PDA

View Full Version : BL5 - Connection Problems?

albert14
17-08-2008, 17:27
Hi,

I have recently got virgin media and I live in the BL5 area, but ever since I have setup the internet I have had problems with internet connections. Sometimes it fine for a couple of days then it will have intermittent problems for a week or so. Every time I call virgin they advise that I turn everything off and on again. I told them that it’s ok to do once every now and then but twice a day.

I thought it was my modem but I have had that changed already, the only thing left to try is changing the cable from the modem to my router.

I always get DNS related errors in the browser when my connection is off.

I have finally got an eng to come out to check my connection next week so fingers cross that he will find something wrong.

Does anyone else have issues similar my mine?

Thanks

sstainer
17-08-2008, 17:30
have you tried it without the router in the middle ie pc direct to modem

albert14
17-08-2008, 17:41
yeah i have, i had it running like that when it was setup because i didnt have a router for a about 2 weeks. I was looking on the modem lights when the connection is off and can see that the READY light is flashing and not stable like the people from virgin told me thats what it should be. I will be trying to changing the cable between modem and router tomo and see how i get on.

Its funny because my connection went off right after i submitted my first post :-)

Joxer
17-08-2008, 17:50
I think we need a peek at the modem config pages at http://192.168.100.1 username and apssword are both root if required - the downstream and upstream power levels and the SNR (signal to noise ratio.

Hard to be more precise without knowing which modem it is.

sstainer
17-08-2008, 18:26
I think we need a peek at the modem config pages at http://192.168.100.1 username and apssword are both root if required - the downstream and upstream power levels and the SNR (signal to noise ratio.

Hard to be more precise without knowing which modem it is.

agree there would help us all out alot having these figures just dont post any IP or seriel/mac address numbers

albert14
17-08-2008, 22:29
hi,

been trying to get back online to post these settings i found before, hope it helps to id problem...

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Downstream Receive Power Level : -7.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 35.6 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 54.0 dBmV

thanks for taking time on this, cheers

---------- Post added at 22:29 ---------- Previous post was at 22:25 ----------

sorry, forgot to post this too...

i have looked on the event logs on the modem and have found the following events...

Information (7) CableModem software upgrade failed
Error (4) SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file
Information (7) SW dload: Invalid image signature!
Notice (6) SW Download INIT - Via Config file cmreg-ntlhm250-light.cm
Information (7) CableModem software download started
Information (7) Software upgrade has started.

they are latest examples, if more is needed please let me know.

thanks

sstainer
17-08-2008, 22:58
hi,

been trying to get back online to post these settings i found before, hope it helps to id problem...

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Downstream Receive Power Level : -7.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 35.6 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 54.0 dBmV

thanks for taking time on this, cheers

---------- Post added at 22:29 ---------- Previous post was at 22:25 ----------

sorry, forgot to post this too...

i have looked on the event logs on the modem and have found the following events...

Information (7) CableModem software upgrade failed
Error (4) SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file
Information (7) SW dload: Invalid image signature!
Notice (6) SW Download INIT - Via Config file cmreg-ntlhm250-light.cm
Information (7) CableModem software download started
Information (7) Software upgrade has started.

they are latest examples, if more is needed please let me know.

thanks
i'm guessing its a 255 / 256 black modem will be a sticker under it saying so
as for them readings[event log] from what i can understand most 256's tend to do same been advised ignore it nothing to worry about, as for levels the downstream seems a little high [even though it looks low as being a minus -7.4] maybe borderline i expect some one will correct me sooner or later?

upstream maybe borderline too

Ignitionnet
17-08-2008, 23:04
Downstream is lower than ideal but should be ok and the SNR is fine.

Upstream transmit power is high though, I wonder if you need a tech to shift you to a higher tap or repull you, attenuation between you and cabinet is a bit high.

Do you have an attenuator on your modem or the cable connected to it? Certainly looks like high upstream transmit.

albert14
18-08-2008, 07:57
i have had a look at the cable and the modem and can not see anything that looks like an attenuator.

I got the eng coming tomo, is there anything i should tell them to look at?

Bezcom
18-08-2008, 15:41
hi albert14,
I have the same problems but I don't have a router,I think the engs have been about 8 times but generally the connection is fine when they arrive,I'm on my third replacment modem now and still no nearer to VM sorting the problem out. The last eng seems to think the amp in the street box is failing intermittently, but still it hasn't been fixed.

albert14
18-08-2008, 20:21
thanks for the reply Bezcom, thats plenty poor service, i hope my is simplier to fix other wise i will be ringing to cancel cause there is no way i am paying service that works when it wants too.

are the eng hopeful or do they fob you off with "IT" talk?

albert14
18-08-2008, 23:00
my internet went off before and i tried to go to http://192.168.100.1 to see what the modem was doing and it wouldn't load up.

my problems has to be modem related right?

anyone any ideas?

albert14
19-08-2008, 12:28
hi all,

thanks for all your input into my problem but i think its all sorted now.

Two engs came, checked the cable from the green box into my house and said that it was not up to virgin standards and they will have to replace it, they said the cable was cut in half and held together by tape so the they were not joined properly.

i was at work while they came round and my gf was at home dealing with them. she said they were really helpful and know exactly what was wrong and didnt try to fob her off.

Bezcom
19-08-2008, 17:07
Well, had the tech out again last night, he referred the problem to the installation team who came out today, fiddled about in the street cab and posted a "Problem Fixed, Bingo!!" note thru the door! Wayhayyyyyyyy!!!!!So fingers crossed!!:clap:

sstainer
19-08-2008, 18:17
hi all,

Two engs came, checked the cable from the green box into my house and said that it was not up to virgin standards and they will have to replace it, they said the cable was cut in half and held together by tape so the they were not joined properly.

i was at work while they came round and my gf was at home dealing with them. she said they were really helpful and know exactly what was wrong and didnt try to fob her off.

glad its all sorted.

on in an hour!
19-08-2008, 18:33
hi all,

hello albert14 do you live first left off hindley green rd if you come to the bottom of wearish la??

albert14
19-08-2008, 18:51
hello albert14 do you live first left off hindley green rd if you come to the bottom of wearish la??

yeah i live that estate

Raistlin
19-08-2008, 18:53
It might not be an entirely great idea for people to be posting their address details, or information that could lead to their address being disclosed, in a public forum :erm: