PDA

View Full Version : registration page?

revolt1
22-08-2008, 14:11
Good Afternoon to the experts.

Im wondering if anyone can help me please.
Recently my internet has been playing up,everytime i boot my pc i need to go threw the registration page,with my PID and add my computer.
I spoke with a engineer and he says" set top box not recognizing the server" The enginner said "I need a Cable Modem"

It will work and I can get online until I reboot my pc again.Then i have to put in my pid and password again and add my computer again.

If i leave my pc running 24-7 will this effect my computer and hard drive? Is leaving the pc on very expensive?

Should I Hibernate the pc before bed?

thanks to everyone and I hope people can understand my typing

Thank you very much

cimt
22-08-2008, 14:21
What package are you on? It will be a lot cheaper and easier if you switch to a cable modem. If you're currently on 4Mb, you need to switch to a cable modem for when your area is upgraded to 10Mb.

revolt1
22-08-2008, 14:23
Hi cimt, Im on a 2meg internet and pay £24.99 a month Virgin media.Has alot of people had these problems with the registration Ntl page coming up alot?..

Thanks man

chickendippers
22-08-2008, 14:37
Internet through set top box is being phased out; if you ring up and ask for a stand alone modem they should post one out free of charge.

BenMcr
22-08-2008, 14:46
and also correct the charge. 2Mb through a modem is £18 before discounts, not £24.99

revolt1
22-08-2008, 14:59
Thanks to everyone who replied.I will phone up and ask for a cable modem.

BenMcr
22-08-2008, 15:05
Only thing I would say is make sure you speak to the UK. The process to book it on the system is a bit complicated, and the outsourced centres do it even less than the UK centres do (the training between the two for it is about the same before anyone says anything ;) )

Wisnaeme
22-08-2008, 15:38
"Is leaving the pc on very expensive?"
My PC and LCD takes 120W sitting doing nothing. That's 3KW a day, what's that nowadays, 30-40p a day to run. My main day-to-day machine is a laptop which I do leave on 24hrs a day, it and the external USB drive total 35W which is much better for me. I'm not particularly green, just skint!

A desktop running for a year costs (estimate) a minimum of £100 a year. Add in all your routers, USB drives and "stuff" you could easily be at £300 for it to just sit there doing nothing.