PDA

View Full Version : 2Mb Upgrade

TheOne
11-09-2008, 15:02
Hi

Ive had a search and couldnt find anything.

Are V.M going to be upgrading the 2Mb BB service to 4Mb in the near future?

Thanks

Jonathan90
11-09-2008, 15:06
don't think so eventually they will its only a matter of time but i don't think in the near future. they got the 10mb roll out and 50mb roll out maybe next year or something they might up 2 to 5

TheOne
11-09-2008, 15:15
I've just gone from 20Mb to 2Mb (as part of the 3 for £30) after feeling the financial squeeze and finding the 2Mb like dial-up now.

I rang up customer services to see if they had any offers for existing customers and they said no. All the offers on the website are for NEW customers. Which i think is pathetic!!!

BenMcr
11-09-2008, 15:33
How is that related?

TheOne
11-09-2008, 15:36
How is that related?

lol, i seem to have gone abit off topic, but i was just making the point that there are a good few package offers for new customers but nothing for existing customers.

Back to the point topic though :D

chickendippers
11-09-2008, 16:39
Surely the 3 for £30 package you are now on is a deal?

whydoIneedatech
11-09-2008, 18:15
First Virgin have to finish the 4mb to 10mb upgrade, then they have to start the rollout of 50mb, then they will start sending modems to 20mb customers to get them onto the same platform as 50mb.

All the above will take time just look at the speed of the 4mb to 10mb upgrade.:erm:

Any upgrade of 2mb will be a long way off in the future if ever.

xspeedyx
11-09-2008, 18:19
Its only a extra £7 why not upgrade to 4Mb or 10Mb if your areas been upgraded

Foo Fighter
11-09-2008, 18:43
2mb aka 1mb should really go up to 5mb, im on it and its crap but it works. It doesnt really do virgin any favors when you tell people you have a 1mb virgin connection it sounds as bad as it is.

Still i get my moneys worth, just constantly kick the ass out of it :)

whydoIneedatech
11-09-2008, 18:44
2mb aka 1mb should really go up to 5mb, im on it and its crap but it works. It doesnt really do virgin any favors when you tell people you have a 1mb virgin connection it sounds as bad as it is.

Still i get my moneys worth, just constantly kick the ass out of it :)
Are you on a STB?

Ignitionnet
11-09-2008, 18:59
then they will start sending modems to 20mb customers to get them onto the same platform as 50mb.

Not required dude, the 50Mbit platform is backwards compatible. Only peeps needing new modems are those on the non-EuroDOCSIS modems. :)

whydoIneedatech
11-09-2008, 19:03
Not required dude, the 50Mbit platform is backwards compatible. Only peeps needing new modems are those on the non-EuroDOCSIS modems. :)
Might speed the wish for a 2mb upgrade then;)

Ignitionnet
11-09-2008, 19:03
Might speed the wish for a 2mb upgrade then;)

Can but hope! :)

Foo Fighter
11-09-2008, 22:35
Are you on a STB?

Nope but now its the new tv season i find myself on 1mb all the time and if i've got a few people over its not unusual to get a comment on how slow my internet is compared to their dsl which leaves them with a bad impression. 2/1Mb is awful by todays standards even for a entry level product.

But at the end of the day i watch whatever i download in the evening anyway so if its downloaded in 10minutes or 1hour it makes no difference

5/10/20/50mb is a good range of products, and makes sense its just a matter of time

BenMcr
11-09-2008, 22:48
I can never remember which one is which

STB BB areas are DOCSIS and pure cable modem areas are EuroDOCSIS,or is it the other way around?

Either way anyone on 20Mb shoul have a dual mode modem anyway

Ignitionnet
11-09-2008, 23:13
I can never remember which one is which

STB BB areas are DOCSIS and pure cable modem areas are EuroDOCSIS,or is it the other way around?

Either way anyone on 20Mb shoul have a dual mode modem anyway

The EuroDOCSIS areas are the pure ntl areas that were STB BB. The Bromley network that was Ex-Cable and Wireless Consumer Co.

Pure ntl Langley and Ex-TW Knowsley are both DOCSIS.

Every Ambit since the 120 has been Euro compatible.

Zhadnost
12-09-2008, 08:54
Weren't some STB-BB services DAVIC based?

Ignitionnet
12-09-2008, 08:59
No, the broadband was never DAVIC based. The interactive services were on ex-ntl Langley but have largely been migrated to DOCSIS. Not sure about ex-TW Knowsley but my STB on ex-TW has DOCSIS return.

Zhadnost
12-09-2008, 09:03
The reason I ask is that years ago when ntl started selling CM access in our area, the only way you could have it was through the STB, and the old pace STB that was used was only supposed to have a DAVIC modem in it.

Ignitionnet
12-09-2008, 09:05
The reason I ask is that years ago when ntl started selling CM access in our area, the only way you could have it was through the STB, and the old pace STB that was used was only supposed to have a DAVIC modem in it.

Nah those had DOCSIS modems, broadband was never delivered over DAVIC on either ntl or Telewest.

Zhadnost
12-09-2008, 09:24
Then why did they announce that (long after I had a cable STB service) they were developing a STB with a dual-standard modem since ntl wanted to migrate it's customers to DOCSIS.

Ignitionnet
12-09-2008, 09:34
Then why did they announce that (long after I had a cable STB service) they were developing a STB with a dual-standard modem since ntl wanted to migrate it's customers to DOCSIS.

That was for the ex-ntl Langley areas. The STBs were to migrate people off the DAVIC interactive platform and onto DOCSIS only. The project was called DOCSIS Over Langley.

Nothing to do with the Ex-CWC areas where STB broadband was offered, these were always purely DOCSIS since they had broadband, EuroDOCSIS to be exact.