PDA

View Full Version : Unresponsive connection

Cheekykid
08-09-2008, 15:51
I've been having a very irritating problem with my connection the last month or so. I get very high pings and time outs. I try to ping bbc.co.uk and it begins with 9-10ms and it goes up to 600-1000ms/time outs at times. I tried to change the router/modem with the guy next door and still the same issue therefore I doubt its my equipment. Any idea what this could be? It's very very irritating plus the lost packets seem to make browsing unresponsive at times. I have put opendns but without a positive result. Would appreciate any pointers.

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 1
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -5.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 29.7 dB
---
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 35.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

whydoIneedatech
08-09-2008, 16:14
Your Downstream power level should be higher it to low at present so a call to Tech Support is required, call them and explain your problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheekykid
08-09-2008, 17:45
Just gave virgin media a call and I got assisted by a very knowledgable and kind guy.

He said the Downstream power level is where it should and he could discern no problems with my connection. What I noticed is that when my router gets involved the problem begins. I changed the router with another one ( both netgear ) and I still have the same problem. When I connect the modem directly to the pc it works fine. Anyone else here with a netgear?

LaineY
09-09-2008, 12:58
make sure ur rebooting ur modem and routers when plugging them into the modem. and pc's

always turn the motorolla on first. then the router bout 8 secs later... leave it for a min and try ur con..

Try pinging your router ..

192.168.1.1 and see if you get decent replys and what MS the replies are at..
to do this go to Start > Run > CMD and in the Black box type Ping 192.168.1.1 and press enter..

let us know how u get on...

Im guessing by the look of things hes on an EX NTL platform.
if thats the case i was always told the power levels can be around -12 to +12
on the downstream .. on Telewest..

is it different for NTL Area customers?

whydoIneedatech
09-09-2008, 19:36
Im guessing by the look of things hes on an EX NTL platform.
if thats the case i was always told the power levels can be around -12 to +12
on the downstream .. on Telewest..

is it different for NTL Area customers?
Definitely the frequency gives it away and their Downstream power levels are different, his are to low, but not according to the Tech he spoke to!!;)

Cheekykid
09-09-2008, 19:59
Definitely the frequency gives it away and their Downstream power levels are different, his are to low, but not according to the Tech he spoke to!!;)

The tech said for my area anything between 2.5 and 6 is normal. Am in ex Cw platform

whydoIneedatech
09-09-2008, 22:14
The tech said for my area anything between 2.5 and 6 is normal. Am in ex Cw platform
Yes thats normal if plus but yours is minus though.

Cheekykid
20-09-2008, 00:40
Also I should mention that whenever I download a torrent file my modem begins to slow down a lot even if my downlod speed is far less my limit. Does this shed any light at all to my problems? Is it normal to slow down when using torrents even if bandwitch ain't all used up? Anyone experiencing similar issues? Why the modem appears to be so weak when it has to handle many requests? Am using the ambit 256

homealone
20-09-2008, 01:12
Also I should mention that whenever I download a torrent file my modem begins to slow down a lot even if my downlod speed is far less my limit. Does this shed any light at all to my problems? Is it normal to slow down when using torrents even if bandwitch ain't all used up? Anyone experiencing similar issues? Why the modem appears to be so weak when it has to handle many requests? Am using the ambit 256

throttle the upload - or use newsgroups rather than torrents ;)