PDA

View Full Version : Weird connection/speed issues.

lmc87
20-08-2008, 19:51
Over the last week or so i have been getting some very weird issues with my internet connection that i am at wits end with.

Last week my download speeds were pitiful, i was getting 100kbp/s which always dropped down to 33kbp/s. I thought that some work was being done and just left it as my connection has been fine for months. Well that wasn't the case and yesterday my internet failed completley. Swapped routers around with a spare and nothing, plugged modem directly in, nothing.

This was when i phoned up virgin and got through to india, went through the usual plug in this take out that and was told there was nothing wrong with the line.

Fast forward 2 hours later and after rebooting the modem again the power,send and recieve lights worked, but the online light kept flashing. Phoned up, got to india, was told there was no problem. Phone up 20 minutes later, got to the uk and a chap told me there was a crack in the line and could take up to the 26th to rectify.

Woke up this morning and the modem seemed to work, all the lights were on etc but my router couldnt get DHCP settings for the life of it, tried it with another router and still no DHCP. now the weird thing happens. my internet comes back on out of no where, do a speed test and get 9.5mb/s down 450k up, which is normal. an hour later the internet dies again and, low and behold. my router cant get DHCP settings from the modem.

I'm really at a wits end as to whether this a problem with my router hardware or the modem itself. The modem is an old Motorola Surfstrem thing that i've had since i first got broadband back in 2001. Also during this downtime i couldnt get in to the modem through http://192.168.100.1/config.html which is why i was thinking it was a virgin problem/modem issue.

Able to get into it now and got these detials.

Downstream Value
Frequency 331000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 35 dB
Power Level -6 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

I am close to leaving virgin, however apart from thier shoddy india service, they have been great for the last 7 years. i was just wondering if anyone, perhaps a tech, can shed some light on this. I'm not sure if i need to ask for a new modem, buy a new router (which i doubt it is) or wait it out and see if it is actually a fault with virgin.

Also, does anyone know if there is a level 2 tech support number? i don't want to phone up india again and get the usual script.

Thanks.

whydoIneedatech
20-08-2008, 20:05
Can you post the Upstream as well please, on a Motorola you only need to use http://192.168.100.1/ to access the config pages.

That modem is rather old and tired, and not truly capable of keeping up with the faster speeds now available, they had 512kb when that was issued, ring Tech Support on the number below and get it swapped.

Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

lmc87
21-08-2008, 15:43
My internet came back yesterday for about an hour and worked perfect, got my 10 meg down 500 up, then died again. uplugged my router, plugged it back in and the online light kept flashing on and off, which leads me to believe its a modem/virgin issue.

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 25800000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 50 dBmV

Here are some errors from the logs yesterday;

************ 3-Critical T2.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 309500000, US Id 0
************ 3-Critical T2.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 309250000, US Id

and it kept on going through the freqs.

If this problem persists i will phone up and ask for another modem.

Thanks.

r00t
21-08-2008, 16:07
A new modem will not help if your online light is flashing.
Low SNR, FEC errors will cause the online light to flash, in other words it is a network issue.

lmc87
23-08-2008, 01:50
Thats what i thought, and was confirmed when two virgin vans popped outside next doors. had a quick 5 minute chat and confirmed it was a network issue.