PDA

View Full Version : Moving Home

ze0n
08-09-2008, 22:18
Hey,

Not quite sure if this is the correct section but;

I'm possibly moving soon and the house I'm looking at is non-cable. Now 3 houses on the street are non cable and the rest are cable. Why is this? I called VM and they said they don't know and cant do anything :(

chickendippers
08-09-2008, 23:05
Are the non-cable houses the same age as the cabled houses? If so, the only reason I can think for not cabling them would be that there was an obstruction of some kind on the day they laid the cable.

kingabs
09-09-2008, 02:34
or nynex being lazzy.

smeagoly1
09-09-2008, 09:00
I moved from cable to a non cable new build in feb. All the older hosue in teh area are cabled up, but as far as i am aware, there are no plans to cable up some new builds, especially the oen i am in, which is just over a year old. It's a shame as it would take very little to install for a new build area, especially since the cable boxes run straight down the otherside of the street.
If it's an older property, I can't realy say why it's not cabled up, maybe due to impracticalities at the time, i.e blocks of flats. It might also be not cost efective for a firm to install in certain locals, so they don't bother.

It might be worth calling VM again and sugesting they send a spotter out? if that is the right word. As if the cable boxes are in thestreet and on your side, it should just be a simple matter to install. It's all they done when i first had cable installed.

Gooch
09-09-2008, 11:30
Hey,

Not quite sure if this is the correct section but;

I'm possibly moving soon and the house I'm looking at is non-cable. Now 3 houses on the street are non cable and the rest are cable. Why is this? I called VM and they said they don't know and cant do anything :(

My neighbour has the same problem. He is sandwiched between me and another house. Both myself and 2 doors down can get cable but he can't. Weird!

xpod
09-09-2008, 12:07
We just moved house ourselves last weekend and while we can have all our cable services transferred ok we still have to wait till the 13th before they actually come and do it.

Still.....i dont actually miss the TV(still got the freeview everywhere) and i certainly dont miss the girls all squabbling for that landline:)

LaineY
09-09-2008, 12:55
Ze0n its probably one of them things that cant be explained.

i have heard of people getting their neighbours to sign a petiton or basically a letter to send to Virgin to try and make a point to VM that putting houses onto there services could be worth while as all the neighbours want it ETC..

I have never heard of anyone being successful with it.

But theres not really much you can do about it.. rather than phoning them and asking them for the relevant department you can speak to with regards to getting VM Services @ a new housing scheme or an area where you have a Virgin Media Box at the end of your street. Theres certain rules and regulations they need to follow for that like contractors / Council rules / Planning permission / Building planning permission (Landlords ETC)

whydoIneedatech
09-09-2008, 20:39
We just moved house ourselves last weekend and while we can have all our cable services transferred ok we still have to wait till the 13th before they actually come and do it.

Still.....i dont actually miss the TV(still got the freeview everywhere) and i certainly dont miss the girls all squabbling for that landline:)
Did you have email with Virgin at your old house? because if you did and you have not requested a Move and Transfer then it will not transfer to your new property.