PDA

View Full Version : Natural Selection At Its Best?

Graham M
04-09-2008, 21:12
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7598674.stm

The idiot was lucky to survive that.

Losttheplot
04-09-2008, 21:22
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7598674.stm

The idiot was lucky to survive that.

Sorry, but....
How well do you know him?
He stupidly jumped over a barrier, but I doubt he will rush to do it again. Idiot if he had form for it, but is there evidence of this? I feel sorry for him.

Sirius
04-09-2008, 21:27
Sorry, but....
He stupidly jumped over a barrier, but I doubt he will rush to do it again. Idiot if he had form for it, but is there evidence of this? I feel sorry for him.

I feel sorry for the driver of the bus who very nearly had to deal with a persons death for the rest of his life.

frogstamper
04-09-2008, 21:27
That footage should be shown in all schools, this young lad must have been a millisecond from death...or even worse, a life in a persistent vegetative state.
When your young this sort of thing only happens to other people, so maybe seeing how easily a life can be snuffed out hopefully may deter a few young boys of showing off in front of their friends.

Losttheplot
04-09-2008, 21:56
I feel sorry for the driver of the bus who very nearly had to deal with a persons death for the rest of his life.

There are no winners from accidents!
Over 25 years ago my mum was a school crossing lady for an A road crossing, where a 6 year old ran across the road when the pedestrian light went green despite her shouting at him from the opposite side of the road, he was hit by a speeding car. He lived. My mum never worked the crossing again. She loved that job. Fortunately the driver admitted responsibility, and my mum never went to court.
The lad hit by the car never meant to affect anyone. I'm sure he's very aware of crossing any roads. Is he an idiot?

Sirius
04-09-2008, 21:59
Is he an idiot?

No and that was not my point, My point was exactly what you just pointed out :tu:

That in accidents all parties have to be considered.

Halcyon
04-09-2008, 22:00
Let's hope that a lesson is learnt and that other kid's will take notice that stunts they try to do and not paying attention can lead to very serious incidents.

Graham M
04-09-2008, 22:11

That's my stance, the kid jumped in front of a bus, what does he expect?

Losttheplot
04-09-2008, 22:15
No and that was not my point, My point was exactly what you just pointed out :tu:

That in accidents all parties have to be considered.
Sorry, although I quoted you, I was annoyed by the original post calling the victim an idiot.

Graham M
04-09-2008, 22:16
Sorry, although I quoted you, I was annoyed by the original post calling the victim an idiot.

I'm sorry I offended you, but what would you call him then? If you're ignorant around a road, what can you expect?

Losttheplot
04-09-2008, 22:22
That's my stance, the kid jumped in front of a bus, what does he expect?

No, the kid jumped over a barrier. Did he wait for a bus, and thought 'I'll teach this a lesson'? It wasn't deliberate, it was a mistake.
Idiot? Not in my opinion, no more than someone treating the victim of a mistake as someone to mock.

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

I'm sorry I offended you, but what would you call him then? If you're ignorant around a road, what can you expect?

I'm not qualified to judge him. How well do know him? How long have you known him?

Are all road accident victims idiots? Do accidents exist?

Graham M
04-09-2008, 22:24
What would you have said if he'd had just walked in front of the bus without looking?

Losttheplot
04-09-2008, 22:26
What would you have said if he'd had just walked in front of the bus without looking?

Oh my god, what a terrible accident.:rolleyes:

Graham M
04-09-2008, 22:30
Oh well I'm not going to argue about it, that is my opinion, I'm sorry you don't like it, but I'm entitled to it.

frogstamper
04-09-2008, 22:34
The lad comes running out of the school and tries to hurdle a fence by a zebra crossing on an obviously busy road, in my book that is idiotic behaviour. I'm not trying to ridicule the boy, he is only 14 and after this incident I'm sure his learnt his lesson..don't show off in front of your mates.

dilli-theclaw
04-09-2008, 22:44
Back on topic now please - use the report post function if you have a problem with a poster, please don't discuss it.

Cheers,

Jefferson T

zing_deleted
04-09-2008, 22:45
Definition of an accident

an unfortunate mishap; especially one causing damage or injury
anything that happens suddenly or by chance without an apparent cause; "winning the lottery was a happy accident"; "the pregnancy was a stroke of bad luck"; "it was due to an accident or fortuity"
This was not a mishap or something that happened by chance without a cause. The lad willingly and with malace of forethought hurdled the barrier ( do I need to define barrier also as its obvious why it was there) The result of this was an injury. It was a road traffic accident but it happened because of a deliberate error in judgement which was stupid at the very least

I hope the video shows just how stupid this was. I am imagining if you search the database it happens outside that school a lot (jumping the barrier that is)

idi banashapan
04-09-2008, 23:00
(un)fortunately, natural selection appears only to have knocked at his door, then run away.

