PDA

View Full Version : Is my Virgin home phone line digital or analogue

Mullet
07-09-2008, 21:18
Hi,

I signed up with one of Virgins offers for phone, broadband and TV
How do I know whether my phone is digital or analogue - This may sound like a silly question to most but I have to ask
I read that most home phones are analogue but I thought that with the DSL broadband and digital TV the phone must also be digital
Please can some one advise
Thanks

jcw00
07-09-2008, 21:23
Still Analogue

Stuart
07-09-2008, 22:31
Hi,

I signed up with one of Virgins offers for phone, broadband and TV
How do I know whether my phone is digital or analogue - This may sound like a silly question to most but I have to ask
I read that most home phones are analogue but I thought that with the DSL broadband and digital TV the phone must also be digital
Please can some one advise
Thanks

:welcome: to the forum.

If you have a virgin phone and Cable TV, you do not have a DSL phone line (the broadband is carried along the same cable as DTV).

Your phone is analogue, although the exchange it connects to is digital.

Graham M
07-09-2008, 23:31
You get digital DECT phones but that doesn't limit you to using them on Digital lines, an example of a digital line would be ISDN which isn't frequently used anymore, since you have a normal home telephone line, you can consider it to be Analogue.

Mullet
08-09-2008, 22:01
Thanks for the response and input chaps

BexTech
10-09-2008, 02:30
Yeah it will be analogue.

As for DSL that's the system used over the likes of BT lines, such as ADSL or SDSL.

Maybe some people get confused when they see routers listed as DSL/Cable routers as against ADSL routers.

ADSL Routers really should be listed as ADSL Modem/Router combined as that is what they are.

Cable/DSL routers mean they can be used on both Cable broadband and DSL broadband (ADSL for example) however these don't come with a modem so you need a separate one - VM supply their cable modem, for DSL there are a great many available in the UK and the cost is more than a cost of a Modem/Router combined.