PDA

View Full Version : Post code check - Analogue only?

robjw
02-09-2008, 17:58
HX1 1DJ

I'm looking at a property at the above postcode. The checker insists that this is an analogue area. I'm pretty sure though that there are no analogue only regions in Yorkshire but perhaps someone can tell me different?

The property is bang in the middle of Halifax and has the triangular 'T' outside (or at least very close). There are modern green street cabs nearby and I just can't believe that it's analogue only in that area. Can anyone shed any light?

Also, it's a second floor flat. Would virgin be prepared to install 40-50 feet (complete guess!) up in the air?

Cheers!

m419
02-09-2008, 19:15
Some streets or some parts of streets have not been upgraded as they have been deemed as non-profitable,also new buildings on cabled streets may also say that because the cable probably needs extending to new properties.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Also BT uses green cabinets too and furthermore the T logo is BT's old logo which was used in the 1980's.

I would suggest you call 0500-500-500 and speak to sales rep.

robjw
02-09-2008, 19:56
Sorry by 'T' I meant the Tee junction outside the property to pull the cable from. It's labelled CATV like all the others round here. The green cabs are definitely ex Telewest too.

m419
02-09-2008, 20:17
Yeah Telewest leaves some properties out if they have not had cable for a number of years, so best thing to do is give them a call, it might just be a mistake with their directory.

spiderplant
02-09-2008, 21:43
HX1 1DJ has the full set of services, apart from numbers 26A and 26B which have none. I suggest you ask for a site survey, both to check the availability and any height problem.

robjw
02-09-2008, 21:56
Ahh, interesting! I'm currently trying to decide whether to take VM with me (if I can!) or bite the bullet and get Sky HD..

jungleguy
02-09-2008, 22:37
Some streets or some parts of streets have not been upgraded as they have been deemed as non-profitable,also new buildings on cabled streets may also say that because the cable probably needs extending to new properties.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Also BT uses green cabinets too and furthermore the T logo is BT's old logo which was used in the 1980's.

I would suggest you call 0500-500-500 and speak to sales rep.

This is not very accurate information or any help to you, telesales will definitely not be of any help, they'll probably tell you to get a BT phone line and ring them back to get an off net package. You need a spotter

robjw
02-09-2008, 22:54
Thanks for the help. To be honest I know I could physically get cable. As people are suggesting it'll be making Virgin understand this that's the problem!

To be honest though, I'll need to have a think. Cable would need to come in to the front of the building and straight in to the the living room, but on the opposite side to the TV.. I can't see how we can get the cable across the room without making a mess of the landlord's rather swanky apartment!

jungleguy
03-09-2008, 08:28
Sounds like you've got no chance. Technically installs should not do second floor installs. Some areas have a long ladder team (a bit of a mythically rumor created by someone I reckon).

First thing would be to ask the landlord.