What an idiot...

Evidently, his exams results will be top of the school. His parents must be proud...

sollp
04-09-2008, 23:06
Sorry, but....

Yes the evidence is in the vid, as its probably something he's done before in stupidity.

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

I would hardly call him a victim, it was a stupid idiotic thing to do bought upon himself so he can hardly be a "Victim" of his own act.

A definition of victim:

A:an unfortunate person who suffers from some adverse circumstance

Hardly an adverse circumstance.He decided to jump the barrier.

B:a person who is tricked or swindled.

Wasn't tricked or swindled.

C:a person who is injured or killed by another or as a result of an event or circumstance".

Wasn't injured by another person but was nearly killed by his own stupidity, no one else to blame unfortunately but i suppose somehow the Bus driver or the highways agency council whatever would have been blamed for some reason if he had died as a result of his stupid actions therefore negating him from any blame, as usually happens in these and other circumstances.

Definition of Accident:

An unexpected and undesirable event, especially one resulting in damage or harm: Wasn't unexpected.
An unforeseen incident: Definitely wasn't unforseen.

Certainly have,"Losttheplot".

Chris
04-09-2008, 23:31
Sorry, but....

I don't think you have to jump in front of a bus twice to prove you're an idiot. He's 14; he is old enough to know the dangers involved in vaulting over a steel barrier into the middle of a busy road.

Your subsequent example of a six-year-old doesn't logically follow; nobody would expect a six-year-old to have the same level of road sense that this teenager should have had.

If you're wanting to get indignant about something, then it should be for what *could have* happened to any one or more of the people on board that bus, had the driver lost control of the vehicle during this incident.

The boy should have the book thrown at him. Named and shamed along with the video, at the very least.

peanut
04-09-2008, 23:49
What a stupid stunt. :erm:

I can't believe you're all discussing the ins and outs of what is and what isn't an idiot.

I for one was a bit shocked of his stupidity, and also amazed by his luck. Typical reaction though of the public* stunned and just standing there gawping whilst one did just walk off, but saying that no one really knows what they'd do in that kind of situation till it happens I suppose.

The poor bus driver is who I feel for.

*Admittedly they were mostly kids.

TheDaddy
05-09-2008, 01:25
The lad comes running out of the school and tries to hurdle a fence by a zebra crossing on an obviously busy road, in my book that is idiotic behaviour. I'm not trying to ridicule the boy, he is only 14 and after this incident I'm sure his learnt his lesson..don't show off in front of your mates.

Quite right, he made a very silly mistake, if he doesn't learn from it he'll be lucky to survive the next one.

Not quite sure what purpose it serves to call him names and post dictionary deffinitions though, lifes to short imo

Maggy
05-09-2008, 08:58
I can attest after 34 years experience as a teacher that some 14 year old CHILDREN are thoughtless,careless and do some really stupid things.To blame them for it is a waste of time as they ARE still children and still have a lot of learning to do if they are to survive until adulthood.

Of course some never do learn and regretfully we have to hope that they never have any children in that case...:(

Of course the majority of children of that school now do have a rather more advanced idea of what is a dangerous and avoidable action..I suspect it's something that WON'T be repeated anytime soon...;)

Sometimes a member of the herd has to take one for the herd to advance as a brighter leaner SMARTER herd together.:erm:

LondonRoad
05-09-2008, 09:22
It looks to me like the lad misjudged and caught his trailing leg on the barrier. Although it may be idiotic to do that, he wasn't launching himself face first into the side of a bus deliberately. It's clearly not the first time he's done it.

What suprises me is the lack of school crossing supervision. Kids are meandering down the wrong side of the barrier even before the the accident.

v0id
05-09-2008, 15:04
Why wasn't the bus slowing down for the red light, and why did they drive into the cycle lane?

It also looks like the road is near a school, so there must've been signs for drivers to slow down.
Situatuions like this are why there's a hazard perception portion of the driving test. More so when you go for a PCV licence.

Chris
05-09-2008, 16:59
Sometimes a member of the herd has to take one for the herd to advance as a brighter leaner SMARTER herd together.:erm:

You're not thinking of nominating him for a Darwin, are you? He's not eligible, as he didn't actually remove himself from the gene pool. :disturbd:

Graham M
05-09-2008, 17:23
Why wasn't the bus slowing down for the red light, and why did they drive into the cycle lane?

The light was green as the bus approached, it started to change as the bus went through, sometimes the road is just to narrow and you have to enter the cycle lane, as long as there are no cyclists as far as I know it's fine :)

Maggy
05-09-2008, 17:35
You're not thinking of nominating him for a Darwin, are you? He's not eligible, as he didn't actually remove himself from the gene pool. :disturbd:

As a teaching aid he's worth a mint...;)

Hom3r
05-09-2008, 18:40
The kid / parents should be billed for any damage dome to the bus plus the driver should be awarded a large some of cash (5-6 figure) for the terror he must have faced thinking he had just killed a child.

