PDA

View Full Version : When Someone Rings My House, They Dont Know Whether Its Busy or Not

i-Set
11-09-2008, 16:17
hey guys just wanted a quick insight into vm telephone service. basically i have family and friends complaining to me that i dont pick up or never at home, but the thing is im always on the phone to someone else, but when somone rings me when the telephone is occupied by me then they dont know its engaged. like they dont hear any tone or voice saying this line is busy, it just rings like normal....does this happen to everyone or isit just me?

thanks in advance for all answers :)

djmagnifique
11-09-2008, 20:01
Sounds like you have call waiting active on your line.

when your on a call and someone else calls you, you should hear a beep every few seconds to let you know you have another call, you tap the hang up button to switch between calls.

i-Set
12-09-2008, 01:17
Sounds like you have call waiting active on your line.

when your on a call and someone else calls you, you should hear a beep every few seconds to let you know you have another call, you tap the hang up button to switch between calls.

yh :) thats right...i do have call waiting...so does that it mean if i have it then people who ring me while i am on the phone will not be able to tell that it is engaged or not?

so if i take off call waiting...people will be able to tell that it is engaged?

djmagnifique
12-09-2008, 08:09
yes

dave_dph
13-09-2008, 09:40
yh :) thats right...i do have call waiting...so does that it mean if i have it then people who ring me while i am on the phone will not be able to tell that it is engaged or not?

so if i take off call waiting...people will be able to tell that it is engaged?

Depending on the type of switch installed at your franchise Call Waiting works in one of two ways:

1. Incoming callers receive the ringing tone whilst you are on an active call. You receive the Call Waiting beeps which gives you the option to switch to the waiting call by hitting your phone's recall button. You can then switch between the two calls using recall. To finish either call, just hang up on the call you want to end, your phone will ring after a couple of seconds connecting you to the call that was on hold.
On this switch type it is possible to deactivate Call Waiting on a "per call" basis, usually by dialling *72 before dialing the number you want to call.

2. Incoming callers will recive an exchange message stating that you are on another call, but you are aware that another call is coming through. You will receive the Call Waiting beeps which again gives you the option of switching to the waiting call. You would need to refer to telephone service user guide for your area in order to establish the correct key presses for switching to the waiting call and back.
On this switch you can switch Call Waiting on and off but not on a "per call" basis. You use a code to switch it on and another to switch it off, usually *43# to switch on and #43# to switch off.

With either system, if you ignore the beeps and do not take the waiting call, you can use 1471 to find the number of the caller that was waiting - providing of course their number was available.

i-Set
14-09-2008, 16:09
^^^^ wow an informative answer...repped :d

i think im numero uno. is there any way that i can change to number two so people know im on the phone and still have call waiting? sorry if i keep going on

dave_dph
14-09-2008, 19:59
^^^^ wow an informative answer...repped :d

i think im numero uno. is there any way that i can change to number two so people know im on the phone and still have call waiting? sorry if i keep going on

No, the DMS switch only provides a ringing tone to incoming callers when you are busy and have Call Waiting active on the line.

I guess my first question has to be why don't you take the second call when you hear the beeps? If you just ask your current caller to hold for a second, hit recall and see who the waiting caller is, you could then tell them you will call back, or ask them to hold whilst you finish your first call.

If you don't want to do this then my second question would be why do you have Call Waiting active on your line?

Visitor
15-09-2008, 08:34
2. Incoming callers will recive an exchange message stating

Has anyone got this ? because Ive never known anyone with it, and I know people all around the country with Virgin Media lines.

Since I left BT, this was one of the annoying problems

dave_dph
15-09-2008, 14:48
Has anyone got this ? because Ive never known anyone with it, and I know people all around the country with Virgin Media lines.

Since I left BT, this was one of the annoying problems

It's the System X switch that gives the Call Waiting exchange announcement.

In the ex-Telewest areas, both the Midlands (not Birmingham) and North West franchises have the System X switch. I believe some NTL areas were System X too.

Visitor
15-09-2008, 22:19
Well I had BT System X in Coventry when it started

dave_dph
16-09-2008, 07:31
Well I had BT System X in Coventry when it started

So are you saying you are on System X with VM and callers do not get the exchange message?

Mace
16-09-2008, 17:17
So are you saying you are on System X with VM and callers do not get the exchange message?

There is no VM "System X" switch for the Coventry area never have had , its a "Nortel DMS" .............

dave_dph
16-09-2008, 18:53
There is no VM "System X" switch for the Coventry area never have had , its a "Nortel DMS" .............

That explains the missing exchange message then ;)

Visitor
16-09-2008, 21:49
Never new VM was using system x, always thought it was BT

dave_dph
17-09-2008, 06:42
Never new VM was using system x, always thought it was BT

Most ex-TW areas have the Nortel DMS switch, Midlands & North West have System X. The ex-Eurobell franchises that TW took over have something different, Nokia - if I remember correctly.

Visitor
17-09-2008, 12:46
These days with calls hopping on and of many systems, they sometimes get "lost in the translation" :) my BT line always said "The caller knows your are waiting"

dave_dph
17-09-2008, 18:10
These days with calls hopping on and of many systems, they sometimes get "lost in the translation" :) my BT line always said "The caller knows your are waiting"

The full message is "Please hold the line whilst we try to connect you, the person you are calling knows you are waiting." BT actually changed their announcement some years back so that the message alternates with the double ring tone; apparently people complained that they didn't understand what the message meant and alternating with a ring tone assured callers that they were actually connected.