PDA

View Full Version : Recieved new modem, Require Coaxial cable please help!

krato871
27-08-2008, 18:43
I've just recently called VM and asked for a replacement STB because the internet speed has now upgraded and the internet goes through our STB which doesn't support the new speed, so they said they would send us a modem. It came without a Coaxial cable, VM said they don't supply them and I need to buy one myself.

If I bought one and connect it to the modem, and the other end to the splitter (where the STB is currently connected) and call VM to register the mac address should everything work fine? I didn't understand a word of what they said as Virgin Media's "Broadband Support" is as incompetent as they come, they thought I was talking about the ethernet cable >.< :mad:

Also would this 1.5 meter Coaxial cable do the job:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9376&criteria=BM89W&doy=27m8

thankies!

SteevieNiteHeat
27-08-2008, 18:53
I've just recently called VM and asked for a replacement STB because the internet speed has now upgraded and the internet goes through our STB which doesn't support the new speed, so they said they would send us a modem. It came without a Coaxial cable, VM said they don't supply them and I need to buy one myself.

If I bought one and connect it to the modem, and the other end to the splitter (where the STB is currently connected) and call VM to register the mac address should everything work fine? I didn't understand a word of what they said as Virgin Media's "Broadband Support" is as incompetent as they come, they thought I was talking about the ethernet cable >.< :mad:

Also would this 1.5 meter Coaxial cable do the job:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9376&criteria=BM89W&doy=27m8

thankies!

Hi and welcome!

I am affraid that you have been lied to!

vm should have known (common sence should have prevailed) that you would need a length of coax actually shouldn't they have sent out a quickstart pack for you with all bits included?

If I was you I would call up virgin media and explain your predicament and suggest that they get a length of coax and a splitter box out to you asap!

It would also help if you could roughtly estimate how long you need this lead to be as then they could even put the plug ends on for you!

I'm sure there will be more people come along soon to offer more help than me, but I think it would be best to call them up again to state your case!

krato871
27-08-2008, 18:56
Oh god, I don't fancy calling them again! They forwarded me onto about 5 people because they didn't know what a Coaxial cable was!!! and they started getting angry with me because I said I already had an Ethernet... it was awful, if it works I would rather just buy my own cable than talk to them again! I think I already have a splitter it looks similar to this one:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altisuk/fm/isolator.jpg

But only has one Coaxial connecting the STB!

Help!!!
27-08-2008, 19:01
Try wilkos mate, its 25p a metre, much better value for money then maplins, all you need then is a few connectors, then can be found at maplins,

SteevieNiteHeat
27-08-2008, 19:02
Oh god, I don't fancy calling them again! They forwarded me onto about 5 people because they didn't know what a Coaxial cable was!!! and they started getting angry with me because I said I already had an Ethernet... it was awful, if it works I would rather just buy my own cable than talk to them again! I think I already have a splitter it looks similar to this one:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altisuk/fm/isolator.jpg

But only has one Coaxial connecting the STB!

you will also need a splitter box, 1 that connects to the main feed lead (the lead that is plugged into the TV part in your latest pic) and then this would have normally 3 outputs, so 1 lead will connect to your STB, and the other to your new modem!

It is always a bit risky to add cabling yourself, as it could throw the signal levels, which could not only cause problems for your services, but your neighbours' services too!

I really wish I was more knowledgable on these matters so I could help you more, but the only thing I could suggest is as I said before, call up bm again (dunno if there is a number for quickstart?) or call 151 as there IS a problem (vm related would you believe it!) and explain that when your modem was sent it didnt include a lenght of coax or a splitter box so you cannot use your new modem!

Sorry once again, I really wish I had the right answers :(

krato871
27-08-2008, 19:05
Is there anyway to get through to english support? I would rather do that as I find it so difficult to talk due to the language barriers they're always telling me the wrong things =[

BenMcr
27-08-2008, 19:06
They've sent a fault/speed issue modem (which assumes all cables are in place) rather than following the STB to Modem swap process (which sents a full install pack with cables, spanner, splitter etc)

Phone customer services on 150 option 4 and get them to re-do the order

SteevieNiteHeat
27-08-2008, 19:10
^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, what he said! :)

krato871
27-08-2008, 19:13
thanks! option 4 was dialup, 3 is broadband should I choose 3? ^_^ I'm just on hold now...

