PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Help

Addstar
07-09-2008, 17:38
Hi,

Basically i have a modem connected to a wireless router and on friday i had to disconnect the modem from the wall. On friday afternoon i connected it all back up correctly and since then my internet has gone slow. For example before i disconnected the modem it was downloading files at a minimum of 30kbs now the maximum its downloading at is about 8kbs and times out after a while. My ps3 will no longer connect through wireless also because its so slow and times out after a while.

Could anyone tell me whats possibly wrong with my connection, before people ask it has all been connected properley.

Thanks in advance

sstainer
07-09-2008, 19:22
does the modem config pages show any problems
http://192.168.100.1/CmDnstream.asp root root as needed
also look at upstream namely

Downstream Receive Power Level :
Downstream SNR:

Upstream transmit Power Level :

also check the connections see if any are loose?

Addstar
07-09-2008, 19:39
These are what has come up on this page, however this is not the modem connected to the wireless router

Downstream Value
Frequency 331000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Power Level -5 dB

Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 25800000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 44 dBmV

chickendippers
07-09-2008, 20:22
How many modems do you have?

Addstar
07-09-2008, 20:27
each pc has one built in them do they not? The modem which connects to the router is a samsung one that was put in by someone and connects to the wall with a f type cable (i think there called that anyway)

whydoIneedatech
07-09-2008, 22:19
Each PC has what is called a Network Interface Card or NIC inbuilt and these connect your PC to the Modem via an Ethernet lead.

Your Modem is either going to be a Surfboard, a Webstar or a Virgin branded Ambit 256 as you are obviously an EX-Telewest customer.

The above power levels are within normal operational parameters for a modem on the Knowsley platform.

What make is your Wireless router.

Have you rang Tech Support at all so they can check your connection, because it sounds as if the may be an SNR problem on the UBR which would in all likelihood cause this problem you are having.

Addstar
07-09-2008, 23:14
The wireless router is a linksys wireles g 2.4ghz broadband router, im going to have to ring tech support again tomorrow. Rang earlier and they said there was maintenance in birmingham which could of caused it but dont think the woman really understood as it was fine until i disconnected it on friday.

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

My modem is a motorola surfboard SB5100 if that makes any difference

LaineY
08-09-2008, 12:36
unplug the modem.. from the power..

plug the ethernet cable from the modem right into ur pc...
restart ur pc.. and whilst its rebooting
turn ur modem on...
leave it for a min and check if you can get websites..
if it works fine and everything is fine and dandy..
do the same thing again but plug it back into ur router (remember to reboot your router)
always turn ur router on first with a motorolla modem as sometimes connectivity is not successfull.

are you using wireless? or are u wired from the router to the PC?

Ensure the Coaxial (FTYPE) cable is plugged in correctly and is hand tight
make sure uv not broke or stood on it.. and make sure theres no nails or staples through it.. the white cable (thick one)

Addstar
08-09-2008, 14:08
Im wireless at the moment, the router and modem are in my living room and the nearest pc to that is in my study. But i will try that later on even if i have to move the pc into the living room for 5 mins.

Would me unplugging the modem on friday to move it and then plugging it back in caused the internet to go slow though?

LaineY
08-09-2008, 16:59
if ur going through a different wall point yes...did u plug ur modem back into a different socket....as in CABLE WALL socket?

Addstar
09-09-2008, 00:31
No i plugged it into the same place it was plugged into before, plugged my modem directly into one of the pcs earlier and the connection was still slow and wouldnt download anything. Rang virgin up again, they recon theres some maintainance still going on in the area which is causing it but im not sure its that, will have to wait until the maintainance has finished and see if it is that.

LaineY
09-09-2008, 11:15
when u plugged the modem directly into the pc did u turn the mains off to it and back on?

and have u tried a different PC plugged directly in (following the reboot procedure above?)

Addstar
09-09-2008, 15:23
yea, the virgin guy recons theres something there end beig fixed and wont be fixed till the 15th