PDA

View Full Version : New VM Cable Modem (Info on Install)

JediMaster
19-08-2008, 09:58
I was recomended to get a new Modem off VM as my old 120 model was not ideal for the 10mb upgrade.. VM said they will post one to me. No idea what Model it will be yet.

I connect via Network Cable (not USB). Will I just unscrew the VM Cable, Unclip the CAT5 & the Power & replace new modem & Boot PC up? Or will I have to inform them of new MAC address & all sorts of stuff?

Spitfire12
19-08-2008, 10:08
You will probably just need to screw in the Coax Cable (White Cable) into the modem
Put Ethernet Cable in
Boot up Modem
Surfing

(You might have to ring CS to tell them the new mac code , but i think they do this before they send you one

sstainer
19-08-2008, 10:26
most likely a 256 ?

loonytoon
19-08-2008, 10:36
I just installed a new modem so I can tell you now:

1. Unscrew the coax cable and unplug your old modem before you get on the phone.
2. Dial 151 and go through the steps
3. Get them to activate the new modem with the MAC code that's on the box
4. Then you listen to some nice music while on hold as they make some changes
5. They'll then tell you to plug the modem in at the mains
6. Once you confirm this, they'll tell you to insert the coax cable
7. Confirm that the Sync and Ready lights are lit up
8. Reboot your router if you're using one
9. Wait about 5-10 mins and you should be able to get online

As far as I know they're only sending out 256 modems which they say will support 50Mb/s

Kymmy
19-08-2008, 10:43
As far as I know they're only sending out 256 modems which they say will support 50Mb/s

Is the Ambit 256 Docsis3 enabled???

loonytoon
19-08-2008, 10:57
Unfortunately I don't think it is. I checked the Modem Configuration and it says:

Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant

Sorry

xspeedyx
19-08-2008, 11:02

1. Unscrew the coax cable and unplug your old modem before you get on the phone.

one little think its quickstart you need to speak to 151 takes u to faults 08009535353 is the number i think

moaningmags
19-08-2008, 11:04
one little think its quickstart you need to speak to 151 takes u to faults 08009535353 is the number i think

Only Quick Start if it's a new install,they won't touch a replacement modem.
Tech support adds it and sends the hits.

whydoIneedatech
19-08-2008, 11:57

Virgin Media has started rolling out its new standard modem across the network (ex-NTL areas currently, ex-Telewest areas from summer 2008). The model is the Ambit 256 modem which supports up to Docsis 2.0 with up to a 42Mbps downstream data rate. This is not the modem for the forthcoming 50mb trial and is not Docsis 3 ready. The modem is the follow on from the most recent 255 model supplied across ex-NTL area's of the network. The modem will only support Ethernet connections and is designed to utilise the plug and play aspects of its DHCP network to provide "CD-less" installs. This modem will also form the basis of all "Quick Start" self installs across the network from the end of summer 2008.

JediMaster
19-08-2008, 14:40
thanks guys... lets hope it goes as easy as 123 when it arrives... lol

Ignitionnet
19-08-2008, 15:01
Quick note, the specs on the Ambit modems as per Ambit's website are incorrect. They can actually support 55.616Mbit/s line rate, 51Mbit/s IP rate. The specs don't mention the EuroDOCSIS capabilities of the modem.

The modems in DOCSIS mode support 42.888Mbit/s as a line rate, the actual maximum data rate that is usable on that channel is about 38Mbit/s, though they also get the DOCSIS stuff wrong as well.

whydoIneedatech
19-08-2008, 17:54
Quick note, the specs on the Ambit modems as per Ambit's website are incorrect. They can actually support 55.616Mbit/s line rate, 51Mbit/s IP rate. The specs don't mention the EuroDOCSIS capabilities of the modem.

The modems in DOCSIS mode support 42.888Mbit/s as a line rate, the actual maximum data rate that is usable on that channel is about 38Mbit/s, though they also get the DOCSIS stuff wrong as well.

But we both know it will never be used on 50meg;)