BenMcr
27-08-2008, 19:21
Nooo 150 (Customer Services), not 151 (Technical Support/Faults)

Zhadnost
27-08-2008, 19:44
Err, if he buys his own cable (or makes one up), and his own splitter, wouldn't he be contravening the terms of his contract?

Joxer
27-08-2008, 20:14
Is there anyway to get through to english support?

And what is wrong with the Scottish support? ;)

You could also call tech support and have a tech sent out, you actually need 1 splitter, 2 cables and 4 connectors. Apparently you can get it in B&Q but I would suggest getting VM to sort it.

krato871
27-08-2008, 20:22
Wow, just got off the phone, (no offence to scottish support or anything, i should say british =P my bad) I was put through to about 15 people! transferred to so many departments, and put on hold about 30 times! Finally got hold of a supervisor who's sending a technician out for me tomorrow free of charge and there crediting my account with £10... le sigh! I only wanted a starter pack!!!! thanks so much for all your help ^_^ I'll probably be back tomorrow when the bleeding thing won't connect to the internet lol

whydoIneedatech
27-08-2008, 20:23
And what is wrong with the Scottish support? ;)

You could also call tech support and have a tech sent out, you actually need 1 splitter, 2 cables and 4 connectors. Apparently you can get it in B&Q but I would suggest getting VM to sort it.

Its £30 for a Tech Install better to get the correct kit sent out.

Raistlin
27-08-2008, 20:23
More likely that you'll be back tomorrow when the engineer doesn't turn up ;)

whydoIneedatech
27-08-2008, 20:26
More likely that you'll be back tomorrow when the engineer doesn't turn up ;)
He would get another £10 if that happened;)

krato871
27-08-2008, 20:35
yey for £10's haha, I asked the supervisor if it would be free, and he made sure it would be! So if they charge me I'm going to leave them because I am sooo fed up with their support!!!

whydoIneedatech
27-08-2008, 20:44
yey for £10's haha, I asked the supervisor if it would be free, and he made sure it would be! So if they charge me I'm going to leave them because I am sooo fed up with their support!!!
It just depends who answers the phone, the luck of the draw.:)

krato871
27-08-2008, 20:49
Yeah I guess, I did get through to an english woman!! And she seemed to understand the problem that they sent the wrong pack out (I mean come on how difficult can it be to know that) anyway she put me on hold as she was sorting it out and it cut me off =[ thats when I ended up going through about 20odd people.. I'm fed up of the word "modem" now =[ will the technician register the modem mac address whilst he's here because I don't fancy calling to register it tomorrow LOL

piggy
27-08-2008, 20:52
Err, if he buys his own cable (or makes one up), and his own splitter, wouldn't he be contravening the terms of his contract?

no

Jonathan90
27-08-2008, 21:27
in theory yes he would according to some people if he moves his modem (which he has got to do to arange the cable etc) thats classed as breaking the contract.

correct me if i'm wrong

whydoIneedatech
27-08-2008, 21:30
in theory yes he would according to some people if he moves his modem (which he has got to do to arange the cable etc) thats classed as breaking the contract.

correct me if i'm wrong
That is correct.

But as he is now getting a Tech visit that does not actually matter now.

doug
28-08-2008, 10:43
I have had the exactly the same experience: requested a cable model upgrade and let them know that I currently had a Samsung integrated set-top box/modem (why did I need to supply that information - isn't it on file, or can't they interrogate it remotely?). Anyway, I got sent a separate cable modem, but no splitter or extra cables. Now, I don't actually need my set-top box, since I have given up subsidising Mr Murdoch and have a cheap freeview decoder with twin-channel hard disk recording, so I decided to go ahead with the installation. The saga starts here.

