PDA

View Full Version : One month without a phone!

lutra99
20-08-2008, 11:06
I have had a very poor experience lately with Virgin. I reported a fault with my phone line several weeks ago (crackling noises and cutting out). Engineer eventually came, only to make matters worse - blaming rainwater in "the box" on the roof (I live in a block of flats). Now no phone service at all. He couldn't sort it out so I had to make another appointment. Nobody turned up - no explanation. Made another appointment for today. Sent someone to put a new cable in but he wouldn't go on the roof. He said that the previos engineer's rainwater comment was "ridiculous". Now have to wait for an abseiler or a cherrypicker to come - no idea when that will be, so probably more weeks waiting. Have spent a fortune phoning virgin with my mobile, made to listen to interminable announcements that I don't want to hear only to be put through to a call centre where the operator doesn't seem able to veer from the script. Feel like chucking the lot in and going with BT/Sky (I also have V+ and broadband).:mad:

Maggy
20-08-2008, 14:53
I'm sorry you have had so much trouble over this issue..Hopefully they will sort this out before long and maybe someone will be along later to provide some help.:erm:

fudge
20-08-2008, 19:34
lutra99 ,I have same prob. Very loud crackling on line , Phone rings but you cant here anyone due to the loud crackling ,someone coming out next tuesday.

Nedkelly
20-08-2008, 19:43
I can not belive this the techs should have local knowledge of the area and know the problems that can occur .This is not good enough :mad:You are right to complain

lutra99
27-08-2008, 10:34
:mad:Have now been told that the engineers visited when I wasn't at home and have decided that the problem cannot be solved! The person I just spoke to on the telephone (my mobile) has generated some sort of complaint proceedure, and I've now been waiting for best part of an hour for her to phone back to tell me what's going on - when we last spoke she said she was being "passed around the departments" What a shambles.

lutra99
27-08-2008, 16:12
She never did call back. After two aborted phone calls (I was cut off each time the operator tried to transfer me to customer services) I spoke to someone who expressed incredulity of the fact that my repair was in a "non-serviceable area" - this despite the fact that I have had a phone with Virgin (or its predecessors) for over 10 years! Am now waiting for yet another call back from somebody else in another department.

MovedGoalPosts
27-08-2008, 16:34
This all seems a bit on the silly side. Left hand doesn't know what right hand is up to and the communications company can't communicate.

It may well be that there are genuine safety issues for the engineers accessing some of the cables on the roof. Rules and procedures have tightened up a lot during the last few years so cables that were accessible when you were first installed might need safer access methods now. Even so that shouldn't be your problem, unless physically access is being blocked - perhaps by a padlocked roofspace access due to local building management issues.

Cable Forum does have contacts at a senior level within Virgin Media who have proven adept at cutting through the red tape of their departments. If you wish us to escalate this to them, please PM me some details - your address, customer name, account number and daytime contact details (i.e. your mobile).

lutra99
27-08-2008, 16:41
Thanks Rob - have just sent the details

Cheers

lutra99
17-09-2008, 09:26
Got a call from someone in the Manchester office - directly as a result from Rob's intervention apparently - few days later two engineers arrived and fixed the problem in a few minutes! Also got over £100 in compsensation (in the form of deductions from future bills I assume)

Thanks very much to Rob for his help here

Cheers

MovedGoalPosts
21-09-2008, 16:31
Glad we were able to help cut through that red tape :tu: