PDA

View Full Version : Modem install procedure? Did I mess up? what's the next step

nafe12
12-09-2008, 12:53
So the girlfriend took the laptop to work today (no comp at home)

Later our new cable modem arrived. Great, I thought I'll activate it

Ring up tech support, do the account verification, give the mac address.
then go through the following procedure

check the lights on the modem (ready & synch)
he does some stuff, lights start flashing
lights eventually stop flashing
he asks me to disconnect the cable and the power - wait 30 secs and put them back
I do that - put them back. It comes on, lots of flashing, eventually ready & synch come on.

****Before I get a chance to explain this the battery of my mobile phone runs out.
And I only have a USB charger which was with the laptop.

Question is - what are the next steps? Have I bricked this modem? Should I run to the neighbours and ring back asap or wait until evening (are there more tests, etc?)

Luckily I have a desktop and can access the neighbours wifi :)

Nafe

Graham M
12-09-2008, 13:05
Luckily I have a desktop and can access the neighbours wifi :)

If you were a really good neighbour, you'd show them how to secure it ;) Anyways in between all this rebooting of the Modem have you rebooted the computer? Might be a good idea :) Also, do you have a router?

nafe12
12-09-2008, 13:22
the computer is gone - with the girlfriend. i guess i could connect it to this comp... but didnt want to bother cos usually we have it with the laptop then adhoc share (this is the first time the laptop's moved in like 4 months). i.e. no router

just wondering if it was at the all systems go state, or should i ring back immediately (i.e. is it half activated or somethign)

heh yeh well the neighbour gave me their network pwd for a few days while my modem was replaced

smackheadz
12-09-2008, 14:56
[heh yeh well the neighbour gave me their network pwd for a few days while my modem was replaced[/QUOTE]

thats a good neighbour ya got there :nutter:but when youve finished with their connection i would tell them to change their password cos if anything goes belly up youre gonna be blamed:notme:

BenMcr
12-09-2008, 15:08
If it is replacing an existing modem, then once you have told BB support you have got it and they have updated their records there is nothing more you have to do.

If it is a new install or replacing a STB BB connection, then you have to register

nafe12
12-09-2008, 19:00
well the laptop came home - plugged it in - online reg process - success :P