PDA

View Full Version : VirginMedia 50Mbit Statement (From VM)

Fatec
15-08-2008, 13:25
ignore/

Hugh
15-08-2008, 13:33
Too late........

Here's the link (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3659-details-of-virgin-media-cable-product-leak-out.html)

Sirius
15-08-2008, 13:33
ignore/

Update 11am Virgin Media has been in touch to point out that there is no traffic management on the 50Mbps tier for the trial connections, and no management levels have even been tested for product launch. So it seems the talk on forums is just that, idle chit chat and speculation. A full statement from Virgin is expected soon.

So is it Stm'd or is it not Stm'd only those in the test area's will know for sure :)

Fatec
15-08-2008, 13:39
It is impossible to know for sure whether the figures are what will apply to the product at launch, and with the product roll-out probably still some months away there is plenty of time for Virgin Media to change the figures.

So what has leaked out about the Virgin Media 50Mbps cable broadband package? Apparently it will have a 1.5Mbps upload speed, and the traffic management will only apply between the hours of 4pm to 9pm, with a trigger level of 6GB downloaded in the five hours. Those exceeding this limit will see their maximum speed reduced to 10Mbps for downloads and 0.5Mbps for upload traffic.

Update 11am Virgin Media has been in touch to point out that there is no traffic management on the 50Mbps tier for the trial connections, and no management levels have even been tested for product launch. So it seems the talk on forums is just that, idle chit chat and speculation. A full statement from Virgin is expected soon.

If the product does launch with no traffic management and the price premium over the 20Mbps product is not too large then the Virgin Media will have a product that only faces competition from providers like Ask4 and the full fibre network of H2O networks. A few ADSL2+ providers using their own unbundled network operate with no real limits, but even when BT launches fibre products it is unlikely to have a free for all of the scale Virgin Media is promising with its 50Mbps product

A 50Mbps connection, if allowed to run flat out for a month would download 16000GB (16 TeraBytes), hard drive storage for this amount of data would cost over £1000, or fill 1700 double layer DVDs.

I actually meant to reply to a thread rather than create a new post

There was a meeting this morning to decide the future of BB within VM, It was decided that 50Mbit will have no STM/Traffic management to start with.

And the new config which is on the new 10K Chasis is for the 20Mbit tier changing the limt from 3GB to 6GB during 4-9PM and with a 50% speed cut rather than 75%.

Dont shoot the messenger, VM can never make up their minds.

Sirius
15-08-2008, 13:43
VM can never make up their minds.

Now thats a statement you can trust :LOL:

So if thats true about no Stm then it looks like i will be signing up for some of that lovely downloading capability as its the only way to watch up to date HD, Lets face it VM dont have a clue about HD. I have just completed the upgrade of my media centre pc to full 1080p hd capability and Blueray player., I have also upgraded the main storage on it to 2 Tb. :)

Hugh
15-08-2008, 14:00

There was a meeting this morning to decide the future of BB within VM, It was decided that 50Mbit will have no STM/Traffic management to start with.

And the new config which is on the new 10K Chasis is for the 20Mbit tier changing the limt from 3GB to 6GB during 4-9PM and with a 50% speed cut rather than 75%.

Which contradicts
Actually it has been known (by VM bods) what they were going to charge, for quite some time.

Amusingly, as always, alex denied that STM trials were being run for 50Mbit and denied that it had rolled out at the end of the trial ;)

For most it was blatantly obvious that 50Mbit would not be STM free and wouldnt exactly be a premium product like they apparently say.

But yes, i do have some good sources...and indeed the price has gone down, though not by much and with STM the price/premium just is not going to be worth it, still, some muppets will still sign up for it just for bragging rights, those are the customers who VM want though, people who buy it and never use it :rolleyes:

There is 2 more trial areas ;)
;)

Fatec
15-08-2008, 14:02
Which contradicts

;)

Not exactly.

Trials are being run on 50Mbit (or were), alex denied it (as he always does)

The STM trial has ended and it has been decided that its not worth putting traffic management on it -yet-, note i say -yet-.

No matter what they say im certain that at one point it will have STM (aka soon as people actually sign up for it and use bandwith)

xspeedyx
15-08-2008, 14:02
Well Virgin have made atleast one good decsion

Sirius
15-08-2008, 14:03
Drags up his deck chair, Opens a cold one and waits for the fun to begin in this thread :)

Hugh
15-08-2008, 14:07
Not exactly.

Trials are being run on 50Mbit (or were), alex denied it (as he always does)

The STM trial has ended and it has been decided that its not worth putting traffic management on it -yet-, note i say -yet-.

No matter what they say im certain that at one point it will have STM (aka soon as people actually sign up for it and use bandwith)

So are you saying that the VM statement in thinkbroadband.com
Virgin Media has been in touch to point out that there is no traffic management on the 50Mbps tier for the trial connections, and no management levels have even been tested for product launch. So it seems the talk on forums is just that, idle chit chat and speculation. was a lie? :shocked: ;)

Rone
15-08-2008, 14:40
"with a 50% speed cut rather than 75%".

Well that would help more than a little.

xspeedyx
15-08-2008, 14:43
I wonder why VM suddenly decide on this

Sirius
15-08-2008, 14:49
I wonder why VM suddenly decide on this

But the 50% cut is still rumour

Fatec
15-08-2008, 14:51
But the 50% cut is still rumour

No it aint ;)

the config is already on the headend...:p:

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

So are you saying that the VM statement in thinkbroadband.com
was a lie? :shocked: ;)

VM, lie?:shocked: i'm shocked :p:

Toto
15-08-2008, 15:07
The core technical issue here is whether or not the new infrastructure can handle the obvious amount of bandwidth that is going to be used when whoever decides to take up this "premium" tier.

dev
15-08-2008, 15:08
No it aint ;)

the config is already on the headend...:p:

for 20 or 50mb?

Fatec
15-08-2008, 15:08
for 20 or 50mb?

20...(only on the new 10k chasis however)

xspeedyx
15-08-2008, 15:31
are all ubr's gonna use the new 10k chasis

Toto
15-08-2008, 15:34
are all ubr's gonna use the new 10k chasis

......and what's a 10K chassis anyway?

cookster
15-08-2008, 15:37

It's about double the capacity of a 5k, sorry couldn't resist ;)

xspeedyx
15-08-2008, 15:37
its a chassis thats 10K

Fatec
15-08-2008, 15:39

I really should learn to spell :D

Anyway Cisco ESR 10K BAC EM :p: *laughs*

Toto
15-08-2008, 15:47

ok :)

xspeedyx
15-08-2008, 15:57

I understood that post less than I do my girlfriend

Wisnaeme
15-08-2008, 15:59
Why is it that VM screw over everyone on a small narrow pipe, yet allow those on the bigger pipe (and obviously more potential to destroy the network) get to go non-stm?

I hit STM most days on my 2Mb connection just downloading podcasts. I do not use torrents or anything like this.

Could they not implement a "You are currently torrenting" and STM to 50% for an hour" policy as this would be much fairer on the consumer and keep torrenting down.

Ignitionnet
15-08-2008, 16:03
Swift post with more detail to be added, 50Mbit certainly did have STM exactly as Thinkbroadband mentioned, VM have removed it I guess, which is nice.

No idea about limits for 20Mbit via the 10ks.

Cisco ESR 10k refers to the 10k in its' DSL variant btw. ;)

*Cheer* that they got rid of STM on 50Mbit, it's suddenly become more tempting ;)

Mad Ad
16-08-2008, 05:01
Very tempting, because its pretty useless if its going to be a '50 meg in name 10 meg in reality' service.

Will now be wondering if we can get through the year contract without it being slapped on us.

stairpotato
16-08-2008, 06:21
Why is it that VM screw over everyone on a small narrow pipe, yet allow those on the bigger pipe (and obviously more potential to destroy the network) get to go non-stm?

At risk of stating the absolutely, blindingly, totally and utterly obvious....

...because those on the 'bigger pipe' pay more for their service than those on the 'smaller pipe'!!!!

watzizname
16-08-2008, 09:07
Well, i'm now thinking more than ever about moving to Be, as i noticed the rumour regarding the tight arsed 1.5Mb upload speed wasn't denied in that statement.
It could be a great time to do it as well, considering how many download hungry muppets are likely to be coming back to virgin, should really ease the strain over there..
I guess, alls well in the world again :)

eth01
16-08-2008, 09:15

As per: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33637112-please-help-me-understand-50mb-internet.html#15

But instead... you decided to poke the bush :rolleyes:

Also incorrect, The STM limits set for 50Mbit will only allow you 20minutes full usage just like the current STM setup.
That's all i've got on the matter.

As per: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33637112-please-help-me-understand-50mb-internet-page-2.html#16

---------- Post added at 09:15 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

Swift post with more detail to be added, 50Mbit certainly did have STM exactly as Thinkbroadband mentioned, VM have removed it I guess, which is nice.

No idea about limits for 20Mbit via the 10ks.

Cisco ESR 10k refers to the 10k in its' DSL variant btw. ;)

*Cheer* that they got rid of STM on 50Mbit, it's suddenly become more tempting ;)

Don't mean to be rude... but this is utter nonsense... none of which applies to VM.

Are you reading some archived PDF on DOCSIS or something?

Wisnaeme
16-08-2008, 12:27
...because those on the 'bigger pipe' pay more for their service than those on the 'smaller pipe'!!!!

Isn't STM meant to control the users who abuse their service? That'll be the users who use so much bandwidth that they block the system. I can't block the system on my 2Mb connection, but those on the 10+Mb connections can.
The slow connections will soon add an almost insignificant level of noise compared to the users who are on 10Mb+. This is why their reasoning is wrong.

xspeedyx
16-08-2008, 12:34
Yeah but 50Mb uses DOCSIS 3.0 and 2Mb uses DOCSIS 1.0 which in effect should have cross over and causes congestion

woooo hooooooo 2000th post

stairpotato
16-08-2008, 12:55
Isn't STM meant to control the users who abuse their service? That'll be the users who use so much bandwidth that they block the system. I can't block the system on my 2Mb connection, but those on the 10+Mb connections can.
The slow connections will soon add an almost insignificant level of noise compared to the users who are on 10Mb+. This is why their reasoning is wrong.

...so by your reasoning...those that pay for a 2meg service should be allowed to download as much as those that pay a premium for the 20 (or 50) meg service?

...and you think THEIR reasoning is wrong???

eth01
16-08-2008, 14:12
for 20 or 50mb?

the latter isn't available on TFTP...

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

Yeah but 50Mb uses DOCSIS 3.0 and 2Mb uses DOCSIS 1.0 which in effect should have cross over and causes congestion

woooo hooooooo 2000th post

thank you. :)

Ignitionnet
17-08-2008, 15:53
Don't mean to be rude... but this is utter nonsense... none of which applies to VM.

Are you reading some archived PDF on DOCSIS or something?

Which bit? That it had STM or that VM got rid of it. Your post makes no sense and I'm actually beginning to feel a tad persecuted by your dubious repping and need to disagree with everything I say.

Just FYI I've seen the STM configuration so I know it was there, I know it was on a 10k because multiple people and the output of a show version command say so, I know that 20Mbit customers will be pushed over to the 10k again because I have seen how it works on VM's network.

Fairly sure an archived PDF on DOCSIS doesn't discuss these things. I'm sure we're all interested however as you appear to think you have insider knowledge on what you do for a living and if you do actually work for VM as your posting implies? :cool:

eth01
17-08-2008, 16:06
Which bit? That it had STM or that VM got rid of it. Your post makes no sense and I'm actually beginning to feel a tad persecuted by your dubious repping and need to disagree with everything I say.

Just FYI I've seen the STM configuration so I know it was there, I know it was on a 10k because multiple people and the output of a show version command say so, I know that 20Mbit customers will be pushed over to the 10k again because I have seen how it works on VM's network.

Fairly sure an archived PDF on DOCSIS doesn't discuss these things. I'm sure we're all interested however as you appear to think you have insider knowledge on what you do for a living and if you do actually work for VM as your posting implies? :cool:

The reason I mentioned the "archived PDF on DOCSIS" was due to the fact that your knowledge on how VM operates just isn't... the way it works? :) (i don't think i can be much politer?) ...

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Ignitionnet
17-08-2008, 16:07
The reason I mentioned the "archived PDF on DOCSIS" was due to the fact that your knowledge on how VM operates just isn't... the way it works? :) (i don't think i can be much politer?) sorry.

Being likewise polite your claiming my comments on the uBRs that ntl and Telewest have used since the launch of their broadband products were speculation along with your considering core nodes of the VM network as being the edge I'll struggle to take what you say about my apparently lack of knowledge on VM seriously, so probably best we just agree to disagree.

EDIT: That said if you can actually show me I'm wrong rather than just saying I 'fail' I'll be more than willing to be educated.

eth01
17-08-2008, 16:10
Being likewise polite your claiming my comments on the uBRs that ntl and Telewest have used since the launch of their broadband products were speculation along with your considering core nodes of the VM network as being the edge I'll struggle to take what you say about my apparently lack of knowledge on VM seriously, so probably best we just agree to disagree.

can we please stay on-topic :)

Ignitionnet
17-08-2008, 16:13
Proves my point nicely, make a sneaky OT jibe then comment on staying on-topic when asked to back it up :)

Fatec
17-08-2008, 16:37
Proves my point nicely, make a sneaky OT jibe then comment on staying on-topic when asked to back it up :)

It really isn't worth it, he just likes to argue and disagree with practically everyone.

I've not seen you be wrong on any info regarding VM infrastructure/the way VM operate so i dont know where he is trying to get off here =/

eth01
17-08-2008, 16:41
It really isn't worth it, he just likes to argue and disagree with practically everyone.

I've not seen you be wrong on any info regarding VM infrastructure/the way VM operate so i dont know where he is trying to get off here =/

You've got room to talk. :rolleyes:

Er, i'll disagree with somebody who likes to fob others off with uBr's VM don't even consider using anymore and false information -- i.e. blaming it on the uBr when really it's a poxy router dropping incoming connections. If you know so much, then you'd know that, right?

Sirius
17-08-2008, 17:40

EDIT: That said if you can actually show me I'm wrong rather than just saying I 'fail' I'll be more than willing to be educated.

Having spoken to you on many many occasions and having exchanged information on many many occasions i must admit you are hardly ever wrong :)

eth01
17-08-2008, 17:46
Having spoken to you on many many occasions and having exchanged information on many many occasions i must admit you are hardly ever wrong :)

then the pun worked, no? :p:

xspeedyx
17-08-2008, 18:18
I am soooo shocked your arguing over your knowledge of vm's network

|Kippa|
17-08-2008, 18:22
Realistically with the 1.5mbit upload rate would you 'ever' reach 50mbit download rate? I know there are many factors why a connection could be slow, I am curious if you will ever reach 50mbit down with a 1.5mbit upload rate. As far as I can tell if you cannot reach 50mbit due specifically to such a low upload rate, would not Virgin Media be liable for false advertising as they 'choose' not to supply what you should get with your legal contract with them. I am thinking about the legal implications of deliberatly not giving you a product which they are obliged to give to the best of their ability.

