PDA

View Full Version : Neighbours cable socket causing me problems ?

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
17-08-2008, 15:09
I have been having badly fluctuating UL speeds for the past week. My neighbour has been doing major house alterations for the past month, including plastering the living room. If he has moved his cable socket himself and buggered it up (for want of a better phrase), could this be the cause of my (and other ppl in the street who also have poor upload speeds) problems ?
What are the chances its something to do with the green box components ? (the upload speed goes from normal down to 6kbps or less constantly, then back up).
I have called tech support 9 times, had an engineer out to fit a new modem, and am at my wits end because the problem is still the same. My UL speeds can be fine one min, then just as if a switch has been flicked on, they die to nothing (DL speeds remain fine though !).
I am on VM cable 'L' package only, new modem is ambit 256.

Raistlin
17-08-2008, 15:32
Moved as it doesn't appear to be an issue with a new installation, more a service issue with an existing one.

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
17-08-2008, 15:42
Ok sorry, 'whydoineedatech' suggested I post it in that section of the forum.

Raistlin
17-08-2008, 15:45
No worries.

whydoIneedatech
17-08-2008, 15:45
Ok sorry, 'whydoineedatech' suggested I post it in that section of the forum.

I expected quicker responses from Installation Techs in that thread, as it appears to be a problem with his next door neighbour's installation causing the issue for him and his neighbours.

Jonathan90
17-08-2008, 15:48
and again not trying to be a pain but please explain why it will affect him and other users?

Raistlin
17-08-2008, 15:52
I'm guessing some sort of signal noise feeding back into the local network, could be wrong though.

homealone
17-08-2008, 15:54
and again not trying to be a pain but please explain why it will affect him and other users?

If cable connections are remade & not done properly, it can cause 'reflections' back into the network, which increases the overall noise in the local area. This can cause problems such as packets needing to be re-transmitted, etc.

<edit> sorry Rob, crossed your post ..

Ignitionnet
17-08-2008, 16:00
Also further to this if connections are not sealed properly outside noise can get onto the network which then gets amplified and aggregated together with other noise from people on the node.

That said tech support should be able to see your upstream SNR and power level which should tell them all they need to troubleshoot it. If SNR is low but power ok it points to a noisy network, very high power points to issues with return path amplification. SNR being bad can even cause modems to increase their transmit power.

You should be able to get the upstream and downstream stats from your modem, it'd be useful to see these and see if your modem is transmitting at a high power in an attempt to 'shout over' any noise on network.

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
17-08-2008, 16:02
Thankyou all for your help.
I am struggling to comprehend why they would only cause upload issues, and not both-way traffic issues.
I just phoned VM tech support again (11th time this week), and they told me they are having their OWN SERVER problems and cannot conduct any line tests at this time !
Speedtest done 5 mins ago shows me as having 9970kbps DL, and 13kbps UL.

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.6 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.4 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 35.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Ignitionnet
17-08-2008, 16:35
Downstream is great, upstream transmit power is actually on the low side, but in any event you need to speak to tech support, they can tell more about the signal from your modem that's actually reaching the VM equipment.

Nedkelly
17-08-2008, 21:56
There is aother thread Newwark Notts having problems if you live in Lincoln this could be affecting you.:)