PDA

View Full Version : Help with speed test connection

DC_FC79
29-08-2008, 20:04
anyone able to help me with a speed test ive done on my pc and laptop, im on the virgins 4 mb cable connection, the pc is hard wired to the modem and the laptop is wireless,

the download speed i get from my pc is 1279 kb/s and upload is 165 kb/s and the ping is 224 ms

the download on my laptop is 2209 kb/s and upload is 390 kb/s, the ping is 17ms

i thought the lower the ping was the better but maybe im wrong,

Jonathan90
29-08-2008, 20:08
somehow i think its to do with your settings as oversubscription may higher your ping etc but a ping of 17ms is fine not sure about the first one thoe. hmm maybe some tech people can help u out i'm sure they will be here soon lol

NCS
01-09-2008, 10:05
The speed test it all bit confusing. I get speed of from 456kbps to 2024kbps and ping of 24ms to 383.
I am supposed to have 2Mb BB. I have been tesing ton www.speedtest.net and getting various results.
I am ranked poorest speed on the regional tally.

Ignitionnet
01-09-2008, 11:38
anyone able to help me with a speed test ive done on my pc and laptop, im on the virgins 4 mb cable connection, the pc is hard wired to the modem and the laptop is wireless,

the download speed i get from my pc is 1279 kb/s and upload is 165 kb/s and the ping is 224 ms

Hi,

Do you mean that the PC is hard wired to the router, or direct to the modem itself?

whydoIneedatech
01-09-2008, 13:09

If you are a Virgin Media customer then the best speedtest is from the link below which is from a dedicated server from Virgin Media.
Have you tried going to this link to check your speeds http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/
click on blueyondergames>demos>then click on at least 2 large files and save them to your desktop, and then wait a couple of minutes then write down the transfer rates on the files that are running> times them by 8 and you will get a truer download speed.

Jelly
01-09-2008, 17:39
Also, stop using the Maindenhead server on speedtest.net; it seems to be giving inaccurate results. Try the London one instead.

whydoIneedatech
01-09-2008, 18:41
Also, stop using the Maindenhead server on speedtest.net; it seems to be giving inaccurate results. Try the London one instead.
If you want to use the London server then go direct to www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk (http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk)

Jelly
02-09-2008, 18:03
They're both the same server, so what's the point of typing a longer url?

whydoIneedatech
02-09-2008, 23:25
Why type when you can click my link and save it in your favourites;)

confucious
07-09-2008, 21:58
Just tried your link and get 6.8Mb - using http://www.speedtest.net and the london server I very rarely get less than 10Mb...

Stuart
07-09-2008, 22:04

OK... Using the London server, I got a download speed of around 8 meg.

Using Maidenhead, I got about 12 meg. Upload for both was around meg.

Now, I have a 24 meg ADSL connection and in real world use (downloading from newsgroups) I average around 18 meg, so both are inaccurate, and they definately are not on the same server.

whydoIneedatech
07-09-2008, 22:25
Just tried your link and get 6.8Mb - using http://www.speedtest.net and the london server I very rarely get less than 10Mb...
Different speeds from the same server, one a direct link and the other a provided link, a bit odd don't you think.:)