PDA

View Full Version : Post Code Check, please

DrK
20-08-2008, 12:54
Hi

Trying to get broadband sorted out for my nephew, have checked on VM website, and it says its Analogue only, but it can get internet etc.

Have called VM sales to arrange it, was then told can't have any services there, next door has Virgin, and so do most of the houses on the street.
If anyone could check for me, that would be great.

Postcode is De223pn.

Thanks for your help

D_Skids
20-08-2008, 12:59
From the Virgin website:

Result!

Good news, you can receive a cable service in your street.
This means we can deliver our service using fibre optic cable specifically designed to carry high speed internet, digital TV and phone. It's reliable, unaffected by the weather and the quality of service is not based on how far you live from the telephone exchange - unlike all other broadband providers.

DrK
20-08-2008, 13:01
Yeah i know that... but when you phone VM sales... you get told NO! lol

Raistlin
20-08-2008, 13:01
I've removed the house number that you posted. It really isn't a good idea to post such specific personal information on a public forum, especially as I'm guessing that's your nephew's address and not yours.

I would imagine, although I could be wrong, that the VM Techs here will only have access to the same information as the people you've spoken to at Virgin. Maybe it's worth having a chat with your nephew's neighbours to see if they had similar problems getting connected and then give VM a call back.

I'm assuming you've told VM that the other people in the street have Virgin services?

DrK
20-08-2008, 13:03
Ok, I will do... Failing that what else can i do for internet? i dont have a phoneline and i dont want to have one installed. What other cheap ISP's are out there that dont require a phone line?

Raistlin
20-08-2008, 13:10
Not many I would suspect.

Most will require phones as that's what the modems are connected to.

VM with a cable connection would be your best bet, but until you can convince them to service the property :shrug:

BenMcr
20-08-2008, 13:50
That post code is all even numbers.

If your house is an odd numbered address might explain it ;)

Also can get all services i.e. DTV/BB and Telco

Mr Mixalot
20-08-2008, 16:22
I'm having this issue, my new house according to the website cannot get cable but next door have it, to cut a long story short the install manager has been out and they won't do the install because of Health & Safety, reason being the cable is going over my house as I have Yorkshire Stone and they don't want to lift the flags up (too heavy), but the engineers are 'not allowed' to go over a certain height when installing, so my question is If I was to get a 3rd party to put the cable over the house will VM come out and connect it up the ends

Thanks in advance

spiderplant
20-08-2008, 21:11
If your house is an odd numbered address might explain it ;)
If it's odd-numbered, the postcode is DE22 3PP.

As far as I can see, all properties in Westbury Street can get the full set of VM services, apart from numbers 48 and 54, and the three flats in Westbury Court.

There might be local capacity issues, but I doubt Sales would know that. Check the postcode, then try again.