PDA

View Full Version : Advice for new 10mb connection

middlefinger
16-08-2008, 10:56
Hey all, been with virgin/ntl for ages on the 1mb the 2mb connection. recently upgraded to 10mb as we have a few computer running at the same time. The 2mb connection wasn't good enough to surf an play ps3 at same time but the 10mb is perfect at the min.

I don't download much at all, software updates for the computers and for my ps3 and maybe the odd demo. The kids watch alot of youtube music videos and I play alot of ps3, mainly from 8ish till 12.

With being on the 2mb connection I wasn't worried about STM but i've been reading through a few posts and wanted to make sure that im going to be safe from the STM.

Will playing the ps3 through peak times cause any problems? Also will watching youtube and playing games on websites cause any big problems?

Just trying to get an idea of what will do what so I know when to becareful if I need to be. With not downloading much I thought i'd be safe but wanted to check with you troops first

AbyssUnderground
16-08-2008, 12:06
The STM limit on 2Mbps is 500MB and on 10Mbps is 1200MB between 4pm and 9pm so you shouldn't have any problems. Even I rarely hit the limit and I'm a heavy user and I watch a lot of youtube videos as well.

Even if you do hit it, the speed is only 1/4 (2.5Mbps) and is still plenty to carry on doing whatever you are doing.

middlefinger
18-08-2008, 09:01
The STM limit on 2Mbps is 500MB and on 10Mbps is 1200MB between 4pm and 9pm so you shouldn't have any problems. Even I rarely hit the limit and I'm a heavy user and I watch a lot of youtube videos as well.

Even if you do hit it, the speed is only 1/4 (2.5Mbps) and is still plenty to carry on doing whatever you are doing.

Thanks for the reply, how long is the cap usually applied for? Does it last days or just for the day you have run over and would the cap be lifter after 9pm?

Maggy
18-08-2008, 09:03
Thanks for the reply, how long is the cap usually applied for? Does it last days or just for the day you have run over and would the cap be lifter after 9pm?

I believe you would be STMed for 5 hours from the moment you hit the limit.

Though I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong...;)

middlefinger
18-08-2008, 09:08
I believe you would be STMed for 5 hours from the moment you hit the limit.

Though I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong...;)

Ahhh thanks for the quick reply.

Is there anyway of monitoring what you have used? Would be handy to know.

AbyssUnderground
18-08-2008, 09:19
Ahhh thanks for the quick reply.

Is there anyway of monitoring what you have used? Would be handy to know.

If you have multiple computers its hard to know, but if you have a router that supports upgrading to firmware like DD-WRT v24 you can use that since it logs your daily usage onto a graph. Unfortunately thats the only method.

middlefinger
18-08-2008, 09:41
If you have multiple computers its hard to know, but if you have a router that supports upgrading to firmware like DD-WRT v24 you can use that since it logs your daily usage onto a graph. Unfortunately thats the only method.

Yeah I have a buffalo airstation router which can be flashed with DDR-WRT but not sure what version it could take. Its the WHR-HP-G54. Also i've not flashed anything before and the last time I looked I wasn't very confident in doing it.

Would using DD-WRT mean I wouldn't be able to use AOSS or is this featue still useable. Its works wonders to connect my ps3 from wired to wireless when needed.

Thanks again for the quick replies

whydoIneedatech
18-08-2008, 09:42
These are the 2 Virginmedia links with regards to STM and they advise the use of DU Meter and they provide a link for you.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Zhadnost
18-08-2008, 09:53
According ot the supported hardware list, WHR-HP-G54 will support v24 std. 05/24/08) - build 9526. initial flash: use ddadder (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ddadder) or Tftp_flash . (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Tftp_flash)

For the useage meter/graph you need to be using v24 (was added to one of the early betas).

Kymmy
18-08-2008, 10:11
they advise the use of DU Meter and they provide a link for you.

DU meter only runs on one PC, if you have multiple PC's then it's a case of running it on every PC and adding up the figures... Gawd knows why they don't produce a network capable one that has a master that colates all the figures for ya!!

There is though a few different routers that will report back usage stats but not much good for you if you already have one that doesn't and don;t want to replace it.