I followed the instructions that came with the modem. Unscrew the cable(s) from the old modem and connect the new modem and "simply" dial 151 and choose option 3 fault, option 2 help and option 1 broadband. Of course these options aren't actually the ones that are offered, but eventually - after about 3 transfers - I got through to somebody in Wales who brought up my details and eventually decided that he couldn't deal with it because I was a Virgin .net (I think that is what he said) customer (no idea what that is or whether I am or not: I have migrated from Cable and Wireless to Ntl to Virgin). He told me to phone 0845 454 2222. I did ask him about the absence of a splitter and whether or not I needed to inlcude the 10db attenuator that is currently between the cable feed and the previous set-top box. He said there was no problem but didn't understand! I dialled the 0845 number and spent 15 expensive minutes talking to somebody (India?) who seemed helpful, asked for the MAC address of the modem - but who queried whether I had said F0 or S0 in the address!!! Eventually he said he could not get the MAC address into the system because "the server was too busy" and told me to phone 0845 454 1111 in an hour if the modem had not been authenticated. BTW, the help screen you get on the web interface that tells you that the modem has not been authenticated tells you to dial 151, but gives a different set of options to select.
Anway, after an hour I declined to use the expensive 0845 number but dialled 151 and using eventually (why do I have to enter my telephone number - don't they know it?) got through to somebody who told me that the modem was authenticated and that it should be working. After various attempts, reboots etc, he confessed to being puzzled and said it would be referred to the IT department and they would get in touch within 48 hours!. Unfortunately, I forgot to mention that there was no splitter - I had been on the phone for 2 hours and the battery was getting low, so at this point I insisted that my old set-top box be re-authenticated and this appeared to work;. He did promise to phone back to check that old box was online, but didn't and of course I have not yet heard anything from anybody at "the IT department".

Anyway enough of this rant - I thought the one thing that Virgin promised over NTL was an improved customer service. Do I actually need a splitter if I don't care about the cable TV or is this the absence of the splitter the reason that the modem is not recognised? How do I proceed from here?

krato871
28-08-2008, 14:31
Well I got back from shopping at 12:30 seeing as the guy on the phone said the tech will be here past 1pm, and wow to my belief there was a note from the engineer saying he called at 12pm >.< not only that but they didn't text or call me to let me know like the guy on the phone said they would! GRRR, so now I'm going to have to call back :erm:

I'm sorry to hear the problems you've had doug, I know exactly what it's like it's so painfully difficult to get through to these people half of them don't understand the problem!!

-----------------

Trying to get him to come out again, and just being transferred all over the place... If I can't get through to someone withing 10minutes I'mgoing to leave VM and go with sky. The worst support I've EVER experienced, absolutely appalling.

whydoIneedatech
28-08-2008, 18:34
Well I got back from shopping at 12:30 seeing as the guy on the phone said the tech will be here past 1pm, and wow to my belief there was a note from the engineer saying he called at 12pm >.< not only that but they didn't text or call me to let me know like the guy on the phone said they would! GRRR, so now I'm going to have to call back :erm:

I'm sorry to hear the problems you've had doug, I know exactly what it's like it's so painfully difficult to get through to these people half of them don't understand the problem!!

-----------------

Trying to get him to come out again, and just being transferred all over the place... If I can't get through to someone withing 10minutes I'mgoing to leave VM and go with sky. The worst support I've EVER experienced, absolutely appalling.

We cannot guarantee that a Tech will arrive after a certain time, that is why you are given a 4 hour window, I would never promise a set time to anyone waiting for a Tech regardless of the issue.

krato871
28-08-2008, 19:38
ok well I called today and they said he was down on the computer to come 4-7 which is WAY off the time he arrived, I can't reschedule my whole day around it I work and have things to look after! It isn't that which is the issue its the support on the phone. I couldn't get through I've just emailed support now and if they won't reschedule or send me a starter pack (i dont see how that can be so difficult) then I'm cancelling ASAP its disgusting.

whydoIneedatech
28-08-2008, 19:40
ok well I called today and they said he was down on the computer to come 4-7 which is WAY off the time he arrived, I can't reschedule my whole day around it I work and have things to look after! It isn't that which is the issue its the support on the phone. I couldn't get through I've just emailed support now and if they won't reschedule or send me a starter pack (i dont see how that can be so difficult) then I'm cancelling ASAP its disgusting.
Call 150 and wait for the wanting to disconnect option and speak to them about your problems.

krato871
28-08-2008, 19:46
I've done that... many times at least 10 times now they all seem stupid, they ask for account number then the problem.. then they transfer me to another department.. and thats all that happens not one person is taking responsibility for the call.. I've spoke to about 40+ people by now, I don't understand what the hell the problem is with them?!