The difference between say ADSL, the quality of the line is out of their control, but with the new 50mbit conneciton it is within their control specifically with regards to upload rate, and there by implies a choice, a choice not to provide the full product which you should be legally entitled to.

Couldn't Virgin Media get into a lot of trouble?

Ignitionnet
17-08-2008, 19:18
You've got room to talk. :rolleyes:

Er, i'll disagree with somebody who likes to fob others off with uBr's VM don't even consider using anymore and false information -- i.e. blaming it on the uBr when really it's a poxy router dropping incoming connections. If you know so much, then you'd know that, right?

Yeah because people's routers are connected directly to t3cores / t2cams, where the traces you are referring to stop. I never blamed uBR you did. I even explained why I was blaming what I was beyond claiming 'SNR' or 'routing issues at uBR'.

Oh yeah I forgot, after the t3cores VM's network ends, as 'core' in VM speak actually means 'edge'.

So Virgin since deploying the first 10ks a matter of months ago have replaced thousands of 7246VXRs have they? Familiar with the phrase that if it ain't broke don't fix it?

If you do actually work for Virgin Media, which I very much doubt, I suggest you go to your nearest headend / hubsite that has CMTSes in it.

They'll look a lot like this:

Download Failed (1)

With perhaps one of these:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/08/47.jpg

I'm still waiting for you to actually part with some information beyond saying that I'm completely wrong. :)

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

I am soooo shocked your arguing over your knowledge of vm's network

There's no real argument darth, being someone who does actually work for VM I think you know there's no real argument ;)

Toto
17-08-2008, 21:04
Realistically with the 1.5mbit upload rate would you 'ever' reach 50mbit download rate? I know there are many factors why a connection could be slow, I am curious if you will ever reach 50mbit down with a 1.5mbit upload rate. As far as I can tell if you cannot reach 50mbit due specifically to such a low upload rate, would not Virgin Media be liable for false advertising as they 'choose' not to supply what you should get with your legal contract with them. I am thinking about the legal implications of deliberatly not giving you a product which they are obliged to give to the best of their ability.

The difference between say ADSL, the quality of the line is out of their control, but with the new 50mbit conneciton it is within their control specifically with regards to upload rate, and there by implies a choice, a choice not to provide the full product which you should be legally entitled to.

Couldn't Virgin Media get into a lot of trouble?

Possibly, if your theory was correct, but it isn't.

Zhadnost
17-08-2008, 21:08
All this whinging about 1.5 Mbit upstream, is it possible that they don't have enough space on parts of their network for a second upstream channel?

eth01
17-08-2008, 21:17
Yeah because people's routers are connected directly to t3cores / t2cams, where the traces you are referring to stop. I never blamed uBR you did. I even explained why I was blaming what I was beyond claiming 'SNR' or 'routing issues at uBR'.

Oh yeah I forgot, after the t3cores VM's network ends, as 'core' in VM speak actually means 'edge'.

So Virgin since deploying the first 10ks a matter of months ago have replaced thousands of 7246VXRs have they? Familiar with the phrase that if it ain't broke don't fix it?

If you do actually work for Virgin Media, which I very much doubt, I suggest you go to your nearest headend / hubsite that has CMTSes in it.

They'll look a lot like this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8806/ps5684/ps2217/images/09186a008021d1c6_guest-Cisco_uBR7200_Series_Universal_Broadband_Routers-US-Service_Data_Sheet-EN_2_2_2_2_2_2_2_2_2_2_2-1.jpg

With perhaps one of these:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/08/47.jpg

I'm still waiting for you to actually part with some information beyond saying that I'm completely wrong. :)

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

There's no real argument darth, being someone who does actually work for VM I think you know there's no real argument ;)

We can all pretend like we know everything, and that's fine -- but there's a very fine line between the two, and it's been crossed -- so I accept the attacking...

You understand how cable networks operate, yes! But whether it ties in with VM is completely different.

Let's just move on, i think it's for the best ;)

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

Possibly, if your theory was correct, but it isn't.

Possibly.

Fatec
17-08-2008, 21:23
All this whinging about 1.5 Mbit upstream, is it possible that they don't have enough space on parts of their network for a second upstream channel?

They had no problem providing 6Mbit upstream using bonding at the start of the trials.

Its just about opting for cheaper modems.

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

We can all pretend like we know everything, and that's fine -- but there's a very fine line between the two, and it's been crossed -- so I accept the attacking...

You understand how cable networks operate, yes! But whether it ties in with VM is completely different.

Let's just move on, i think it's for the best ;)

Didn't think you'd actually give a proper reply to him :D

xspeedyx
17-08-2008, 21:43
So am i right in thining the modems are have channel bonding for downstream and not upstream?

Zhadnost
17-08-2008, 22:35
Have I misread it, or can DOCSIS 3.0 support up to 27Mbit upstream per upstream channel?

Ignitionnet
17-08-2008, 22:43
So am i right in thining the modems are have channel bonding for downstream and not upstream?

Modems will not have upstream bonding but will be firmware upgradeable to support it.

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

Have I misread it, or can DOCSIS 3.0 support up to 27Mbit upstream per upstream channel?

DOCSIS 3 has the same capabilities per upstream channel as DOCSIS 2, 30.72Mbit/s from the largest channel size possible, being a 64QAM 6.4MHz wide channel. I'm ignoring the S-CDMA type channels as they have similar throughput.

Zhadnost
17-08-2008, 22:52
DOCSIS 3 has the same capabilities per upstream channel as DOCSIS 2, 30.72Mbit/s from the largest channel size possible, being a 64QAM 6.4MHz wide channel. I'm ignoring the S-CDMA type channels as they have similar throughput.

I read it as 30.72Mbit sync speed, and 27Mbit useable speed.

Ignitionnet
17-08-2008, 22:56
I read it as 30.72Mbit sync speed, and 27Mbit useable speed.

Yep somewhere around there.

6.4MHz = 5120k symbols/second @ 64QAM = 6 bits/symbol = 30.72Mbit line rate. Slicing off the overheads leaves approximately 27Mbit usable data throughput however you don't want to be using all of that as upstream latency performance degrades at around 65 - 70% utilisation. You could get 27Mbit in data transfer out of it but would be wanting utilisation to stay under 20Mbit or so per upstream.

Richy99
18-08-2008, 10:38
Realistically with the 1.5mbit upload rate would you 'ever' reach 50mbit download rate? I know there are many factors why a connection could be slow, I am curious if you will ever reach 50mbit down with a 1.5mbit upload rate. As far as I can tell if you cannot reach 50mbit due specifically to such a low upload rate

when using dumeter it shows that when downloading at 20meg its uploading at around 400-420K so that woudl make it need just over 1meg to sustain 50

im probably going to get told this is all wrong by some im sure

tvtimes
18-08-2008, 12:22
Now thats a statement you can trust :LOL:

So if thats true about no Stm then it looks like i will be signing up for some of that lovely downloading capability as its the only way to watch up to date HD, Lets face it VM dont have a clue about HD. I have just completed the upgrade of my media centre pc to full 1080p hd capability and Blueray player., I have also upgraded the main storage on it to 2 Tb. :)

I have said on this forum and digitalspy many a time that 50meg probably won't have an STM because it will be a premium product imo and people thought otherwise and have basically shot my theory down in flames. I guess we will have to wait and see but VM really can not expect people to pay a premium price for a premium product and then accept that VM will cap em so heavily. If VM think that will happen then they are delluded.

Ignitionnet
18-08-2008, 12:36
I have said on this forum and digitalspy many a time that 50meg won't have an STM because it will a premium product imo and people thought otherwise and have basically shot my theory down in flames.

It had STM up until last week. 6GB between 4 and 9 then down to 10m/512k you went. Virgin changed their mind when the STM they were contemplating appeared on a news story on Thinkbroadband.

No idea why the STM was/is being removed. No idea how much of a premium product the 50m is until we have the price tag. I would imagine however that the utter amazement from the public at the mere suggestion of it carrying STM might have helped :)

tvtimes
18-08-2008, 12:38
It had STM up until last week. 6GB between 4 and 9 then down to 10m/512k you went. Virgin changed their mind when the STM they were contemplating appeared on a news story on Thinkbroadband.

No idea why the STM was/is being removed. No idea how much of a premium product the 50m is until we have the price tag.

I understand it had STM on it up until recently but i didn't expect them to actually roll it out with STM i think they were testing the waters and actually realised STM is not needed on the new DOCSIS, not for the time being anyway. Either way so far good news eh?:)

Given how much they charge for 20meg i would say it's going to be pretty hefty, i think around the £50 region.

Zhadnost
18-08-2008, 12:40
(From memory) Wasn't 10Mbit £50/month when it was released?

Ignitionnet
18-08-2008, 12:41

I paid £50/month for One (1) Mbit from ntl when it was released. That was however at the time when people actually paid for broadband service and expected it to be good rather than expecting it free / nearly free.

tvtimes
18-08-2008, 12:45

Not that i remember!:shocked: That is ridiculously steep and 10meg could never warrant a £50 price tag.:shocked:

Zhadnost
18-08-2008, 12:46
That could have been what I was remembering. The main reason I am not upset with STM is that I think we have come a long way very quickly, and even after being capped, 5Mbit/0.4Mbit isn't all that slow.

10 years ago where I worked we had what most people thought was a lightning fast connection (2Mbit synchronous leased line shared between 800 people).

Still (feet stamping) I don't think I'll upgrade if the renal is more than £47. :-)

tvtimes
18-08-2008, 12:47
I paid £50/month for One (1) Mbit from ntl when it was released. That was however at the time when people actually paid for broadband service and expected it to be good rather than expecting it free / nearly free.

Lol was that back when every other ISP was using dial up or something?!:shocked:

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

That could have been what I was remembering. The main reason I am not upset with STM is that I think we have come a long way very quickly, and even after being capped, 5Mbit/0.4Mbit isn't all that slow.

10 years ago where I worked we had what most people thought was a lightning fast connection (2Mbit synchronous leased line shared between 800 people).

We haven't really come that far really. Not compared to the US and Japan and a lot of Europe like France etc. We're stuck in the dark ages compared to most! Especially considering our rich nation. Mostly down to the likes of a terrible regulator and a money greedy government who's MP would rather keep the cash for themselves than give our country and it's citizens a good service etc.

HSp8
18-08-2008, 12:47
ignoring the upload problem, will anybody be able to utilise 50Mb download - sure I read somewhere that you'll only get 40Mb from Giganews

tvtimes
18-08-2008, 12:49
ignoring the upload problem, will anybody be able to utilise 50Mb download - sure I read somewhere that you'll only get 40Mb from Giganews

40MB is still good though. Most other aspects you will be able to utilise your full connection.

Ignitionnet
18-08-2008, 12:51
Lol was that back when every other ISP was using dial up or something?!:shocked:

Spring 2002

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

Hehe you'd be very wrong on that score, Giganews have happily fed me 88Mbit/s, maxing a 100Mbit connection ;)

tvtimes
18-08-2008, 12:51
Spring 2002

Not that long ago then, certainly not the dial up era:)

Ignitionnet
18-08-2008, 12:53
40MB is still good though. Most other aspects you will be able to utilise your full connection.

There still aren't a huge amount of places that'll saturate 50Mbit on a single stream, multithreaded downloads perhaps.

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 ----------

Not that long ago then, certainly not the dial up era:)

This was when the only place to get above 512k was either ntl or a much more expensive business grade DSL line, it was before a home DSL product above 512k exist and before Telewest released it. When they did release it at £35 a month ntl did eventually drop the price to match.

joglynne
18-08-2008, 12:55
I am afraid I don't understand a lot of the technical jargon on this thread but, the one thing that has struck me is that without a STM Virgin Media will be able to make a lot of hoo-hah when they bring out the advertisements for their "Super Dooper No Holds Barred 5OMbit Broardband."

Call me cynical but, once they have made a killing and drawn as many customers away from other ISPs and from their own lower tiers as possible, STM can be applied at a later date as needed.

xspeedyx
18-08-2008, 12:56
back 2005 2mb was £35.00 and 4mb was £50.00

tvtimes
18-08-2008, 12:59
There still aren't a huge amount of places that'll saturate 50Mbit on a single stream, multithreaded downloads perhaps.

I was thinking more along the lines of news groups torrents etc but then again depends on what connection you are getting it from.

I don't think i will be paying for 50meg when it launches, it will be too expensive for me.

This was when the only place to get above 512k was either ntl or a much more expensive business grade DSL line, it was before a home DSL product above 512k exist and before Telewest released it. When they did release it at £35 a month ntl did eventually drop the price to match.

Can you imagine if they had not brought the price down and still charged the same for a 2 meg connection or something now? Imagine how much your average 10meg connection would have cost!:shocked:

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

I am afraid I don't understand a lot of the technical jargon on this thread but, the one thing that has struck me is that without a STM Virgin Media will be able to make a lot of hoo-hah when they bring out the advertisements for their "Super Dooper No Holds Barred 5OMbit Broardband."

Call me cynical but, once they have made a killing and drawn as many customers away from other ISPs and from their own lower tiers as possible, STM can be applied at a later date as needed.

Yep and no doubt they will do it too. The more people that sign up for it the more strain it will have. It will most likely be a PR launching exercise at first and they may do it at a later date but i think this will be years because you would need some serious subscription numbers to put a strain on DOCSIS3.0 and the majority of their customers only take the 2mb service anyway. I can't see their being much interest in 50meg until such internet usage demands a better connection, things like Youtube etc are going to cause people to need to upgrade soon because the internet is growing at such a fast rate.

Zhadnost
18-08-2008, 13:00
We haven't really come that far really. Not compared to the US and Japan and a lot of Europe like France etc. We're stuck in the dark ages compared to most! Especially considering our rich nation. Mostly down to the likes of a terrible regulator and a money greedy government who's MP would rather keep the cash for themselves than give our country and it's citizens a good service etc.

I thought France was merely cheap, The cable network there is supposed to have **** poor coverage and I don't know much about the ADSL service, but my bosses house can get 2Mbit.

The services I've used in spain (ADSL) have generally been intermittent at best.

In Denmark there is a cable provider, their new (fastest) tariff is 20Mbit/2Mbit which equates to roughly £30/month (so pretty cheap not much better). To buy this package you need to already be a TV customer though.

