PDA

View Full Version : Problem with speeds - please help

manchestermedic
07-09-2008, 23:47
Hello everyone,

Guess this is my last attempt at trying to sort out this problem so I hope that someone can help :-)

We signed up to Virgin XL broadband about 2 months ago and ever since then have been registering speeds of about 0.7mb between the hours of 4pm and 11pm. The only time when we get speeds anywhere near 20mb is in the very early hours of the morning.

Virgin just seem convinced that it is a problem with my modem, however, I just don't see how it can be as it does achieve good speeds when everyone is asleep. There just seems to be no solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions that could solve this problem? It would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

whydoIneedatech
07-09-2008, 23:51
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

Open a browser and in the address bar put> 192.168.100.1 password and username are both root if required.

What I want you to post is the Downstream and the Upstream plus what model the modem is for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

manchestermedic
07-09-2008, 23:59
Hey,

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!

The modem model number is: E08C013.00 256

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 7
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.4 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 46200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

whydoIneedatech
08-09-2008, 00:10
Hey,

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!

The modem model number is: E08C013.00 256

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 7
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.4 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 46200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2
Your power levels seem to be normal for your connection, are you being Traffic Managed between 4pm and midnight? check the links below.

How are they blaming your modem for this issue.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

-------------------------------------------------

manchestermedic
08-09-2008, 00:14
Nope - we're not! No traffic management is in place!!!!! What else could be the problem?

73arm3
08-09-2008, 15:43
Im having the same problem with my connection, and have posted in the support newsgroup, being told that I have noise on my line in the evening, Im from Manchester...which assuming your name, you could be to. Im in the M43 area and my connection is unuseable in the evenings.

I would try posting in the newsgroup, customer support are there up to 10pm and will look at your query for you.

virginmedia.support.broadband.cable
http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/

whydoIneedatech
08-09-2008, 17:18
Nope - we're not! No traffic management is in place!!!!! What else could be the problem?
You said they blamed your modem, please clarify and what model is it? check the label on the bottom.

Ignitionnet
08-09-2008, 17:29
The modem model number is: E08C013.00 256 <<<< Ambit 256

---------- Post added at 16:29 ---------- Previous post was at 16:27 ----------

Hello everyone,
We signed up to Virgin XL broadband about 2 months ago and ever since then have been registering speeds of about 0.7mb between the hours of 4pm and 11pm. The only time when we get speeds anywhere near 20mb is in the very early hours of the morning.

That sounds like congestion.

Virgin just seem convinced that it is a problem with my modem, however, I just don't see how it can be as it does achieve good speeds when everyone is asleep. There just seems to be no solution.

Have Virgin made any attempt to replace the modem? You'd hope so if that's the fault...

Does anyone have any suggestions that could solve this problem? It would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Post on the Virgin Media newsgroups and see if the tech support on there can assist.

manchestermedic
09-09-2008, 13:35
They said that they had run some tests on the modem and that it was only recieving 80% of the signals. I find this hard to believe though as it works fine at 2am ...........!

They are sending us a new modem - however I think they are just stalling! Another 3 days until I'll find out.

LaineY
09-09-2008, 14:12
lol..

with all due respect..
if its getting 80% of the signals... then thats dire pants..
you want 99 if not 100% of the signals...
they probably mean your modem is responding 80% of the times...
sounds to me like Signal to Noise Issue or its Congestion...

if its at 0.7mb/s thats say for EG 700KBPS
when im capped on 20mb thats what my speed goes to..

are you certain that you are not using a wireless router.. (if so is it protected) or anything like that in between your con.. and you dont have any spyware etc..

(it could still be the modem..)

Dozy
13-04-2009, 15:56
You may want to try this,but don't expect it to work all of a sudden,I found it was a couple of months before it did.
By the way,I am with Virgin & I'm officially on just 2mbsec option,I used to have a router, but that was too quick for my unstable line & resulted in high 'Ping'when playing online games,I now use the ST330 MODEM.

The result was a jump from 1.mbs/sec - 6.8mbs, after buying & installing the I-PLATE,which takes 2 minutes.

Go to BT site,look under their Broadband section,or products & search for, "I-PLATE", you need to make absolutely sure that the socket on your wall where the phone line enters your property is exactly the same as that which BT says will work with the I-Plate,that info should be shown on there site,if searched for.
This I-PLATE filters out unwanted noise, both indoors & externally,that affects the 'Bell Wire' to the phone.
These pick up any electrical noise from traffic, or appliances indoors & filter out the interference,making for a much more stable connection.
You may be disappointed to find that it seems to make no difference,but just forget it as one day you might just check your speed & may be,like me, surprised that it has worked.

You can buy the I-PLATE on ebay,it should be quicker than waiting for a BT delivery,good luck.

Ignitionnet
13-04-2009, 16:25
I don't think that will help with cable broadband it's for the ADSL option only, cable doesn't use the phone line. Also this thread had been dormant for 7 months so you'd hope a solution one way or the other had been found :)

Just a quick note also, the iPlate is not a solution to external noise, it acts as a microfilter on the master socket of the home preventing noise getting into the DSL portion of the spectrum from other extensions in the home but can do nothing for noise external to the home.

jameses
26-04-2009, 02:12
Isn't it as simple to remove the bell wire rather than fit the I-Plate, I got the impression from this site http://broadband-speedup.blogspot.com/ that it was legal to do (it is I assume). In anycase that gave me a 1.6Mbs speed jump!!!

Ignitionnet
26-04-2009, 12:49
You can still get ingress into the DSL circuit from any extensions you might have with or without the bell wire dissed although it does help by removing an unbalanced wire. A face plate isolates the DSL totally from all extensions.