PDA

View Full Version : Service Down

CIS
06-09-2008, 14:32
XL service went off today, called up and everything seems okay, so they are sending someone out on Monday.

Is there anything I can do from this end? The only lights on the modem are the PC and Power, and in the control panel the modem upload power level is going up and down (from 12 to 50) and most numbers in between (when it refreshes)

I have checked the cable around the room, right up to where it goes out of the wall. It’s not stabled, so there are no holes. I have done all the usual with the modem, kept it off for a time; back on (you know the drill)

So apart from all this, is there anything else I can do?

eth01
06-09-2008, 14:36
have you checked that the coxial is screwed in properly?

what modem is this?

CIS
06-09-2008, 14:50
Thanks for taking an interest.

The modem is the Scientific-Atlanta and yea, the cable is in correct.

WebSTAR EPC2100R2
Hardware Version 2.1
Software Version v2.0.2r1256-060303
Receive Power Level 7.7 dBmV
Transmit Power Level 49.0 dBmV
Cable Modem Status Upstream Parameters Acquired

Upstream Status Not Ready
Channel ID 2
Upstream Frequency 29200000 Hz
Modulation 16QAM
Bit Rate 10240000 bits/sec
Power Level 58.0 dBmV (but jumps up and down)

eth01
06-09-2008, 14:51
where do you live? pm me if you want.

whydoIneedatech
06-09-2008, 15:00

WebSTAR EPC2100R2
Hardware Version 2.1

Channel ID 2
Modulation 16QAM

Sounds like an issue on your upstream return path and the best thing you could do is call Tech Support and speak to one of my colleagues who will diagnose the problem for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

CIS
06-09-2008, 15:10
Sounds like an issue on your upstream return path and the best thing you could do is call Tech Support and speak to one of my colleagues who will diagnose the problem for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have called, they told me they would send someone round on Monday, but I thought I would get pro-active and try something, anything, I mean its down anyway, so why not try.

Then again, the guy on the phone did just seem like he wanted to go home and have a beer. Was more of a "what the problem" ok someone will be round on monday, kind of call.

eth01
06-09-2008, 15:12
did you not see my last posting?

whydoIneedatech
06-09-2008, 15:15
I have called, they told me they would send someone round on Monday, but I thought I would get pro-active and try something, anything, I mean its down anyway, so why not try.

Then again, the guy on the phone did just seem like he wanted to go home and have a beer. Was more of a "what the problem" ok someone will be round on monday, kind of call.
If I answered the call I probably would have booked a Tech if the were no issues on our faults page and everything else checked out.

The is an obvious issue with your upstream that needs checking out.

CIS
06-09-2008, 15:16
did you not see my last posting?

Sorry yes I did, and I pm'ed you.

whydoIneedatech
06-09-2008, 15:19
Let us know if the Tech visit resolves the issue.;)

CIS
06-09-2008, 18:35
Let us know if the Tech visit resolves the issue.;)

ok, I don't know what you did, or if indeed you did anything, but if you did, then I thank you.

Just after you posted this, my service was fine. :handshake

SteevieNiteHeat
06-09-2008, 20:03

WebSTAR EPC2100R2
Hardware Version 2.1

Channel ID 2
Modulation 16QAM

Has nobody noticed the bolded above?

CIS: by that bloded part, it shows that you are not on the XL (20Mb) package, but the L (10Mb) package, I would call up to query this, as if you are paying for XL then you are being ripped off!

CIS
06-09-2008, 22:08
That's Upload, so that would be above the 20mb LX (would it not?) (well, above what you would get on upload anyway)

With the service back its showing this.

Downstream Status Operational
Channel ID 5
Downstream Frequency 331000000 Hz
Modulation 256QAM
Bit Rate 20480000 bits/sec
Power Level 7.9 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio 43.7 dB

Upstream Status Operational
Channel ID 3
Upstream Frequency 34000000 Hz
Modulation 16QAM
Bit Rate 768000 bits/sec
Power Level 43.0 dBmV

Axegrinder
06-09-2008, 22:54
Upload on 20mb is 768k
Upload on 10mb is 512k
Upload on 2mb is 200 or 256k

Hope that clears it up abit ;)

Ignitionnet
06-09-2008, 23:44
Has nobody noticed the bolded above?

CIS: by that bloded part, it shows that you are not on the XL (20Mb) package, but the L (10Mb) package, I would call up to query this, as if you are paying for XL then you are being ripped off!

That's the upstream bit rate and is the bit rate of the entire upstream channel. Note that while the upstream MAP has been acquired which shows the modem how much bandwidth and what modulations, etc, the upstream is using the modem has not completed registration so would not have downloaded its' config file which supplies the bandwidth upstream and downstream to that particular modem, note no downstream bandwidth limit as well:

CIS
17-09-2008, 21:51
Ever from my internet was connected again, my speed have been really bad. Now they said there was nothing wrong with the line and they said they were sending a man around on that Monday. I never phoned to cancel the man, as the line was up, but speed tests were bad and if they say there was nothing wrong on their end, then I wanted to see if there was a problem with the cabling or modem. The man never turned up.

And speed from the day I went back up have been really bad. Sometimes the speed testers don’t even register any scale.

Should I get them to come out and have a look?

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

Great, I'm on the phone to Jalalabad and they love my Irish accent so much; they get me to repeat everything 4 times.

whydoIneedatech
17-09-2008, 21:52
Ever from my internet was connected again, my speed have been really bad. Now they said there was nothing wrong with the line and they said they were sending a man around on that Monday. I never phoned to cancel the man, as the line was up, but speed tests were bad and if they say there was nothing wrong on their end, then I wanted to see if there was a problem with the cabling or modem. The man never turned up.

And speed from the day I went back up have been really bad. Sometimes the speed testers don’t even register any scale.

Should I get them to come out and have a look?

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

Great, I'm on the phone to Jalalabad and they love my Irish accent so much; they get me to repeat everything 4 times.
You would have better luck after midnight or after 0800 tomorrow morning.