PDA

View Full Version : Accidently severed internal phone line

WRF81
08-09-2008, 16:05
While doing some building work in our house we seem to have accidently severed the line that runs from our virgin box to our phone :blush:

Is it possible we can fix this ourselves by reconnecting the wires or will it require a visit from an engineer? If someone does have to come out to repair it will we be charged and if so how much? Thanks in advance :)

Jelly Bean
08-09-2008, 16:09
That is an OOOPS isnt it.

You could join the cables but you may still experience a fault.

You could have some one in to fit the complete cable.

Are you technicaly mineded to attempt this type of job?

As for a proce from Virgin you would have to wait for a forum staff member to post a reply for you on a price.

WRF81
08-09-2008, 16:12
That is an OOOPS isnt it.

You could join the cables but you may still experience a fault.

You could have some one in to fit the complete cable.

Are you technicaly mineded to attempt this type of job?

As for a proce from Virgin you would have to wait for a forum staff member to post a reply for you on a price.

The silly thing is we didn't even realise till today and we think it must have been cut almost a week ago! We are going to try and reconnect the wires as they appear to colour coded, it looks like a fiddly job, but worth a try even if it doesn't work. I was so busy shouting "Mind the internet cable!" all the time that I completely forgot about the phone cable!

Jelly Bean
08-09-2008, 16:19
If it was me I would try joining the wires and see what happens and hope for the best.The wires will have to be replaced at some point.Ask around some one may have a friend who can fix this issue.

BenMcr
08-09-2008, 16:31
A rewire after customer damage is £75 if it is needed. However a fault tech might be able to patch it to get it working again for free (and only if they can't do they book the rewire)

WRF81
09-09-2008, 00:46
A rewire after customer damage is £75 if it is needed. However a fault tech might be able to patch it to get it working again for free (and only if they can't do they book the rewire)

:shocked: £75 OMG! We have actually stripped back all the cables, reattached them and it's working again. Hopefully the repair will last!

Graham M
09-09-2008, 00:48
:shocked: £75 OMG! We have actually stripped back all the cables, reattached them and it's working again. Hopefully the repair will last!

No reason why it shouldn't normally only 2 of the wires are actually used anyway, what have you used to make the repair? Choc blocks?

WRF81
11-09-2008, 01:31
No reason why it shouldn't normally only 2 of the wires are actually used anyway, what have you used to make the repair? Choc blocks?

We just stripped back all the individual wires and since they were colour coded we just wound them back together and wrapped them in electricians tape. Not the greatest fix in the world, but it seems to be working so far.

Ken Underwood
11-09-2008, 03:42
If you solder them it might last for ever (nearly) but leaving them taped is just asking for trouble. Now you know it will work, clean up the wires, solder it properly and make sure it's waterproof.
If I was you.

Graham M
11-09-2008, 08:06
I believe the standard voltage is anything up to 90v when the phone is ringing and while that isn't massive it could cause problems if you got a short so as Ken says I would try and do a tidier job at some point

Kymmy
11-09-2008, 10:12
If the cut is inside the house then just move the main telephone socket to where the cut was, no need for joining just a simple IPC punch (£2.50 from maplins (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=929)) Result is a good/permanent repair.

If you've just twisted the wire together then in time the joints will corrode and seperate..

MovedGoalPosts
11-09-2008, 13:00
There are plenty of junction boxes available for telephone cables. Just visit your local DIY store.

Mace
16-09-2008, 17:31
I believe the standard voltage is anything up to 90v when the phone is ringing and while that isn't massive it could cause problems if you got a short so as Ken says I would try and do a tidier job at some point

50v DC - when ringing 80v AC :)

on in an hour!
16-09-2008, 17:51
if a fault tech does a perm repair there still the £30 call-out charge ben :(

WRF81
17-09-2008, 01:05
Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll see about getting a more premanant repair done. We do have the equipment needed to solder the wires, so I'll suggest this :)