PDA

View Full Version : "up to 10mb" no...up to 4mb

arch101
04-09-2008, 17:23
i mentioned this in my other thread/topic but figured id make a new topic for it

why are virgin advertising their L cable broadband package as "up to 10 mb"

im well aware of the upgrades happening for 4 mb to 10 mb, however not everywhere has been updated yet including where i live....yet when i ordered my internet package about 2 - 3 weeks back, it was advertised as "up to 10 mb"

now some might assume this covers the fact that they are still only supplying 4 mb to some people...however i don't feel it covers it at all

usually the "up to" phrase with regards to internet means that your connection will atleast be capable of reaching the max speed but at times it may be a bit lower, it does not mean you have no chance what so ever of reaching the max speed because you are capped at 4mb

when the virgin media L broadband package was 4 mb the package deal read "up to 4mb"

false advertising? or smart play on words

if smart play on words then surely it should of been consistent with its previous 'meaning' with regards to the old 4mb L cable broadband deal

Kymmy
04-09-2008, 17:29
Perhaps the following quote on thier size L broadband page covers them??

Speed of internet connection assumes components working at optimum speed and capacity. Up to 10Mb rollout due to complete September 2008. Up to 10Mb rollout due to complete September 2008. Both cable and ADSL broadband are affected by user volume

In fact they're that keen to point out that the 10Mb rollout isn;t yet completed that they say it twice!!

;)

arch101
04-09-2008, 17:42
fair point, if thats on the actual deal page for the L cable broadband then i probably overlooked it i guess

though ill also mention i had an engineer round today to fix my power levels and he said some parts weren't even due to be upgraded untill january 09....thats coming from a VM engineer

plus the main segment of the deal (well as in the bold saying the speed) is still "up to 10mb" its like going to a car sales room with a set amount of money and the sales guy going "this is the best car you could afford for that price...but this cheaper not quite as good car is the one you'll be buying, we'll send you the better car sometime within the next 6 months"

out of curiosity is there a section on the VM official website that specifys which areas havent been upgraded yet and can be viewed by people who aren't yet customers?

Kymmy
04-09-2008, 17:46
"50Mb will be released early in 2008"
that also has been heard uttered from VM's lips ;)

Just because something is DUE to be completed it doesn't mean to say it will be, I'm sure that VM will update the statement accordingly...

arch101
04-09-2008, 17:48
"50Mb will be released early in 2008"
that also has been heard uttered from VM's lips ;)

Just because something is DUE to be completed it doesn't mean to say it will be, I'm sure that VM will update the statement accordingly...

when it gets to october at a guess

Kymmy
04-09-2008, 17:57
Probably :D:D

After the advertising fiasco I think that VM ar ebeing more careful about what the offer...