You'd expect japan to have the best service in the world since the population density is so high (making a rollout of technology comparably cheaper).

I'd also bet that South Korea has one of the best services in the world (biggest takeup)

We could have it much worse.

tvtimes
18-08-2008, 13:07
I suppose France was not the best example but still consistently more people on higher speeds than us, most of the current European countries are relying on an ADSL+2 connection but are getting quite good speeds and competively priced. Typical of us english over paying for everything
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7098992.stm#france

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Swedens bb service really is something to be admired! :shocked:

Tiger33
18-08-2008, 16:09
I suppose France was not the best example but still consistently more people on higher speeds than us, most of the current European countries are relying on an ADSL+2 connection but are getting quite good speeds and competively priced. Typical of us english over paying for everything
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7098992.stm#france

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Swedens bb service really is something to be admired! :shocked:
agreed

i have a few friends who are on BB and they had nothing but praise for them.. (and the speeds!)

the cost just makes me sick!! (how can it be soo cheap!)

Zhadnost
18-08-2008, 16:15
Maybe their government cross-subsidise it with money made from beer duty. :p:

Fatec
18-08-2008, 16:38
I thought France was merely cheap, The cable network there is supposed to have **** poor coverage and I don't know much about the ADSL service, but my bosses house can get 2Mbit.

Their fibre coverage is actually quite large, you're boss must be in the middle of nowhere :confused: because even the small villages have cheap adsl+2(and get much better speeds than we do i might add).

Only people i know in france still on 2-4Mbit are the ones on the very vert far outskirts of france, we're the same in that respect though, go far out into the countryside the slower it gets!

In Denmark there is a cable provider, their new (fastest) tariff is 20Mbit/2Mbit which equates to roughly £30/month (so pretty cheap not much better). To buy this package you need to already be a TV customer though.

Govt in denmark is working on making 100/100 the "norm" :)

You'd expect japan to have the best service in the world since the population density is so high (making a rollout of technology comparably cheaper).

If you're in the citys you generally get 1Gbit symetrical, as you get further away it drops to 100/100 eventually, till again you hit the outskirts and see 10/10, middle of nowhere places = adsl+2

I'd also bet that South Korea has one of the best services in the world (biggest takeup)

We could have it much worse.

Faster than japan in the sense as you say they have much more coverage, 1gbit and 100Mbit are the norm.

Even comcast in america (poor isp, i know but still...) are beating up with 16/2 packages and 20/5 packages.

Then there is fios in the US 50/20 20/20 10/10 and testing their 100Mbit product right now as well.

And what upload do we get :p:

xspeedyx
18-08-2008, 16:49
1.5Mb

Do I get a prize for been correct

Sirius
18-08-2008, 17:06
1.5Mb

Do I get a prize for been correct

So has there been an official statement yet about speeds for the 50 meg

peanut
18-08-2008, 17:13
So has there been a official statement yet about speeds

I didn't realise VM did official statements, I thought they normally deny things, then the rumours spread, then they go and do things without any notice, and only then do they announce what they've done.

Sirius
18-08-2008, 17:15
I didn't realise VM did official statements, I thought they normally deny things, then the rumours spread, then they go and do things without any notice, and only then do they announce what they've done.

Thats so true, What the hell was i thinking asking that :LOL:

Hugh
18-08-2008, 17:16
agreed

i have a few friends who are on BB and they had nothing but praise for them.. (and the speeds!)

the cost just makes me sick!! (how can it be soo cheap!)

Link (http://www.bbwo.org.uk/broadband-3045)

"The Swedish Government is committed to extending the information society; with the aim of providing all citizens with the opportunity to benefit from IT. As such, Sweden was the first country in Europe to develop a broadband policy, and in 1999, the government recommended that the state should develop a fibre network.

Around SEKr5.8billion (EUR600 million) of public financial aid was set aside for the provision of this network, which has resulted in the deployment of some 200 metro networks in more than one hundred towns. The government has an agreement with electricity utility, Svenska Kraftnät to build this broadband backbone network, which will eventually connect all of Sweden's 289 municipalities to a national broadband network."

xspeedyx
18-08-2008, 17:23
I cant see our government doing anything like this

Zhadnost
18-08-2008, 17:59
There was something planned many many years ago. Got shelved though.

Sirius
18-08-2008, 18:04
I cant see our government doing anything like this

No they prefer to spend our money blowing up other countries:rolleyes:

tvtimes
18-08-2008, 18:30
There was something planned many many years ago. Got shelved though.

Like everything in this country apart from TAX! Tax this Tax that! But if it involves spending "OOOOOH nooooo, we don't want that." FFS:mad:

Mick Fisher
18-08-2008, 18:51
Like everything in this country apart from TAX! Tax this Tax that! But if it involves spending "OOOOOH nooooo, we don't want that." FFS:mad:
The Government is committed to spend all available cash on survellance systems to SPY on us. Nothing left to invest in public internet infrastructure. :rolleyes:

Ignitionnet
18-08-2008, 19:54
Their fibre coverage is actually quite large, you're boss must be in the middle of nowhere :confused: because even the small villages have cheap adsl+2(and get much better speeds than we do i might add).

France Telecomm's fibre rollout isn't that large yet, so far it only covers Paris, the Hauts de Seine département, Lille, Lyon, Marseille, Poitier, and Toulouse.

If you're in the citys you generally get 1Gbit symetrical, as you get further away it drops to 100/100 eventually, till again you hit the outskirts and see 10/10, middle of nowhere places = adsl+2

There's no 1Gbps symettrical service in Japan that's widespread. 100Mbit symettrical in most cities, in some cases VDSL which might be 100Mbit if close enough to the DSLAM, but isn't symettrical.

Even comcast in america (poor isp, i know but still...) are beating up with 16/2 packages and 20/5 packages.

Those packages do only exist where they have substantial competition from FIOS or similar. Their standard top package is only 8/1 where they don't face strong competition, they are very market focussed.

All that said yes the upload on cable over here does seriously suck. Comcast's 50/5Mbit DOCSIS 3 package actually doesn't have bonded upstreams either, what it does have is upstreams, only 3.2MHz wide but still, running at 64QAM.

Hugh
18-08-2008, 19:55
Aren't tax revenues where the Government gets its spending money from?

Impz2002
18-08-2008, 20:28
Fios have standardised thier offering now it is now national with the following tiers :-

From Wikipedia :-
Current bandwidth tiers (download/upload)

10/2
20/5
20/20
50/20

50/20 would be very nice !

Jonathan90
18-08-2008, 21:06
your dam right that would be nice i remember back like a year ago palying some sof2 there was always on geezer with a ping of 0 never really going over 4 and i thought he was running it off his pc turns out he was a fois customer of 65 miles away from the gameserver. his connection rocked.

eth01
18-08-2008, 21:12
I understand it had STM on it up until recently but i didn't expect them to actually roll it out with STM i think they were testing the waters and actually realised STM is not needed on the new DOCSIS, not for the time being anyway. Either way so far good news eh?:)

Given how much they charge for 20meg i would say it's going to be pretty hefty, i think around the £50 region.

you'll pay a premium if there is to be no STM.

Impz2002
18-08-2008, 21:28
The simple economics of the situation will mean that VM wont be able to sustain 50meg with no STM for very long. Imagine how many people will hammer it 24/7 its just gonna suffer the same downfall as the other tiers. It dosnt matter what the technology can support its down to money and VM like most other companies these days want to make maximum profit from minimum investment and this means 50meg with no STM is not sustainable in the long term.

Impz

Jonathan90
18-08-2008, 22:02
wouldn't they make more money in the long run i mean upgrade it to all the latest stuff etc and have a good strong network which plenty of capacity and then amke a lot of money in the long run i mean 50 quid a time can't all be bad lol

peanut
18-08-2008, 22:11
The simple economics of the situation will mean that VM wont be able to sustain 50meg with no STM for very long. Imagine how many people will hammer it 24/7 its just gonna suffer the same downfall as the other tiers. It dosnt matter what the technology can support its down to money and VM like most other companies these days want to make maximum profit from minimum investment and this means 50meg with no STM is not sustainable in the long term.

Impz

I'm struggling to make full use of 20mb at the moment, it's not because of not knowing where to look either. Probably just a lack of worthwhile content out there maybe. 50mb to me would be just a luxury, and one that I have no need for at all if I'm honest. I don't know what all the hype is about, ok things can be downloaded in double quick time but as we're now talking about minutes and not hours or days it seems a bit pointless to me.

Though I wouldn't complain if it was free or whatever (@20mb price) and I don't object at all to progress, roll on 200mb, but I certainly won't be paying for it.

xspeedyx
18-08-2008, 22:11
Wheres £50 come from, If VM can bring 50Mb with no STM then good they will only shoot themselves in the foot if they STM the hero product

kev445
19-08-2008, 12:41
Personally I don’t think it will be Docsis 3.0 which will max out. Their interconnects with other networks are already at saturation point, try one of the download tests on www.thinkbroadband.com, I’m lucky to get 1Mbit from them, UKOnline on the other hand can easily achieve 14Mbit (that's maxing out my line).

Since the upgrades in Plymouth I can now consistently receive 20Mbit from their FTP servers, web-sites outside their network is another matter however! UKOnline aka Sky / Easynet can consistently max out the 16Mbit line (which I pay less for I may add)!

All I can say is Virgin Media have their work cut out!

Ignitionnet
19-08-2008, 13:34
You've a point, Virgin or more accurately ntl in the past were hardly amazing at maintaining their peering/transit bandwidth and far from uncommon for them to have issues with bandwidth to some networks.

I remember in a previous life taking down our interconnect with ntl as they didn't respond to requests to cooperate to increase the bandwidth and just ignored these requests and let the bandwidth max out to the degradation of both our customers.

Impz2002
19-08-2008, 20:45
peering bandwith = money which VM want for profits. Simple as !

Ive lost all faith in VM recently. Strange that considering i am in the middle of the recruitment process to become a field tech for them !

Impz

Rik
19-08-2008, 22:04

Thats not true.

With 20 connections (with SSL on), and I doubt they are all needed, I can get my 100mbps line maxed out ;) so 50MB on Virgin Media will be no problem.

Download Failed (1)

Fatec
19-08-2008, 22:37
Thats not true.

With 20 connections (with SSL on), and I doubt they are all needed, I can get my 100mbps line maxed out ;) so 50MB on Virgin Media will be no problem.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9144/19082008221736wz3.png

Roughly same speed i get at home, sometimes more :)

where you get you're connection from :p:

xspeedyx
19-08-2008, 22:41
aint u on 25mbit up and down trax?

Jelly
19-08-2008, 22:43
I would also lke to kow where you get your connections from ¬_¬

Fatec
19-08-2008, 22:43
aint u on 25mbit up and down trax?

Yea...but they give you any free bandwith on the network.

I quite often see 100/100 overnight...(when at home, still in and out of hospital right now so @ parents)

hokkers999
20-08-2008, 00:15

Fine, they can download more before hitting the STM limit then, fair?

What's a load of bull though is that a 50meg gets throttled down to 10meg, still FIVE X higher than my 2 meg starts at! So if they can allow a 50'er to continue to d/l at 10 then why am I capped at all :mad:

Jonathan90
20-08-2008, 06:05
lol i'd like to know how you hit 99 mbps lol when u have it capped at 81 speed limit

Ignitionnet
20-08-2008, 12:04
I'd be interested in knowing how 100Mbit gives 99Mbit on downloads unless it's gig throughout throttled to 100Mbit. I've maxed Fast Ethernet at 91Mbit/s, this was with 4ms latency to a server in London via 100Mbit switch port, GigE to router then 10GbE to LINX. FE cannot produce 99Mbit of data throughput.

AbyssUnderground
20-08-2008, 16:27
I've seen 96Mbps on my 100Mbps dedicated server, BUT, that is a 1Gbps capped to 100Mbps by the rack router. :)

roughbeast
26-08-2008, 10:25
[QUOTE=peanutkp;34623909]I'm struggling to make full use of 20mb at the moment, it's not because of not knowing where to look either. Probably just a lack of worthwhile content out there maybe. 50mb to me would be just a luxury, and one that I have no need for at all if I'm honest. I don't know what all the hype is about, ok things can be downloaded in double quick time but as we're now talking about minutes and not hours or days it seems a bit pointless to me.]

When you have a family all using laptops or game systems, across your radio network all at the same time, you will see the need for 50Mb. Gimme a 100 Mb and we will use it!

Nicosia
26-08-2008, 21:37
god bless virgin media the only uk isp that can provide the speeds. not like crappy adsl with copper lines that cant deliver anything without living in the exchange

Fatec
26-08-2008, 21:38
god bless virgin media the only uk isp that can provide the speeds. not like crappy adsl with copper lines that cant deliver anything without living in the exchange

Why oh why do people talk so much trash.

2.7Km away from the exchange and a sweet 18Mbit/2.5Upload.

Some people do talk tosh :rolleyes:

Jonathan90
26-08-2008, 22:02
but to be far trax what if u live next door lol and you have very very very crap wiring lol

Nicosia
26-08-2008, 22:31
i was closer to the exchange with adsl ukonline and i could never recieve faster then 8mbit anything faster and the line would drop like a yoyo

Fatec
26-08-2008, 22:33
i was closer to the exchange with adsl ukonline and i could never recieve faster then 8mbit anything faster and the line would drop like a yoyo

So you assume everyone on adsl1/2 has the same problems?

Perhaps it was an issue with your exchange, perhaps with your BT line, did you get BT out to check? or ring them to run tests? or even your router? i bet not :rolleyes::p:

Hugh
26-08-2008, 22:38

Perhaps it was an issue with your exchange, perhaps with your BT line, did you get BT out to check? or ring them to run tests? or even your router? i bet not :rolleyes::p:
Aren't you now making assumptions? ;)

Jonathan90
26-08-2008, 22:48
ladies ladies calm down its just a commercial ;) (omg i have always wanted to say that) lol.

Fatec
26-08-2008, 22:57
Aren't you now making assumptions? ;)

thus the :p: at the end ;)

Zhadnost
26-08-2008, 22:58
Less than that distance, I can get 6.5MBit/1.2Mbit with Be, and have been lately experiencing a lot of packet loss.

I'm bloody miles from the nearest VM hubsite, but get solid 20Mbit/0.75Mbit.

Fatec
26-08-2008, 23:06
Less than that distance, I can get 6.5MBit/1.2Mbit with Be, and have been lately experiencing a lot of packet loss.

I'm bloody miles from the nearest VM hubsite, but get solid 20Mbit/0.75Mbit.

