PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Broadband Upgrade

JonnyBoy
14-08-2008, 20:57
A few days ago I decided to upgrade from the Medium to the Large Broadband package. I received the e-mail from Virgin Media to confirm the order and was informed that it would take up to 48 hours to process.

48 Hours expired earlier this afternoon, and I still had not the e-mail from Virgin Media to confirm I was upgraded. I telephoned customer services to enquire as to why I had not received the email to confirm my broadband had been upgraded within the timescale they had set.

I was told that my broadband had been upgraded, I said that this was not true because my speeds were exactly the same as a week ago, ie 1.7MB
and confirmed that I have rebooted the modem. I was told to ring the faults department by this clueless chap.

I tried ringing the faults department, explained my situation, was told by another clueless operative that I was through to the wrong department and was cut off. I have also e-mailed Virgin Media support without any success. I later rang again and was told the same story, and still my speeds are the same as the Medium package.

I seem to be running out of options as a) Virgin will not respond to my emails and b) I am getting nowhere with their call centre.

Is there anybody out there can help. Many thanks.

chickendippers
14-08-2008, 21:03
Don't bother emailing, use the virginmedia.support.broadband newsgroup: http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/

JonnyBoy
14-08-2008, 21:28
Thanks for quick reply. Have done as you suggested and posted message to support newsgroup. Many thanks for your advice.

homealone
14-08-2008, 21:43
In the meantime, what do you get displayed in the modem config

http://192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

user & pass are both 'root' (without the quote marks)

sstainer
14-08-2008, 22:10
you can auto do this via the virginmedia website
http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/myaccount/

xspeedyx
14-08-2008, 22:57
Best to ring in the daytime as you most likely will get a uk based customer care team

JonnyBoy
15-08-2008, 00:02
Hi Homealone.

This is the information I get from the modem config

Cable Modem Operation ConfigurationNetwork Access : AllowedMaximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600Maximum Number of CPEs : 1Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

sstainer
15-08-2008, 00:07
that indicates your on M or upto 2mb
try the self help way to upgrade your speed see previous post

browney
15-08-2008, 10:25
I was on M and upgraded to L from the website and the upgrade was done in seconds

JonnyBoy
25-08-2008, 22:25
Hi. just thought I would update you on the situation.

I finally managed to get the Large Broadband speed which I was paying for. This is what happened.

I rang Virgin Media technical support and was astonished that I was put through to a British person, as I was getting nowhere when being put through to the Indian call centre. Anyway, after explaining the situation and providing my mac address, they got back to me and said that the modem details did not exist on their system.

I said that was very strange, however, I did recall that my modem was changed about a year ago and did have trouble getting it registered. So the upshot of it was that they sent me a new modem via post and everything is now fine.

Many thanks for all your help.

JonnyBoy

homealone
25-08-2008, 23:06
Hi. just thought I would update you on the situation.

I finally managed to get the Large Broadband speed which I was paying for. This is what happened.

I rang Virgin Media technical support and was astonished that I was put through to a British person, as I was getting nowhere when being put through to the Indian call centre. Anyway, after explaining the situation and providing my mac address, they got back to me and said that the modem details did not exist on their system.

I said that was very strange, however, I did recall that my modem was changed about a year ago and did have trouble getting it registered. So the upshot of it was that they sent me a new modem via post and everything is now fine.

Many thanks for all your help.

JonnyBoy

good news, glad you got it sorted out :tu:

Frank
25-08-2008, 23:09
...they got back to me and said that the modem details did not exist on their system...So the upshot of it was that they sent me a new modem via post and everything is now fine.

Hmm I wonder if registering it for you would have been a bit easier, cheaper and faster :dunce:

whydoIneedatech
26-08-2008, 18:28
Hmm I wonder if registering it for you would have been a bit easier, cheaper and faster :dunce:

You would think it would be faster to do as you say above, but if it does not show on the system with a valid MAC address then it cannot be re registered and a new modem is the only viable option.