PDA

View Full Version : virgin broadband wireless help?

kdoddsy
20-08-2008, 12:26
hello,my dad got a new router from virgin media whcih is the netgear one,i plugged it in with the modem in my room but not connected to a pc,then my brother got the pc in his room to connect to the router in my room,)because i have a laptop.then he put the virgin media wireless software on his pc and he searched the connection and try to connect to it but it has a password on.
it is a default password do anyone no what that is???:sleep:

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

also i used my old linksys router and connected with it to my modem then searched the
wireless point and it came up linksys but i havent put a passowrd on that and it says type in a 8 phrase password??
any ideas???

Richy99
20-08-2008, 12:36
did you run the setup disk that came with the router?

kdoddsy
20-08-2008, 13:09
yes

Joxer
20-08-2008, 13:28
If you are running the setup CD as you appear to be, it is asking you to select (ie create) a password.

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

For manual setup without the CD see here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34613733-post12.html

whydoIneedatech
20-08-2008, 18:19
How to set up your Virgin router.

First you need to fully uninstall the software from your computer, by first going to the system tray by the clock on desktop and exiting the wireless manager, then go to start > control panel >unistall programs> now unistall the wireless manager from here then exit .

Next ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router and you will see a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into press the reset button in this hole for approx 10 seconds then switch off the router and modem

then follow the set up instructions here.

-----------------------------------------------

Quick router set up for the Virgin router without the disk.

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.

------------------------------------------------------------

Welshchris
20-08-2008, 18:29
Good luck with the Virgin Media router, i scraped both the ones they sent me cos they didnt work properly, kept resetting connection and i had to buy my own.

stevos
21-08-2008, 09:53
i had to connect mine up with the modem going to the internet port on the netgear WGR614 v9 router, then use a cable between the wireless router to my computer to then do the setup. if you run the setup wizard on the netgear router setup page at the very top left after logging in with the username - virgin and password - password by going to routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1

It was a pain at first for me to work it out, but seeing as this is my first cable internet connection i guess its less hassle than the 10 day "trial" period with adsl and the filters that adsl require. =)
my cable runs nice and close to the 20Mbp which is good. im a bit oooooOO at the speed, back home i had 4-5mbp and i'd get maybe 200-300KB/sec usually.

Gopher
21-08-2008, 10:40
hello,my dad got a new router from virgin media whcih is the netgear one,i plugged it in with the modem in my room but not connected to a pc,then my brother got the pc in his room to connect to the router in my room,)because i have a laptop.then he put the virgin media wireless software on his pc and he searched the connection and try to connect to it but it has a password on.
it is a default password do anyone no what that is???:sleep:

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

also i used my old linksys router and connected with it to my modem then searched the
wireless point and it came up linksys but i haven't put a password on that and it says type in a 8 phrase password??
any ideas???

The default User name and password are normally on the Label on the side of Router

arkwright23
22-08-2008, 17:20
Hi, I have a WebSTAR DPX100 modem and a cable connected to the USB socket at the back, from which I get internet access. I am getting a new pc from dell along with a wireless router. How do I connect the router, modem and computer together, I'm getting wireless for use with a laptop. The modem has 1 USB port and an ethernet port. As I only have the cable connected to the USB port will I need different cables for the 2 connections.

tia
A

whydoIneedatech
22-08-2008, 17:41
Hi, I have a WebSTAR DPX100 modem and a cable connected to the USB socket at the back, from which I get internet access. I am getting a new pc from dell along with a wireless router. How do I connect the router, modem and computer together, I'm getting wireless for use with a laptop. The modem has 1 USB port and an ethernet port. As I only have the cable connected to the USB port will I need different cables for the 2 connections.

tia
A

You can only use use one port on your modem at a time, either USB or Ethernet.

To connect you have an ethernet lead from the modem to the router Wan port and another ethernet lead from one of the router Lan ports to the PC.

Then your laptop will connect wirelessly with the router.

The DPX100 modem is rather old and my advice would to contact Tech Support and ask about getting a new modem as that model will struggle with speeds above 10 meg as when that was first issued it only had 512 kb speed to contend with.

If you get a new modem it should be a Ambit 256 which only comes with an Ethernet port as connecting your modem via USB is no longer supported by Virgin.

Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

Joxer
22-08-2008, 17:42
You can only use either the ethernet or the USB so you will need to disconnect the usb cable and connect that pc with an ethernet cable to the router.

arkwright23
26-08-2008, 16:33
Thanks for that.
I emailed Virgin and they said that my modem will support 10 meg so they won't upgrade.
I phone Virgin on another matter and my broadband is now reduced to £16 from £25 and they are sending me a free wireless router.

A

eth01
26-08-2008, 16:38
You can only use either the ethernet or the USB so you will need to disconnect the usb cable and connect that pc with an ethernet cable to the router.

yeah. the configs only allow 1 CPE..

whydoIneedatech
26-08-2008, 18:16
Thanks for that.
I emailed Virgin and they said that my modem will support 10 meg so they won't upgrade.
I phone Virgin on another matter and my broadband is now reduced to £16 from £25 and they are sending me a free wireless router.

A

Depends on the agent, when you receive your router phone up again and say your having trouble and do they think the modem may be the problem as its so old.