Yea, unless you actually want to use it that is, then its down to 5/192 you go thus making the adsl faster ;)

Be are having issues as of late....(dns)

Also, i imagine with those speeds you're on the be 8Mbit value package? (as you'd get 6.5 after overheads) if so i fail to see your point here :confused:

Ignitionnet
26-08-2008, 23:21
Bit of a loss on how discussion of Virgin Media's 50Mbit product turned into a discussion on ADSL :confused:

Jonathan90
27-08-2008, 00:28
Who cares i love trax's fights/rant/corecting people lol you can never catch him out :)

|Kippa|
27-08-2008, 07:28
Hopefully not too long till the 50mbit is rolled out. Also nice to see the site back up and running. :)

Zhadnost
27-08-2008, 09:28
Yea, unless you actually want to use it that is, then its down to 5/192 you go thus making the adsl faster ;)

Be are having issues as of late....(dns)

Also, i imagine with those speeds you're on the be 8Mbit value package? (as you'd get 6.5 after overheads) if so i fail to see your point here :confused:

I am not on the value package, I am on the unlimited package (was on the pro but I was told that line couldn't support upload plus.

6.5Mbit isn't the speed after overheads, it's the sync speed of the modem. (I don't get close to that speedin real terms).

I'm trying to talk them into putting me on a slower profile (to see if it'll stabilise the connection a bit).

The packet loss I am observing has nothing to do with DNS.

roughbeast
27-08-2008, 09:33
Bit of a loss on how discussion of Virgin Media's 50Mbit product turned into a discussion on ADSL :confused:

Yeah! I quite agree. Anyway, when is that upgrade coming? Late 2008 they say. Well we are now in late 2008 and I see no evidence here of anyone getting the formal offer. Also I have only ever seen a Virgin max of 20139kbps at http://www.dslzoneuk.net/ :o:

Kymmy
27-08-2008, 09:34
Nah, we're still mid 2008, late 2008 is normally the last quarter (oct to Dec) ;)

Nicosia
27-08-2008, 13:21

no of course not some people have worse problems on cable vm, but for me no adsl isp can deliver me the speeds that vrgin media can...:)

plus i dident have to get bt to check ukonline tech already told me that my phoneline is poor and would never recieve more then 8mbit as well as distance from exchange 2.2km..

so it worked out better for me to be with vm i get full 20mbit speeds and sure the stm sucks but i dont seem to ever go over the 3gb limit anymore... at first i was every day on a 5mbit but now i never am :D so id rather full 20mbit with vm then a yoyo internt connection with adsl..

good for the people who manage to download fast with adsl and have no problems..

LaineY
27-08-2008, 13:22
Im thinking bout Going To Tesco's Value Broadband @ £3.99 a month for up to 100MB
I might even grab myself a packet of Tesco Value Salt And Vinegar Crisps

xspeedyx
27-08-2008, 13:44
I heard you can on get max 99.999999MB from tesco so no thanks want the full 100MB for that amount of money

Nicosia
27-08-2008, 15:01
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL i hear the upload ont he tesco 100mb is 90mb

Mad Ad
27-08-2008, 15:03
I'm waiting till I can get two for the price of one.

Hugh
27-08-2008, 15:14
Bogof

Jonathan90
27-08-2008, 16:01
What's happening to this thread lol :rolleyes:

Fatec
27-08-2008, 16:09
Yeah! I quite agree. Anyway, when is that upgrade coming? Late 2008 they say. Well we are now in late 2008 and I see no evidence here of anyone getting the formal offer. Also I have only ever seen a Virgin max of 20139kbps at http://www.dslzoneuk.net/ :o:

Rollout starts in Nov-Dec.

Nicosia
27-08-2008, 16:16
so by next year febuary maybe march everyone who wants to be on 50mbit will be

LaineY
27-08-2008, 16:20
lmao sorry for making it sway off.. it just so happens to be the mood i was in around 2 hrs ago..
but yeah.. definatly man.. i think the 50MB service should have a decent upload.. if they had any brains they would.. (if the network could cope with it ovc)

I suppose we will never know till 1000 customers actually get it

Fatec
27-08-2008, 16:24
lmao sorry for making it sway off.. it just so happens to be the mood i was in around 2 hrs ago..
but yeah.. definatly man.. i think the 50MB service should have a decent upload.. if they had any brains they would.. (if the network could cope with it ovc)

I suppose we will never know till 1000 customers actually get it

Upload speed is currently 1.5Mbit on the pilot launch and will be 1.5Mbit on official product launch.

LaineY
27-08-2008, 16:40
thats not too bad to be honest..

it would be nice to see the upload improve over the next few years..

would be nice to use a webcam without the jittering..

or to upload something without the wait

Fatec
27-08-2008, 16:41
thats not too bad to be honest..

it would be nice to see the upload improve over the next few years..

would be nice to use a webcam without the jittering..

or to upload something without the wait

Not too bad? worst down/up ratio in the whole of the UK...

Can get higher than that on ADSL2 :td:

Also, try multitasking (downloading and uploading) with that, see what happens ;)

Hugh
27-08-2008, 17:06
TraxData2, a little ray of sunshine in a gloomy world......;)

Robertus
28-08-2008, 08:48
Gah I bet Knowsley will be the last :/

Nicosia
28-08-2008, 09:06
you ukers are lucky with all this 10/20/50 ( soon ) mbit.. when i go back home ill be on a 1mbit with a 128kbit upload :( that will seem like dial up compared to you uk internet.. i can have up to 10mbit with a 1mbit upload ( not availabel in my village ) for 99 euros a month :o not in a cabled area only adsl which for 4mbit is something like 89 euro a month ( again not available in my village ) i can have a max of 1mbit down and 128kbit up... llucky people in uk that complain of having such fast speeds

xspeedyx
28-08-2008, 09:10
I think 1.5MB will be ok for what most people will use it for torrenting, online gaming. but people that wanna multi task i.e online game,torrenting,streaming it might start to struggle even a 3mb-4mb upload would be good (well better)

Jabbs
28-08-2008, 11:30
you ukers are lucky with all this 10/20/50 ( soon ) mbit.. when i go back home ill be on a 1mbit with a 128kbit upload :( that will seem like dial up compared to you uk internet.. i can have up to 10mbit with a 1mbit upload ( not availabel in my village ) for 99 euros a month :o not in a cabled area only adsl which for 4mbit is something like 89 euro a month ( again not available in my village ) i can have a max of 1mbit down and 128kbit up... llucky people in uk that complain of having such fast speeds

Sadly you are right am from UK and i find we are always moaning over things like this, i remember 3-4 years back when i was paying a fortune for isdn 64k and dial up internet which cost me more than i am paying for my 20m line(£22 month through VM)

Nicosia
28-08-2008, 12:11
ah yes isdn with 7kb download people thought that was very fast :D or was it 15kb?;p

amon holiday in the uk on the 20mbit virgin media when i go back my home connection will seem like dial up. i remember my dial up phone bil used ot be like £1000 a month until free phone isps would charge monthly

Ignitionnet
28-08-2008, 12:36

Where is home please?

Is it in a country that has the 2nd largest Internet Exchange in Europe and has the majority of transatlantic internet traffic go via the country, along with 200+ ISPs both cable, unbundled DSL and wholesale DSL?

Nicosia
28-08-2008, 12:42
Where is home please?

