PDA

View Full Version : Postcode Check Please

philce
30-08-2008, 16:56
Can someone with contacts please check my postcode?

LE3 6DP

We are in a cabled area but the VM site says that we can only get analogue and BB, but calling sales they say we cant get anything!

We want BB, BT here is very slow and intermittant.

Cheers

spiderplant
30-08-2008, 20:46
No broadband there, I'm afraid. Just analogue TV and telephone.

The website seems to be just plain wrong. It assumes if you can get analogue TV, you can get broadband, but that isn't true in LE3 and a few other areas.

Ignitionnet
30-08-2008, 20:56

The website seems to be just plain wrong. It assumes if you can get analogue TV, you can get broadband, but that isn't true in LE3 and a few other areas.

Can you tell us if LE3 is planned for an overbuild to 2-way / digital plant?

spiderplant
30-08-2008, 21:49
No, I don't have access to that info.

philce
30-08-2008, 22:13

Well thats better than the sales bods tell me, according to them I can't get anything!

They should upgrade here cos the BT network is awful. I have a 2.4 Km long line that thinks its actually nearly 6 Km long! They'd make a killing getting us all signed up!

Is there any way to find out if we are going to be upgraded?

Cheers

spiderplant
30-08-2008, 23:21
They should upgrade here cos the BT network is awful. I have a 2.4 Km long line that thinks its actually nearly 6 Km long!
Have you tried disconnecting the ring wire to improve your ADSL speed? See here http://www.beforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8152. Worked wonders for me. 50% faster for 10 minutes work.

philce
31-08-2008, 00:25
Have you tried disconnecting the ring wire to improve your ADSL speed? See here http://www.beforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8152. Worked wonders for me. 50% faster for 10 minutes work.

Yep been there done that. Filtered faceplates, RFI filters etc etc!!

Even had about 5 Bt visits to try to sort it out, swapped pairs etc etc. The last engineer told me that its the main cable back to the exchange that is the problem. As more people get ADSL its getting worse due to the crosstalk. BT just say that they have to provide a "working" ADSL service. So no chance of anything being done to remedy. I know of someone who has had his service stopped by BT because his line wont support ADSL at all! 2 years previously it had a perfect 2Mb service!

This is why we want Virgin to upgrade the network here!

m419
02-09-2008, 20:35
Well alls I can suggest is writing to them and with that letter, include a petition with the people that are interested in signing up.

That gives Virgin Media an idea if an upgrade would commerically viable.

Also, if you do go go around with a petition make sure that you mention the services which people can get if Virgin Media upgrades the area:

Digital TV:

Free catch up tv on demand:

7 days of recordings of TV from the last week from BBC1,2,3 and 4,Living1 and 2,Virgin1,Challenge TV,Trouble,Bravo,Bravo2,Channel 4,More 4,E4. All programmes can be fast forward and rewinded and paused even with Standard set top box.

4OD: Channel 4 on demand

TV choice on demand:

A very large library which contains lots and lots of programmes from all the digital tv channels, as well as HBO,Warner TV National Geographic. Programmes can be fast forwarded,rewinded and paused too

Music on demand:

All popular songs for free on XL, a very large library of music videos available to view at anytime.

Free sentant,Arsenal TV and few more sport services. including cheaper sky sports than it is on sky.

All of the above are free on XL TV

20MB Broadband and Pc Guard included which is free anti-virus,anti-spyware and parental control facility.

And mention that you can pay in a number of ways even by cash at a paypoint! You cant do that on Sky!

The address which you need to write to is:

Virgin Media Limited
160 Great Portland Street,
London,
W1W 5QA

But a petition will help upgrade areas which have been deemed as uncommercially viable.

Hope that helps!