous 20Mb capable modems claim to be capable of up to 42Mb speeds and the SB3100/4100 series are deemed not to support 10Mb or above so should be replaced unless on a 2Mb package for customer satisfaction.

I would prefer if I was a customer to have as decent modem not one that can be getting on for over 6 years old sitting on my desk, especially considering how much you pay for the service.

Why have you got a bee in your bonnet over this as you obviously do not work in first line tech support, or would you prefer us to work from a script as per elsewhere and not think for ourselves when given all the relevant facts.

Do you even think that the DPX series are a decent modem and should not be replaced either, any thoughts on them and what the common issue can be on the DPX100 modem, plus any of the early NTL supplied modems do you deem they are all good and fit for purpose and do not have failings as well, do not use specification links but hands on knowledge like we do, but I again I forget you are not a first line support agent and of course will be totally unaware of any issues regards Virgin supplied modems.

rghnaish
11-12-2008, 08:11
I saw this recent post and hope you don't mind if I jump in. I am using a surfboard 4100 like this since I have been on NTL broadband since 2001. I now get the 10mb service but really only get a speed of 5-7mb. If I upgrade my modem with VM will I see nearer to 10mb? or should I hang on to something that at least works...and has done without fault for 7 years?

well thanks everyone for all their posts on this. You are are so knowledgeable; I am just a 'capable amateur'! It seems there are two schools of thought: 1) 'It should work ok on paper and don't fix it if not broke' school versus 2) 'Hey a modem that is easily capable of 10 or 20mb is better than your 8 year old sb4100, so just get it replaced'. Well I rang up vm and said I was not getting full 10mb on this 8 year old modem and they put a new one is in the post for me. So fingers crossed it works better.:)

Welshchris
11-12-2008, 08:36
I sorted mine out also, since i started using a Netgear WGR614V9 3 days ago my speed dropped from around 19.7 to around 11mb.

Now i dropped the MTU from 1500 to 1452.

Whats weird about it tho where before my download speed used to fluctuate up and down i downloaded 2 files earlier and the speed stuck exactly on 2.3mb and didnt move it was so weird lol.

Now i get ...

http://speed.io/pics/1437/6628/speed.io.png (http://www.speed.io)

whydoIneedatech
11-12-2008, 08:36
well thanks everyone for all their posts on this. You are are so knowledgeable; I am just a 'capable amateur'! It seems there are two schools of thought: 1) 'It should work ok on paper and don't fix it if not broke' school versus 2) 'Hey a modem that is easily capable of 10 or 20mb is better than your 8 year old sb4100, so just get it replaced'. Well I rang up vm and said I was not getting full 10mb on this 8 year old modem and they put a new one is in the post for me. So fingers crossed it works better.:)
I must say I am not in the least bit surprised as it is better to nip an issue in the bud than wait for a major issue to arise and to have the customer angry and unhappy.

You spoke to a Tech Support agent who ran tests and confirmed your modem was the issue and replaced it for you, as per normal procedure, which an email to First Line Managers is not going to stop as Virgin want the customer to have a great customer experience with the agent.

broadbandking
11-12-2008, 09:21
well, looks like mine is maxing at around 9mbit, at least according to speed.io not quite getting the full upload speed either. maybe i should get a new modem, see if get that extra 1mbit, but it doesn't really worry me, as long as it works.

http://speed.io/pics/1437/3620/speed.io.png (http://www.speed.io)

---------- Post added at 04:43 ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 ----------

Is that a virgin media site? Is it official policy to upgrade the old modems for 10mbit users? I'm sure I've read elsewhere on this forum that it was only 20mbit users. can i just phone 151, ask for a new modem & get one with no fuss? usually my calls to them involve 45 minutes of being on hold & having to reboot my computer, before they give up.

If I was you leave it your download speed is fine and so is your upload

xocemp
11-12-2008, 11:12
jkenney Your speed tests would indicate that there is no issue with your cable modem.
Did the agent you spoke to bother to take power levels & SNR from your modem as read out by you from the modems configuration page?
If so and the levels were in tolerance were you told he/she did was checking for any known issues?
At any point did the advisor contact his/her support, 2nd line for advice?

If you fit the modem and continue to have intermittent speed issues, call the center and make sure the above steps are carried out.

whydoIneedatech, I am not e-mailing First line mangers to have it stopped, read my post again and digest it.
I'm mailing because I am not first line and the advise given of sending out a modem without making any checks just seems like a backward process. I'm mailing for clarity on this!
I'm not going to squabble with you in a public forum. You have a PM!

whydoIneedatech
11-12-2008, 11:21
jkenney Your speed tests would indicate that there is no issue with your cable modem.
Did the agent you spoke to bother to take power levels & SNR from your modem as read out by you from the modems configuration page?
If so and the levels were in tolerance were you told he/she did was checking for any known issues?

