PDA

View Full Version : Virgin and Googlemail

Welshchris
19-08-2008, 01:22
Is anyone else on Virgin having issues accessing Googlemail via Pop?

I cant even download emails on my bros laptop through my connection.

sstainer
19-08-2008, 01:36
nope all working fine
checked the settings are all correct in outlook?

Welshchris
19-08-2008, 02:24
yes and it gives me errors on both my bros laptop and my pc...

Starts to download emails, downloads a few and then i get this error...

Task (Email address) - recieving reported error (0x800CCC0F):
The Connection to ther server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact ur server administrator or internet service provider (ISP). The Server responded: -EER [SYS/TEMP] this fake empty mailbox has no messages. b36pf332935ika.8

i know theres emails on there cos i can log in and view them theres 42 of them.

Joxer
19-08-2008, 02:28
Antivirus? Quite a common issue. Similar symptoms.

v0id
19-08-2008, 02:34
Have you enabled pop in your gmail settings?

Welshchris
19-08-2008, 02:40
Antivirus? Quite a common issue. Similar symptoms.

I use Panda on my PC, and brother uses Avast so different Antiviruses...

---------- Post added at 01:37 ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 ----------

Have you enabled pop in your gmail settings?

Yes it is

---------- Post added at 01:40 ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 ----------

I just went next door to one of the students with my bros laptop and asked if i could try it on their connection they r will Tiscalli.

The Emails downloaded perfect no errors.

I asked him to email me through a few emails from his tiscalli to my gmail so i can download on my connection for a test.

He sent me 5 emails all had a 24k picture file attached... It downloaded 2 and failed.

If it worked perfectly on a Tiscalli connection and not on my Virgin Connection surely its a connection fault?

Jonathan90
19-08-2008, 05:55
talking of which can enyone get their emails through hotmail

or this website mail.live.com

eth01
19-08-2008, 10:05
talking of which can enyone get their emails through hotmail

or this website mail.live.com

try: http://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=10&ct=1219133135&rver=4.5.2130.0&wp=MBI&wreply=http:%2F%2Fmail.live.com%2Fdefault.aspx&id=64855

(but yes it does)

Scottster
19-08-2008, 14:15
Is anyone else on Virgin having issues accessing Googlemail via Pop?

Yep, I currently can't download on POP or IMAP, from any of my various devices. I've reset both router and modem, and I can happily ping to the various gmail domains (imap.gmail.com, pop.googlemail.com etc), and access Gmail in a web browser window. But, as of about 10am this morning, I have been unable to access either Gmail POP or IMAP from my PC, Macbook or iPhone. All work fine through the iPhone's 3G connection, so it can't be my Gmail account that's at fault. Thinking a Virgin Media DNS issue...

Scottster.

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

Yep, I currently can't download on POP or IMAP, from any of my various devices. I've reset both router and modem, and I can happily ping to the various gmail domains (imap.gmail.com, pop.googlemail.com etc), and access Gmail in a web browser window. But, as of about 10am this morning, I have been unable to access either Gmail POP or IMAP from my PC, Macbook or iPhone. All work fine through the iPhone's 3G connection, so it can't be my Gmail account that's at fault. Thinking a Virgin Media DNS issue...

Scottster.

Oh, I meant to say that I simply get a 'server timed out' error if I leave it trying. But as noted, it all works fine over a non-Virgin connection. So something fishy going on.

Scottster.

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

...and about five minutes after I posted this, Gmail IMAP/POP started working again! Will report back if I have any more ups and downs today.

Scottster.

Hugh
19-08-2008, 14:22
Working fine on 10MB Leeds, Vista Ultimate and Windows LiveMail

Scottster
19-08-2008, 14:29
...and about five minutes after I posted this, Gmail IMAP/POP started working again! Will report back if I have any more ups and downs today.

Scottster.

...and it's down again! This is fun.

Scottster

Welshchris
19-08-2008, 20:01
ive been having problems on and off for weeks, i usually download the emails late at night around 11pm cos if theres any large attachments its faster.

Jonathan90
19-08-2008, 20:46
can someone check hotmail again

joglynne
19-08-2008, 20:54
Hotmail OK in Manchester. Can I check anything else whilst I'm on the thread?

billjames
19-08-2008, 21:26
have you guys tried fastmail.fm

AndyCambs
19-08-2008, 21:53
no problem with Googlemail and POP3 here.
Did you change the POP server under advanced settings?

Kymmy
19-08-2008, 22:03
have you guys tried fastmail.fm

I use fastmail as a anti-spam throw away address, thier freebies though are only accessable via IMAP and they don't have a free SMTP server

TayUK
19-08-2008, 23:45
Checked my mail server logs and Pop3 to SMTP agent for the last 24hrs and no issues collecting off 6 googlemail accounts (A combination of gmail.com and several domains with MX records pointing to google)

Hotmail is also fine.

Welshchris
20-08-2008, 00:31
im still having problems on my Virgin Connection.... I have now setup my emails to download what i need on my ex partners connection who is using Sky and backing the Outlook file up to bring to my own pc and it works fine on the sky connection.

homealone
20-08-2008, 00:48
im still having problems on my Virgin Connection.... I have now setup my emails to download what i need on my ex partners connection who is using Sky and backing the Outlook file up to bring to my own pc and it works fine on the sky connection.

No problem here, Live Mail, Hotmail & Google mail all working as expected - sorry, I know that doesn't help those having problems, but posted for perspective..

Joxer
20-08-2008, 13:46
Just configured pop3 access for my gmail account - successfully downloaded 1672 messages totalling 89.7MB, so seems to work OK from here. Interestingly had to check mail four times to get it all - seems to be a limit somewhere on how much you can get at once all blocks about the same size (though not exactly) ie twentysomething MB no timeouts here.

Raistlin
20-08-2008, 13:52

DON'T delete that backup Outlook file from your Partner's PC until you're sure it works ok on yours!