PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem - requires virgin info?

nafe12
04-09-2008, 15:46
Hi there,

had an accident on the weekend, spilt drinks all over the netgear cable router. it's dead. about to buy another off ebay;

Just wondering, can I plug a new netgear cable router and will it work? Do I need to enter my virgin username/pwd?

The prob is I can't for the life of me remember my virgin.net email address (i think i remember the password). I rang up and they said they can't give this info over the phone, and to go to an outlet with ID.
Tee outlets are far away - won't be able to make it out there for a while. But I need internet NOW! :)

So do I need my account information to log on to my already active connection?

cheers

nafe

Zhadnost
04-09-2008, 15:47
If before connecting the router to the cablemodem, you go into it's management and get it to clone the MAC address of the old router, then you should be okay.

nafe12
04-09-2008, 15:55
you know what - i just checked
the modem doesn't light up either - i think that's dead.

damnit - am i completely screwed?

Jelly
04-09-2008, 15:58
Just reset both the modem and the router and they'll work with each other.

nafe12
04-09-2008, 16:06
can i buy any cable modem?
or do i have to get a virgin one?
(they both are dead :()

I vaguely remember something about the network being locked to the particular MAC address

Chris
04-09-2008, 16:12
Hi there,

had an accident on the weekend, spilt drinks all over the netgear cable router. it's dead. about to buy another off ebay;

Just wondering, can I plug a new netgear cable router and will it work? Do I need to enter my virgin username/pwd?

The prob is I can't for the life of me remember my virgin.net email address (i think i remember the password). I rang up and they said they can't give this info over the phone, and to go to an outlet with ID.
Tee outlets are far away - won't be able to make it out there for a while. But I need internet NOW! :)

So do I need my account information to log on to my already active connection?

cheers

nafe

Hi nafe and :welcome: to Cable Forum.

The only time I ever forgot my master password, they re-sent it to me by post. There should be no need to visit any Virgin shop. To be honest that just sounds like a pile of BS to get you off the phone quick.

I wouldn't bother buying a replacement router off eBay, they are cheap as chips to buy new these days, so you might as well do so. You can be sure of the quality of the goods that way.

JackSon
04-09-2008, 16:12
You will have to get a new modem from Virgin by calling 151if you original is truly bust - whether they will replace it for free or not I am uncertain, if you tell them you broke then you are more likely to get charged so may be worth a little white lie and claim no knowledge when complaining your brodaband isn't working. I'll leave that decision up to you and your own conscience ;) Come to think of it though, I have no idea what the charge would be if Vm deemed the destruction of their previous modem to be your own fault. Need a VM employee to see this one I think.

Chris
04-09-2008, 16:13
can i buy any cable modem?
or do i have to get a virgin one?
(they both are dead :()

I vaguely remember something about the network being locked to the particular MAC address

You cannot replace the modem yourself. Virgin have to do that for you. DO NOT try to buy one off eBay - it won't work.

You will have to phone them and tell them your modem is dead. They may send a tech out, or they may just send you a replacement by post.

nafe12
04-09-2008, 16:13
id rather be honest...
replacement fee is OK if reasonable

do Vm employees read here?

JackSon
04-09-2008, 16:14
They certianly do - mostly the good ones as well.

Kymmy
It's against VM's T&C's to plug anything into the cable network apart from equipment supplied by themselves. If your cable modem is dead then you have to ring up virgin and ask them for a new cable modem which should be free and will be registered to your account. If you broke the modem then I don't know what the charges will be.

Chris
id rather be honest...
replacement fee is OK if reasonable

do Vm employees read here?

They do, but they can't send you a new modem based on your posts on here. Your best, quickest solution will be to phone Faults again and report the dead modem.

BenMcr
04-09-2008, 16:30
In advance I apologise for being bounced between Technical Support and Customer Care if you do report a damaged modem :(

Stephen
04-09-2008, 16:41
Call faults and report the modem. They will either send a tech out with one or just send a new one in the mail as they sometimes do these days.

nafe12
04-09-2008, 17:01
I'm a little scared to ring in case they say

you owe us $$$$$$$$$$ - ihave no idea how much they'll say

i'd rather keep quiet and maybe get a replacement or someting?

Kymmy
04-09-2008, 17:04
OK, don;t ring but pay for an internet connection you can;t use until the end of your contract....

or

Ring, tell them that the modems faulty, they'll do the tests and probably send you a new one.

We can't advise you what to tell them as to the fault...that is upto you.....

nafe12
04-09-2008, 17:13
or just buy a modem from ebay?

Stephen
04-09-2008, 17:15
or just buy a modem from ebay?

No cause it would be a waste of money and wouldn't work!!

Kymmy
04-09-2008, 17:17
It's illegal to sell VM modems as they always belong to VM and never to the subscriber, as well as being against thier own T&C's you're also wasting your money as VM registers the MAC address of the modem on your account so unless the modem comes directly to you from VM it will NOT work.

JediMaster
04-09-2008, 17:41

Just reading the First Post.... Are you ADSL or Cable with Virgin??? ie Does your Modem connect to a BT line or a White CoAxel Cable?

I thought virgin.net was ADSL? If so cant the original poster just buy a Modem/Router (ADSL one) in PC World? But he will have to re-enter the Login.

If its a DSL one then VM will need to resend you a Modem.

JackSon
04-09-2008, 17:53
You could just ring faults and say broadband is not working (which is true) they will take you through the procedure and eventually say your Modem is faulty (which is true) and arrange to either; send out a technician with a new modem (I think this has a fee up to £20? my memory lets me down here am afraid), or will send you a new modem in the post for free for you to install yourself. In either case, the cause of the breakage of the momdem is unlikely to be investigated and will just be replaced.

It is almost certain that the old modem will not be collected anyway upon replacement (especially if you do a self install) so the old modem will just be considered a brick and left at that.

utt
04-09-2008, 19:16
If you do have a virgin.netemail address your connection will be ADSL. If this is the case you can use any DSL router but you will need your username and password to connect via the router. If your username is joe.blogs@virgin.net, you need to put the username of joe.blogs@adsl.virgin.net in the router and add your password.

If you cannot remember either of these call tech support on 0845 454 2222 and select option 3 and then option 1. Providing you can pass DPA checks they will be able to supply your username. They cannot see your password but will be able to reset it for you.

JediMaster
05-09-2008, 10:33
If you do have a virgin.netemail address your connection will be ADSL. If this is the case you can use any DSL router but you will need your username and password to connect via the router. If your username is joe.blogs@virgin.net, you need to put the username of joe.blogs@adsl.virgin.net in the router and add your password.

If you cannot remember either of these call tech support on 0845 454 2222 and select option 3 and then option 1. Providing you can pass DPA checks they will be able to supply your username. They cannot see your password but will be able to reset it for you.

If he is ADSL (.net address) as I already stated, how can he use a DSL Router??? He needs a ADSL Modem/Router NOT DSL like I use with VM Cable B/Band;)

utt
05-09-2008, 15:36
The netgear router we supplyw has the modem built in if you want to be exact. He still needs the information to connect