If you fit the modem and continue to have intermittent speed issues, call the center and make sure the above steps are carried out.

whydoIneedatech, I am not e-mailing First line mangers to have it stopped, read my post again and digest it.
I'm mailing because I am not first line and the advise given of sending out a modem without making any checks just seems like a backward process. I'm mailing for clarity on this!
Checks would be made and a modem will only be sent out if it fits the right criteria as otherwise we would get feedback about it, so no worries there.

xocemp
11-12-2008, 11:26
Should try getting it replaced if on 10Mb.;)

Would, should or had been made?

rghnaish
11-12-2008, 11:33
the agent didn't run any checks actually, just sent out a new modem to replace my sb4100 when I said I get 5-6MB on a 10mb service. I called at 11am and did the 151 then 3 and got thru *very* quickly which was great. I got a 'not that technical' person at a callcentre in India . If I want to get hold of someone who is tech and can run appropriate tests, what time of day should I call 151?

Magilla
11-12-2008, 11:34

No, they don't. I've enquired about this several times via the newsgroup and on the phone, at every stage everyone has said the 4100 is fine for 10Mb. I have never been offered a replacement.

xocemp
11-12-2008, 15:12
the agent didn't run any checks actually, just sent out a new modem to replace my sb4100 when I said I get 5-6MB on a 10mb service. I called at 11am and did the 151 then 3 and got thru *very* quickly which was great. I got a 'not that technical' person at a callcentre in India . If I want to get hold of someone who is tech and can run appropriate tests, what time of day should I call 151?

Before 8pm or 10pm for the fine 1st liners in Scotland.
With luck you'll get through to a competent agent in Liverpool or Scotland.
This rubbish of sending out new kit as a fast fix by incompetent agents needs to be stopped, it causes nothing more than frustrated customers and a waste of money with the added touch of having to pay those on/offshore agents that need retraining or given a P45.

pabscars
11-12-2008, 15:42
Before 8pm or 10pm for the fine 1st liners in Scotland.
With luck you'll get through to a competent agent in Liverpool or Scotland.
This rubbish of sending out new kit as a fast fix by incompetent agents needs to be stopped, it causes nothing more than frustrated customers and a waste of money with the added touch of having to pay those on/offshore agents that need retraining or given a P45.

i would have to aggree with you there xocemp, another instance for me was last week, came home started my xbox and a few hours later my connection was gone, so i phoned Vm tech support for help, and they said my router was at fault and would send another new free netgear one,
i said this is only 2 months old but he was adamant it was my router, he didnt run through any diagnostics, and didnt even ask me to bypass the router to prove the fact,
i put the phone down after thanking him for his help, then removed the router and tried direct through the modem, and guess what,,,,, no connection.

so i rang up again to be told there was no fault on vm's part, but then all of a sudden the Tech support chap said, "oh yes there is a problem with dhcp release not issuing new ip address's or something like that, and i would have to wait it out.

So after waiting till the following day to see if it had been sorted and still having no internet connection, i went into my router config page, had a play and was back up a running within 15 minutes.

to my surprise two days later a new router turned up at my doorstep courtesy of VM, to which ive had to pay a 7.50 handling charge..

this could have been avoided with a little diagnostic help instead of being fobbed off at the first hurdle.

xocemp
11-12-2008, 16:59
Call and have the handling charge credited back to your account, you should not have to be out of pocket. And if you feel strongly enough about being given the run round tell the agent you wish to raise a complaint against the agent who fobbed you off.
Don't put the phone down until you are given a reference #

Same for you rghnaish. When you get your new modem and still suffer slow speeds, call and make sure checks are done. Call CS, you want credit for the time you have not had a full service since sending a modem didn't cure it. Have the CS agent raise a complaint against the one that sent a modem without troubleshooting.
All of you, you don't need to put up with this, the more feedback via a complaints procedure the better. You are paying for their technical knowledge make sure you get it.

jkenney
11-12-2008, 17:57

i only usually call when it stops working totally & i've got time to kill. last time, i had a 45 min call, they checked the signal levels & everything seemed ok, rebooted a few times, they changed the frequencies on my modem, but i still couldn't get an ip or connect. they never mentioned upgrading my modem. eventually they gave up, 10 minutes after putting the phone down i was back online. that was when i was still on 4mbit though, just before my area was upgraded to 10mbit.

i've been having a few more intermittent problems today, but i still don't think it's my modem. i might call & get a new one anyway. the new ones are smaller & look nicer, if nothing else.

pabscars
12-12-2008, 08:34
Call and have the handling charge credited back to your account, you should not have to be out of pocket. And if you feel strongly enough about being given the run round tell the agent you wish to raise a complaint against the agent who fobbed you off.
Don't put the phone down until you are given a reference #

Same for you rghnaish. When you get your new modem and still suffer slow speeds, call and make sure checks are done. Call CS, you want credit for the time you have not had a full service since sending a modem didn't cure it. Have the CS agent raise a complaint against the one that sent a modem without troubleshooting.
All of you, you don't need to put up with this, the more feedback via a complaints procedure the better. You are paying for their technical knowledge make sure you get it.

