PDA

View Full Version : Dear VirginMedia

philj
20-08-2008, 16:33
Dear VirginMedia,
You say traffic shaping. I say lack of investment

You say Unlimited Broadband. I say you're playing with semantics. How can it be unlimited if you limit it? Fixing a quota before you engage traffic shaping is limiting it.

You say security. I say illegal invasion of privacy

You say Customer Service. I say "You're having a laugh"

You say Phorm and I say goodbye

philj

Sirius
20-08-2008, 16:35
Dear VirginMedia,

You say Unlimited Broadband. I say you're playing with semantics. How can it be unlimited if you limit it? Fixing a quota before you engage traffic shaping is limiting it.

philj

Well said

Kymmy
20-08-2008, 16:39
Wouldn't though it be better off said to Virgin Media???

philj
20-08-2008, 16:41
I have done

wwe
20-08-2008, 16:43
what have they said

philj
20-08-2008, 16:44
I await their reply with bated breath

wwe
20-08-2008, 16:45
let me know what they say mate

xspeedyx
20-08-2008, 17:07
Dear VirginMedia,

philj

I say very true

I say even having a certain speed ur limited to what you can download

I say is this to do with your last you say comment

I say dont put all customer services people in the same boat

Toto
20-08-2008, 17:37
I say

Aren't there already a large number of threads where the O/P could have posted this?

Kymmy
20-08-2008, 17:45
I say

Aren't there already a large number of threads where the O/P could have posted this?

As it's about the OP's gripe with VM it is related to lots of threads but has a right to be in it's own. Will be interesting if the OP gets a response from VM

AbyssUnderground
20-08-2008, 18:18
I say give the man a beer. In fact no, give him two for nailing it in one :p:

Toto
20-08-2008, 18:30
As it's about the OP's gripe with VM it is related to lots of threads but has a right to be in it's own. Will be interesting if the OP gets a response from VM

OK, but gripes about VM, on each and every point he quoted are two-a-penny here, and whilst I have no issues with that per se, I'm sure it could have been bolted on to some existing discussion threads.

That being said I will predict that "if" VM respond, they will be answers given to countless others who may have asked the same questions.

Good luck, I hope you get answers that help you form an opinion as to whether you stay with VM.

Jonathan90
20-08-2008, 18:37
yeah but it is still unlimited we haven't got a cap like bt ie 40gb a month so in theory its still unlimited

xspeedyx
20-08-2008, 18:42
yeah but it is still unlimited we haven't got a cap like bt ie 40gb a month so in theory its still unlimited

*waits for thread to get interesting*

AbyssUnderground
20-08-2008, 18:44

I hate STM but I agree with you. Let me quote myself from another topic.

VM users still seem to be overlooking the fact that even with STM, you can still download:
2Mbps - ~16GB/day, ~448GB/month
4Mbps - ~32GB/day, ~896GB/month
10Mbps - ~75GB/day, ~2050GB/month
20Mbps - ~150GB/day, ~4100GB/month
And when it comes out (if STM trends follow in suit):50Mbps - ~375GB/day, ~10500GB/month
(~ means approximately)

That is far more than any other ISP would allow with their throttling thats for damn sure, especially BT now they are throttling everyone.

If VM can't afford to upgrade their network because of debt, don't you think that they should:-1. Stop giving out offers to keep people on their services and just let them leave. Chances are they cost the company a lot more than they pay.
2. Stop upgrading to be better than everyone else and pay off a little debt first. Work on getting the service you have working for everyone and not just some.

And the same thing still stands. Stop giving offers and upgrading everyone until they get a working service.

Fatec
20-08-2008, 18:53
I hate STM but I agree with you. Let me quote myself from another topic.

And the same thing still stands. Stop giving offers and upgrading everyone until they get a working service.

Problem with you're quote is you seem to only be looking at it with a one way system.

Normal users dont want to download all night, your way suits the heavy users.

Normal users who hit STM using youtube, iplayer, itunes, xbox live etc are still not going to be happy as they are getting a half assed service...and even worse most of the time they blame youtube/iplayer/xboxlive etc for the slow service without knowing VM apply STM, why? because they like to hide the fact, unless you know where to look it wont exactly stand out, that..really...annoys me.

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

No, it is a cap, see there is a difference between an actual line speed cap (as in what you're line can achieve)

Over an artificial cap to which the ISP has purposely put in place.

You cannot claim unlimited because you're purposely slowed down after 20 minutes which in turn slows your down/rate throughput thus limiting the amount of data you can download in one day.

Dont care how anyone puts it, its a cap and its as simple as that.

We never had "up to" till STM either, cant think why :rolleyes:

AbyssUnderground
20-08-2008, 19:28
I guess I never thought of it that way Trax. I rarely hit STM since I avoid downloading during the limited times deliberately. Any downloading I have is scheduled for night time or early morning.