Is it in a country that has the 2nd largest Internet Exchange in Europe and has the majority of transatlantic internet traffic go via the country, along with 200+ ISPs both cable, unbundled DSL and wholesale DSL?

its a island smaller then london with a population of less then 1 million...cyprus

SteevieNiteHeat
28-08-2008, 12:46
its a island smaller then london with a population of less then 1 million...cyprus

So if you live in CYprus, what the hell are u doing in boring, cold england? lol your crazy!
We brits (well I imagine so) would love a nice hot country like Cyprus!

Ignitionnet
28-08-2008, 12:49

Can't really compare Cyprus with the UK for broadband. Worth mentioning that in the UK in some areas the most people can get is 2Mbit / 256k DSL and not too cheaply at that so if you're in a remote-ish area of Cyprus that might explain things.

You guys do/are getting fibre to the home in some areas though from Ericsson!

Nicosia
28-08-2008, 13:06
So if you live in CYprus, what the hell are u doing in boring, cold england? lol your crazy!
We brits (well I imagine so) would love a nice hot country like Cyprus!

:) there was a few nice ish days even though it did not last long i have been living on the lap top. gotta love this internet connection from virgin :D

i hope to come back next year and try the 50mbit also as i might come to university in uk and study will definatly stick to virgin they are very good..

Can't really compare Cyprus with the UK for broadband. Worth mentioning that in the UK in some areas the most people can get is 2Mbit / 256k DSL and not too cheaply at that so if you're in a remote-ish area of Cyprus that might explain things.

You guys do/are getting fibre to the home in some areas though from Ericsson!

yes we have 10mbit cable with 1mbit upload in the cities and in areas but i am in a village which has nothing the guy down the road fromme cant have more then 256kbit download :o so i am one of the "luckier" ones in the village. with only adsl access up to 1mbit down though other adsl isps provide up to 8mbit now again not available to me.

but i would of though the smaller the country the easier it is for isps to roll out fibre and faster speeds.

yes in uk the large country areas full of nothing and the non cabled areas i imagine wont be seing much fast download speeds like the bbc website said about the average speed being 2mbits.. but virgin and so many adsl isps offer 20+mbit i found that strange that average is 2mbit.. people dont want faster net or the tests are done in places where they cant have more then 2?

so this 50mbit i wonder ow many will be able to recieve this?

SteevieNiteHeat
28-08-2008, 13:13
:) there was a few nice ish days even though it did not last long i have been living on the lap top. gotta love this internet connection from virgin :D

i hope to come back next year and try the 50mbit also as i might come to university in uk and study will definatly stick to virgin they are very good..

Hahahahahaha OMG that's the biggest laugh I have had in ages!

You have not been with Virgin long, you only have to look around here to see that there are no ends of complaints about them lol

KillswitchEdge
28-08-2008, 13:15
I think the reason a lot of people complain is because the UK broadband customers have to put up with poorer ratios for our broadband connections, pretty bad service on occasion and we pay more than other comparable countries who get better connections than us for less money per month.

Also, once we get our connections, we're grabbed by the short and curlies and told that we're not allowed to use it at full speed for an obscene amount of hours in the day.

I honestly don't know the answer to this question, but do any other countries have ISPs that enforce traffic management the same way VM does? I know there are ISPs out there that charge per Gb downloaded, and so on and so forth, but do any other ISPs out there do what VM does to the level of extremity that VM does it?

xspeedyx
28-08-2008, 13:22
Virgin Media arent that bad the Broadband does need some tweaks i.e higher upload, removal of stm or better limits, if they did this I would be more than happy in the daytime and when they upgrade my area I will be more happy

Nicosia
28-08-2008, 13:28
they have been very good to me, i have no complaints about them i am glad to say :)

yes i notice lots of people unhappy and recieve bad speeds..etc thats a shame

Ignitionnet
28-08-2008, 16:11
Hahahahahaha OMG that's the biggest laugh I have had in ages!

You have not been with Virgin long, you only have to look around here to see that there are no ends of complaints about them lol

Of course there are... people don't tend to post on forums like these to say that everything is fine ;)

SteevieNiteHeat
28-08-2008, 16:21
Of course there are... people don't tend to post on forums like these to say that everything is fine ;)

Well even though I used to have no ends of problems with them, I can honestly say I haven't had any problems with them for months (well the internet side that is) I can max out my 10Mb line all day every day, not once getting STM'ed to half or below lol :D:D

Nicosia
28-08-2008, 16:46
so when will virgin give the offical roll out notice on their website with full onfo on stm ( if any ) upload and other information such as price per month?

UnReaL
28-08-2008, 22:52
Probably at the end of September, but that may not include roll out details.

The less you think about it, the quicker it will seem to appear.

xspeedyx
28-08-2008, 22:57
My mum says that about santa

SteevieNiteHeat
29-08-2008, 01:38
My mum says that about santa

Really terribly sorry to break this to you Darth, but santa aint real, you have been lied to! :angel:

bigsinky
29-08-2008, 05:57
well my 20meg connection speed is way down at the moment. in fact i cant even connect. must be to do with the fact i havent paid my bill. thank fcuk i am paid today. giganews downloads will resume presently :)

xspeedyx
29-08-2008, 08:51
Really terribly sorry to break this to you Darth, but santa aint real, you have been lied to! :angel:

Dont lie

Hugh
29-08-2008, 09:59
It doesn't matter if you don't believe in him, it only matters if he believes in you (if he does, he brings you presents) ;)

SteevieNiteHeat
29-08-2008, 10:09
Dont lie

It doesn't matter if you don't believe in him, it only matters if he believes in you (if he does, he brings you presents) ;)

Well I did believe in him until I caught my mother putting a stocking & pillowcase full of pressents by the foot of my bed 1 year when I was 13, it really ruined it for me I can tell you!

xspeedyx
29-08-2008, 11:12
I saw my mum kissing santa (cheating cow) but I guessed I would get better presents if my was getting on with santa

Sorry Mods we will get back on track now

Hugh
29-08-2008, 11:55
Well I did believe in him until I caught my mother putting a stocking & pillowcase full of pressents by the foot of my bed 1 year when I was 13, it really ruined it for me I can tell you!
Sometimes, he just drops the stuff off, and parents have to finish the job off. :)

Chrysalis
29-08-2008, 16:18
Why oh why do people talk so much trash.

2.7Km away from the exchange and a sweet 18Mbit/2.5Upload.

Some people do talk tosh :rolleyes:

indeed.

only 1.65km from exchange and 6-7mbit here.

Dont assume every 2.7km line can do the speeds you got, if you are 2.7km crow distance those speeds are way above the average.

Sirius
29-08-2008, 16:20

I wonder if the same is true of 50 meg :LOL:

xspeedyx
29-08-2008, 16:24
I hope my mum aint lieing about the 50Mb aswell otherwise I will be having words and cutting off Hallmark

Sirius
29-08-2008, 16:30
I hope my mum aint lieing about the 50Mb aswell otherwise I will be having words and cutting off Hallmark

:LOL:

Hugh
29-08-2008, 16:50
Well, VM (and the BPI) can tell if you've been naughty or nice......... ;)

Zhadnost
30-08-2008, 12:09
indeed.

only 1.65km from exchange and 6-7mbit here.

Dont assume every 2.7km line can do the speeds you got, if you are 2.7km crow distance those speeds are way above the average.

Just found out, connection I set up at bosses house, on Demon ADSLMax (exchange isn't upgraded, and doesn't look like it ever will be), less than 2Km from the exchange the modem syncs at 1600kbit/448kbit (448 is still the normal upstream speed for that connection anyway).

I will go through all the usual cable checking next time I'm there, but I doubt it'll make any difference.