PDA

View Full Version : DHCP issues South Notts

APS
20-08-2008, 11:01
We have seen intermittent problems with our cable connection in recent weeks, where the line stays up but some websites are not accessible.

Yesterday I went around to try to debug a similar recurring issue with a neighbours computer who was having the same problem. In their case I found out there seemed to be an issue with the router giving them IP addresses by DHCP. When I investigated further though I found the router (a Buffalo Wireless unit) was struggling to get an IP address from the WAN, with the local DHCP issue being a knock on effect.

I restarted the cable modem and then got the router to renew its IP address several times. I found two strange things:

1) it was given IP addresses with a lease of only 1 hour!

2) it was given alternatively given two different IP addresses and two different gateways. One from an 82. range and one from a 212. range.

I don't think this is normal?? Can anyone confirm please?

They are on the 2 Mb service.

APS

Axegrinder
20-08-2008, 12:01
I'm in south notts NG2, and I seem to be having the same problem, i just cant figure out if its my router or VM.

Broken Hope
20-08-2008, 12:23
I'm in NG5, but yes Notts has been having issues lately. I'm directly connected to the cable modem though so that rules out a router in my case.

nffc
20-08-2008, 21:05
Mine's fine...