Hi Noggo, ive called and supposedly been credited, which will show on my next bill, so thanks for that.

i,m not too hopefull though because my last two month's bill's were supposed to have been reduced, to reflect my slow speeds, but guess what they have not.

i did try 3 times explaining to the woman from Bangladesh but gave up in the end, as she failed to see my point, ( slow internet=reduced bill=credit,,,,,,,,,)

so i said thanks for your help, and put the phone down, some times its just easier to wash your your hands of the situation. Ive got enough stress in my life at the moment, and i,m thankfull that my speeds have improved, so i dont mind paying full whack,,,,

i have made one complaint in the past via email, and it was dealt with extremely well and proffesionally by a nice chap at wythenshawe , response was within 24 hours and issues sorted within a couple of days, so i would recommend this for anyone with a serious issue. what i did what, when i wrote my email to complaints, i slipped in a little joke, and tried to keep it positive all the way through, and never once slated VM, i believe this is what the difference in my case, as the first thing i was told by the chap in CC, was that he Pi**ed himself laughing at my joke,, which started things off on a healthy note.

---------- Post added at 08:34 ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 ----------

my apologies the thread should have have started Hi xocemp

popper
12-12-2008, 09:36
theres a unspoken problem here getting these old sb4100 replaced by VM though is there not.

the fact is many of these old sb4100 and related CMs have infact been purchased by the users and so cant be charged for the rental of their unit as the current NTL255/VM250 DS2.0a chipset units are.

if VM replace these payed for old units for a NTL255/VM250 DS2.0a chipset unit then the VM accounting will automaticly charge these people the generic VM rental price as per everyone else will they not!

and OC these people that did buy their old CM units in the past from the old francises cant easly be moved over to the new DS2.0b/3.0 infrastructure VM want everyone on at some point later.

and so they cant take advantage of these DS2.0a bandwidth saving as i assume VM dont want to be introducing DS1.0/1.1 talk from these old purchased modems on the DS2.0b/3.0 infrastructure, and might just credit the rental charge back to these peoples accounts if they get given/accept the real DS2.0a capable NTL/VM modems.

remember VM (or any before them) dont use the old DS2.0a capabilitys as yet, not until the DS2.0B/3.0 infrastructure is in place, the UBRs cards are upgraded, the old DS2.0a capable modems are moved over, AND a New DS2.0a config file is sent to the units.

do the people still using these old payed for units now accept a rental charge they didnt pay before as they own the units and dont rent them, if they were sent a new official 20Mbit (32Mbit real top speeds on the current VM network all things being equal OC)capable DS2.0a NTL255/VM250 modem ?.

whydoIneedatech
12-12-2008, 11:01
theres a unspoken problem here getting these old sb4100 replaced by VM though is there not.

the fact is many of these old sb4100 and related CMs have infact been purchased by the users and so cant be charged for the rental of their unit as the current NTL255/VM250 DS2.0a chipset units are.

if VM replace these payed for old units for a NTL255/VM250 DS2.0a chipset unit then the VM accounting will automaticly charge these people the generic VM rental price as per everyone else will they not!

and OC these people that did buy their old CM units in the past from the old francises cant easly be moved over to the new DS2.0b/3.0 infrastructure VM want everyone on at some point later.

and so they cant take advantage of these DS2.0a bandwidth saving as i assume VM dont want to be introducing DS1.0/1.1 talk from these old purchased modems on the DS2.0b/3.0 infrastructure, and might just credit the rental charge back to these peoples accounts if they get given/accept the real DS2.0a capable NTL/VM modems.

remember VM (or any before them) dont use the old DS2.0a capabilitys as yet, not until the DS2.0B/3.0 infrastructure is in place, the UBRs cards are upgraded, the old DS2.0a capable modems are moved over, AND a New DS2.0a config file is sent to the units.

do the people still using these old payed for units now accept a rental charge they didnt pay before as they own the units and dont rent them, if they were sent a new official 20Mbit (32Mbit real top speeds on the current VM network all things being equal OC)capable DS2.0a NTL255/VM250 modem ?.
If a customer is on a 10Mb or more connection and is on a SB4100 should they be offered an upgrade if the is an issue regards their speed and everything else appears to be normal after the usual checks with it being very old kit.

whydoIneedatech
16-12-2008, 15:28
i only usually call when it stops working totally & i've got time to kill. last time, i had a 45 min call, they checked the signal levels & everything seemed ok, rebooted a few times, they changed the frequencies on my modem, but i still couldn't get an ip or connect. they never mentioned upgrading my modem. eventually they gave up, 10 minutes after putting the phone down i was back online. that was when i was still on 4mbit though, just before my area was upgraded to 10mbit.

i've been having a few more intermittent problems today, but i still don't think it's my modem. i might call & get a new one anyway. the new ones are smaller & look nicer, if nothing else.
Did you get it sorted out