WHISTLED
05-09-2008, 18:47
Did he hit the side or go under it?

Graham M
05-09-2008, 19:01
It looks as though he was knocked to the side, I think it would've done much more damage than it did had it gone over him

Hom3r
05-09-2008, 19:02
he hit the front bottom and the bus looked like it ran over him

Chris
05-09-2008, 19:42
he hit the front bottom and the bus looked like it ran over him

Whose front bottom did he hit? :angel:

sollp
06-09-2008, 09:46
Quite right, he made a very silly mistake, if he doesn't learn from it he'll be lucky to survive the next one.

Not quite sure what purpose it serves to call him names and post dictionary deffinitions though, lifes to short imo

The dictionary definitions where used because i wanted to:shocked:

idi banashapan
07-09-2008, 17:35
The dictionary definitions where used because i wanted to:shocked:

and because the lad in question probably wouldn't understand the big words either....

Stephen
08-09-2008, 16:33
Did he hit the side or go under it?
He appeared to be hit by the side of the bus but it did look like it went over his shoulder.

He is lucky that he tripped on the barrier and only got caught by the corner or tyhe bus, had he actually managed to leap over he would surely have met the bus head on and probably not survived.

It really was a stupid thing to do. There was a barrier there for a reason and clearly a busy road.

I do feel for the driver of the bus though it must have been horrible for him.

budwieser
08-09-2008, 22:12
The boy was being a stupid show off ****, lets be honest on this. He came unstuck and won`t do it again, hey, thats how we learn.
Did you ever cycle down a hill and then discover that your brakes are **** in the rain? I did.:D He was lucky this time, he survived,.:dunce:

WHISTLED
08-09-2008, 22:49
I like the way his mates didnt bother running to see if he was ok, just a casual jog

Maggy
08-09-2008, 23:03
I like the way his mates didnt bother running to see if he was ok, just a casual jog

To be fair most of them didn't see it from the same angle we do..or had their backs to the incident. :erm:

dragon
08-09-2008, 23:32
Yes he's an idiot, if natural Selection had been doing it's best he wouldn't survive.
Anyone who runs at a barrier on a busy road and trys to jump it is an idiot period.

Hugh
09-09-2008, 16:52
Or a teenager, who tend to think they are immortal and nothing bad can happen to them (just like we probably did at their age).

frogstamper
10-09-2008, 02:32
Or a teenager, who tend to think they are immortal and nothing bad can happen to them (just like we probably did at their age).

Good point foreverwar...who here can say that on looking back to their teenage years they didn't do something that now makes them cringe with fright and/or embarrassment at their behaviour?
As I said earlier, the lad was stupid to do such a thing, but risk-taking does seem to be inherent in teenage boys coupled with a sense of invisibility.

brundles
18-09-2008, 18:35
Perhaps another nomination for the Darwin awards?

Linky (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1057760/Thief-electrocuted-trying-steal-copper-cable-carrying-11-000-volts.html)

sollp
18-09-2008, 20:15
Perhaps another nomination for the Darwin awards?

Linky (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1057760/Thief-electrocuted-trying-steal-copper-cable-carrying-11-000-volts.html)

Again this will be the fault of someone else and not the person trying to steal. Also makes you laugh when the sister said,"He had been totally clean for the last 8 mths", obviously not.

This is one of the problems when the persons involved somehow are exonerated of blame, everyone is blameless.

Hom3r
31-05-2011, 21:03
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7598674.stm

He lived

Phil-ntl
31-05-2011, 21:10
Ouch. That had to hurt!!

Phil

martyh
31-05-2011, 21:19
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7598674.stm

He lived

How ?!!!! :shocked::shocked:

Octal
31-05-2011, 21:24
I feel sorry for the bus driver, what a shock for him.

LondonRoad
31-05-2011, 21:26
That happened quite a while ago. Check the date;)

Hom3r
31-05-2011, 22:16
Well it was in Scotland and it's only just reached us :D

TBH it was in the currnet most viewed video and I didn't check the date :(

carlwaring
31-05-2011, 23:05
That's gonna leave a mark :eek:

craigj2k12
31-05-2011, 23:27
bloody bus drivers taking up the bike lane.... :D

Jimmy-J
01-06-2011, 00:36
I knew I'd seen this story somewhere before.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/33638238-natural-selection-at-its-best.html

soup dragon
01-06-2011, 08:07
that is from 2008!

Pauls9
01-06-2011, 09:12
You've got something against catch-up video on demand?

Guess you're with the wrong TV provider.

;)