Ah sorry I didn't quite get the "wanting to disconnect" part, I understand what you mean now, don't worry I will though for tonight I've had enough. I'll call them tomorrow and tell them why I want to leave! Might move something along, though I doubt it will be much use ¬¬

Just found this on the Virgin Media website:

Upgrading your set top box

It looks like we'll need to swap out your set top box, replacing it with a new cable modem.

Give us a call on 0906 212 1111 (or on 150 if you have a Virgin Media phone) and we'll book a time for an engineer to come round and install this for you - free of charge of course.

Once your new kit is installed you'll be ready for a faster, more reliable broadband service.

So hmm.. why were they going to charge me £30 to get a technician to come out and install it for me?!

whydoIneedatech
28-08-2008, 20:19
I've done that... many times at least 10 times now they all seem stupid, they ask for account number then the problem.. then they transfer me to another department.. and thats all that happens not one person is taking responsibility for the call.. I've spoke to about 40+ people by now, I don't understand what the hell the problem is with them?!

Ah sorry I didn't quite get the "wanting to disconnect" part, I understand what you mean now, don't worry I will though for tonight I've had enough. I'll call them tomorrow and tell them why I want to leave! Might move something along, though I doubt it will be much use ¬¬

Just found this on the Virgin Media website:

So hmm.. why were they going to charge me £30 to get a technician to come out and install it for me?!
That 0906 number has not been a valid option since the 1st of June 2008.

krato871
28-08-2008, 20:21
But it also says 'or 150' and its still up on their website so how can they have the cheek to charge you for a tech when it blatantly says its free?!

doug
28-08-2008, 21:17
An update to my previous post. As expected, I failed to receive a call from "IT Support" within 48 hours so I tried starting afresh. This time I rang 150, options xyz ... I was then to ring 151 option 3 and after repeating all the information again I was transferred again. This time I ended up talking to somebody called Sadie on 150. She was very helpful, understood the problem, gave me a choice of a mail out of a new modem + cables + splitter or a (free) engineer's visit. Since there seems to be a delay of 8 days on this, I have opted for the mail delivery of the required parts. We shall see what actually arrives, but Sadie was apologetic about having to ask for all the information again, was very helpful and seemed to appreciated the problem. If anybody from VM is listening, give her a raise: she has done something to redeem the dismal and confused service offered by VM.

krato871
28-08-2008, 22:16
lucky you! wish I could get as far as that =[
I really honestly don't see what is so difficult in them just sending me another Modem... I know if I was able to get through to someone who can understand english I would probably be OK... but I can't!!!!!

chickendippers
28-08-2008, 23:07
Post on the virginmedia.support.broadband newsgroup, you'll have your problem sorted in no time: http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/

Whenever I've rung from my VM landline I've never had to enter my phone number.

krato871
29-08-2008, 07:42
Is the newsgroup support official? Or is it similar to this forum? thanks for the link =]

Just posted thanks for your advise! Hopefully they'll sort it out ^_^

johnhee
12-09-2008, 23:30
same here with STB to modem switch

1st modem ony, no splitter; That resulted in (free) engineer visit to install splitter/modem; MAC adress advised to VM and then .......error code "escalated and wait 72 hours" before recontacting VM

Super. Not

Plugged back into my STB to keep a b/b connect for the present.

Rebooted the modem etc after 24 hrs; The browser activation page comes up but seems a bit confused which service I'm using and then finishes.

Back to STB for the moment

Any quick tips/hints I can check for myself

Plug n Play - oh yeh
;-)