PDA

View Full Version : Help with laptop please

thegirlfromwales
10-09-2008, 11:21
Hi please could somebody help me with my problem as I have no idea what to do?

At the moment, I have Virgin broadband connected to my Windows 98 PC. I want to replace this PC as it is well past it's sell by date with a laptop. I have been given an ACER TravelMate 2410 Series laptop and I would like to know where to start.

I have ordered a wireless router from Virgin buts thats as far as I have got so if somebody could tell me what I need to buy/do I would be so happy!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Jelly Bean
10-09-2008, 11:55
Hello girlfromwales.

I am from Wales to.

You say you are replacing the win 98 PC?

Ok setting up a network you need a main computer or laptop connected to modem.

Although wireless network?The win 98 would be the main computer.
You disconnect the modem cable that goes into the back of the computer,this cable then goes into the back of the wireless router.A cable from the router then goes into the back of the computer.

Use install disk to setup router.

You use wireless network setup wizard in windows also on computer and laptop.

As you have not told us the router model we cannot help you much.But once you recieve the router we can help you further.

The laptop I assume would be connected via wireless adaptor card inside laptop.

If the laptop is running XP the work group on both computers should be the same.XP the default is MSHOME.
If your new laptop is Vista OS,the default is workgroup.This then means all should be set to WORKGROUP.

zing_deleted
10-09-2008, 11:58
you will plug the modem into the router (I take it it has ethernet interface?) reboot the modem and turn router on. I take it your laptop has wireless? as long as it does I would connect the laptop to the router via the cable and run the setup to enable wireless encryption (wpa) The laptop wireless should come with an app that will automatically search for wireless and notify you in the taskbar. (running Vista on laptop)if you are running xp there will be notification in the taskbar (a little tv with a sat dish on it) you simply click this join the network assosciated with your router add encyption password and all being well that will be it

If the laptop does not have wireless as the specs say it was an option you will need to buy a usb wireless adapter,there are many of these to choose from and are easily available
http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/download/acer-travelmate-2410-series.php

:welcome: to the forum :)

thegirlfromwales
10-09-2008, 12:30
Hi thanks for replying so quick. I am still waiting for my wireless router to arrive from Virgin. It won't work from the Broadband I have now then?

Jelly Bean
10-09-2008, 12:31
Window 98 usaly USB connection for modem unless you install a eithernet PCI card.

:)

Yo David F.:)

thegirlfromwales
10-09-2008, 12:58
Is is easy to install a PCI Ethernet Card?

Jelly Bean
10-09-2008, 13:22
Hi again.

Ok it would work like this:

USB is slow.Well it slows your net down.

There is two ways to do this.

You change the USB cable you are using now from modem to the blue eithernet cable.This blue cable then goes from modem to router.

The USB cable would then go from router to the USB port on your computer.So realy do not need a eithernet PCI card.

But as I stated earlier USB slows you broadband speed down.

Ok now PCI card eithernet are pritty easy to fit.

I am a woman also and I am sure if I can do it so can you.

The cards are pritty cheap under £10 depends were you are buying them from.

You would power off your computer and umplug from wall.Remove side of case and you will see white slots.

You will see small metal plates situated on the back of the computer,remove one of these that coinsides with a compatable PCI card slot.Carefully insert the card into the slot and make sure it is fully pushed in.Use one screw to secure the card to back of pc.Once you look you should see it clearer on how to do this.

Some computers have clips not screws.

Close up computer attach eithernet cable.
Restart the computer logon and insert the floppy disk that came with the PCI card and run it.

If you cannot connect to internet after this restart the modem/router and computer this then refreshes the connection and the IP adress.

Any problems please feel free to ask.