Stuart
20-08-2008, 19:31
We never had "up to" till STM either, cant think why :rolleyes:

No. NTL never admitted to it, but the service frequently didn't give the advertised speeds.

TayUK
20-08-2008, 20:51

Dictionary:
unlimited

adj.

1. Having no restrictions or controls: an unlimited travel ticket.
2. Having or seeming to have no boundaries; infinite: an unlimited horizon.
3. Without qualification or exception; absolute: unlimited self-confidence.

I think that speaks for itself.

xspeedyx
21-08-2008, 12:07
As I have said before your still limited because of your line speed so what ever way you look at it there is always a limit, I dont like STM but live with it

Jonathan90
21-08-2008, 12:31
What does unlimited broadband mean?

No download limits. Unlike some of our competitors, you get unlimited° downloads as a basic right so you can load up on music, films...whatever you're into.

from the virginmedia website unlimited downloads which is correct in a way cause they don't actually stop you from downlaoding they just slow you to a crawl lol

Kymmy
21-08-2008, 12:52
There's no such thing as UNLIMITED broadband as the speed itself is a limit, whether it be 10Mb or STM'd 2Mb on a 10Mb line. I don;t know why people grab hold of the UNLIMITED bandwagon where no broadband in the world is unlimited whether advertised or not!!!

dev
21-08-2008, 14:21
There's no such thing as UNLIMITED broadband as the speed itself is a limit, whether it be 10Mb or STM'd 2Mb on a 10Mb line. I don;t know why people grab hold of the UNLIMITED bandwagon where no broadband in the world is unlimited whether advertised or not!!!

simple, people are stupid and read advertising crap

as for people saying 'vm slow you down after 20mins', no they don't, they slow you down after a certain amount downloaded

Jonathan90
21-08-2008, 15:06
why is it that noone can see the way i am getting at ok
question do they stop you downlaoding at eny time

answer no = unlimited you can use it as much as you want but the speed that u get it at varies etc? so really its not false advertising? wouldn't they get sued if it were?

like a mobile contract they say unlimited means use as much minutes as you want just don't abuse etc yet as other contacts has limits on 300 minutes etc? enyone getting at what i am saying?

take bt 8md adsl package they have limits its not unlimited (option 2) yes i know there isn't such thing as unlimited but you get the jist

Zhadnost
21-08-2008, 15:45
My 3 data packaged was descibed as unlmiited (don't know if it still is). The limit is 1GB/month. (although after that I think you get more if you pay through the nose).

dev
21-08-2008, 18:46
why is it that noone can see the way i am getting at ok
question do they stop you downlaoding at eny time

answer no = unlimited you can use it as much as you want but the speed that u get it at varies etc? so really its not false advertising? wouldn't they get sued if it were?

people class VMs STM as not being a limit because once you hit the STM "limit" you don't lose access or forced to pay more you just simple lose some speed

Fatec
21-08-2008, 18:58
people class VMs STM as not being a limit because once you hit the STM "limit" you don't lose access or forced to pay more you just simple lose some speed

You lose access to the other 75% of the connection :p: ;)

xspeedyx
21-08-2008, 19:54
I found my 75% after 5 hrs and I checked everywhere did stm steal

SteevieNiteHeat
21-08-2008, 20:38
Sorry to burst in here, but back in the day when O2 was still BT Cellnet, I had the Genie sim cards, which had UNLIMITED text messages, and they WAS unlimited!

Me and a friend used to use on average of 1,000 text messages a month!

No offence meant to anyone else here, but that is the ONLY service I have ever experienced that was truely unlimited!

Hugh
21-08-2008, 21:39
Yes, and I worked for BT Cellnet at the time, and the Marketing Director (Kent Thexton) who launched that caused the company heaps of problems with that particular maketing ploy, which is why it was discontinued.

SteevieNiteHeat
21-08-2008, 21:46
Yes, and I worked for BT Cellnet at the time, and the Marketing Director (Kent Thexton) who launched that caused the company heaps of problems with that particular maketing ploy, which is why it was discontinued.

lol oh well, we had 5 good months with a Genie card, couldn't beat it!
Still, I blame txtchat (2428) that was ever so addictive, especially with most of my friends on it :)

AbyssUnderground
22-08-2008, 10:56

You're right. Its called UNMETERED if anything. Unlimited is such an overused word, it basically means infinite doesn't it? The correct term is unmetered, just like the datacenters use on their connections. Why are broadband companies any different?

When they mention Unlimited, you should immediately assume you can download infinite amounts of data instantly.

However!

When they mention Unmetered, you should immediately look for a speed you can download at and then assume you can download forever at that speed.

Sorry, I'm just splitting hairs now, but I've said it before, they always use the wrong terms.

Magilla
22-08-2008, 11:11
Dear VirginMedia,

philj

A good and accurate post. Couldn't agree more.

Zhadnost
22-08-2008, 11:14
Dear VirginMedia,

philj

I can almost hear Humphrey Lyttleton asking you to sing that to the tune of Goodnight Sweetheart.