PDA

View Full Version : Internet problem (always disconnecting - Cambridge)

saffadk786
20-08-2008, 13:50
I've been having this problem recently, since last month or so but now its getting worse. Yesterday my internet got disconnected more than 10 times! the only way I can fix it is to restart my router and modem.

My wireless used to work fine last month...after I came back from holiday... now my PS3, iPod Touch, laptop can't even detect it. It's very strange because i did manage to connect wireless with my laptop and touch just once last week. The internet and wireless is messing around now and its really annoying. I can't even connect to my laptop using ethernet via router without restarting modem and router a few times. I can't even download torrents properly :(

It all used to work perfectly before...and after coming back from holiday its not working?! Anyway, i just called VM and the guy said he is receiving errors from my 'line' meaning from the area so he said I have to wait for that fault to be fixed because nothing is wrong with my modem. I don't know what to do now, i don't even know what problem is in my area.

My modem is ntl:home 200 and I'm living in Cambridge .. CB1 postcode

allsorts111
20-08-2008, 13:54
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33637723-happy-yet-annoyed-confused-virgin-useless.html

Your going dowm the long road of "passing the problem around" and no one actually knowing what is going on. My fault number has not been updated for weeks!

If Virgin are saying that there is a problem which is not with your equipment then you'll simply have no choice but to keep phoing to check on the status of the fault fix.

Have you connected the modem directly to any of these devices? Otherwise, your simply going to be without a proper service unless they fix it; which has not happend here!!!

saffadk786
20-08-2008, 14:05
I haven't connected modem directly to my PC or PS3..i don't know if that will fix it because the modem lights go all funny when i lose connection. And anyway, it all used to work fine with my router, so there's nothing wrong with my router because I haven't touched it (apart from taking out the power).

Can't believe I had to sit through this really annoying problem for months!

allsorts111
20-08-2008, 14:07
Ive got the same problems here, months of slow speed, disconnections and Virgin telling me that there is no problem their end. Now the tables have turned and they have admitted that there either is or way a problem- "effecting 30 other people since June". Right now im being told that it has been fixed by one person, told that they have no idea what Virgin are doing to fix it by another, told that the ticket has not been updated for weeks by one and then cut off by another two!

Try connecting your modem directly to your PC, just to rule out any problems with your router, it's worth a try.

sstainer
20-08-2008, 14:15
what levels do the ntl200 report goto
http://192.168.100.1/ root root if required
downstream, upstream snr etc

saffadk786
20-08-2008, 14:18
Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem

Downstream Frequency : 330750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Interleave Depth : 32
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 33.5 dB

Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 45.50 dBmV
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600

I don't what levels you mean..so i just copied and pasted

Axegrinder
20-08-2008, 14:34
Those power levels are spot on.

allsorts111
20-08-2008, 14:38
I was told mine were too and time and time again told that I was the one with the problem; after a while I was told that since June another 30 people had the same problem...
..confusing...

saffadk786
20-08-2008, 15:08
I tried connecting modem directly to PC...same problem, i got disconnected just now and rebooting it made it work. I've switched back to using router because the other computer needs internet too.

I've also been having the problem since June, but now its more serious and even more annoying, especially for a big internet user like me!

allsorts111
20-08-2008, 15:13
What area are you from? I was told by one person its a "high TX load" and another that "the server is receiving a low frequency". Besides from that, they dont know what its being done to fix it as the ticket has not been updated. During my last call I asked for the ticket to be re-newed.

Joxer
20-08-2008, 15:19
High TX load means it's busy, specifically the upstream or upload is busy - if this is the case it should get noticably worse at about four oclock when all the kids get home from school and fire up the pc. "the server is receiving a low frequency" this as far as I can tell, means nothing at all and someone just made up an in impressive (well, not really) sounding statement to fob you off.

saffadk786
20-08-2008, 16:09
What area are you from? I was told by one person its a "high TX load" and another that "the server is receiving a low frequency". Besides from that, they dont know what its being done to fix it as the ticket has not been updated. During my last call I asked for the ticket to be re-newed.

Im from Cambridge..CB1 9YP

I'm gonna call 151 tommorow to find out more about the problem...today hasn't been that bad for me..only been disconnected about 3 times so far.

allsorts111
21-08-2008, 12:10
Im from Cambridge..CB1 9YP

I'm gonna call 151 tommorow to find out more about the problem...today hasn't been that bad for me..only been disconnected about 3 times so far.

My issue seems to be sorted, Im now downloading at 450 kb/s and am not being disconnected time and time again...
Let us know how you get on and good luck.

Ps: Try calling and pressing OPTION 4. These guys are very helpful and will call through for you and fight your case. Explain the issue and tell them that you want answers (but be polite) and im sure they will not mind helping you. However, do not allow them to transfer you to anyone in India (they may ask you if they can transfer you to someome fromTech support after a while).

saffadk786
21-08-2008, 17:45
Very strange today...My internet stopped a lot of times but within 30 secs it came back on. So just 10 mins ago my internet stopped once again. I wanted to get the tech support guy on the phone when my internet was not working but , but as soon as i reached the guy my internet started again. Anyway he said he will send me a new modem. He also said there was no problem in my area whereas the other guy said there was.

Thats really strange, if the problem still persists, i'm going to call the tech support when the internet is not working (and hopefully the internet doesnt start up again) and maybe then he/she can see what the problem is!