PDA

View Full Version : no ringing tone inside the house

sucksnails
14-08-2008, 12:15
hi hope someone can advise me my phone does not ring inside the house but i can still call out sky want to charge me £100 saying the fault is inside my house my phone is connected to the master NTE 5 which is inside the house who is responsible for the NTE 5

WHISTLED
14-08-2008, 12:34
They own it assumed they were responsible.

I suspect thats just a single loose connection also.

Paul K
14-08-2008, 12:54
Are you in the front socket or do you have a test socket you can try?
If it works in the hidden test socket then it gets sticky trying to get it fixed. Do you pay sky line rental or BT? Usually the provider only takes responsibility up to and including the test socket. Past this socket is the customers personal equipment and unless it was fitted by BT/ Sky etc within the last 12 months it becomes the customers issue to sort out. If its just a loose connection you can try a new face plate if its a split NT5E that detaches from the test socket itself.

joglynne
14-08-2008, 13:20
hi hope someone can advise me my phone does not ring inside the house but i can still call out sky want to charge me £100 saying the fault is inside my house my phone is connected to the master NTE 5 which is inside the house who is responsible for the NTE 5

I have had a look on the Skyuser site (http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/5459-nte5-faceplate-not-supported-sky.html) which seems to confirm that responsibility for sorting out problems with the NTE5 can be some what confused. I have also found a site giving a very comprehensive overview of the NTE5 and fault diagnosis/solutions which you can find here. (http://www.buzzhost.co.uk/nte5.php)

Visitor
10-09-2008, 21:12
Ring your phone and move the wires about, might be a quick way to see if its a loose connection. I had a problem with corrosion once, a quick splash with WD 40 fixed it.

dragon
10-09-2008, 22:33
Ring your phone and move the wires about, might be a quick way to see if its a loose connection. I had a problem with corrosion once, a quick splash with WD 40 fixed it.

shouldnt make a blind bit of difference if the OP is in the master socket.

Ringwire is only for extensions and even then its not always needed on phones with a modern electronic ringer.

Have you tried with a different phone (just to rule out that the phone isnt faulty) and also checked the ringer is infact enabled on the phone.

If you can try it in the test socket (revealed by removing the 2 screws and the lower faceplate on the NTE5) and it still doesn't work and if do have another Phone and have tried it with 2 different phones and had no Joy then it's defiantly not your equipment and it's your providers job to get someone to fix it.

Visitor
10-09-2008, 23:10
IF ?

dragon
10-09-2008, 23:22
IF ?

Yes IF.

There may be some reason that I can not determine from sitting infront of my pc why the OP may be unable to remove the faceplate.

Visitor
13-09-2008, 10:54
So you telling someone not to try something, because of IF

If the buzzer inside is faulty it wont ring !

Jon T
13-09-2008, 11:07
So you telling someone not to try something, because of IF

If the buzzer inside is faulty it wont ring !

Maybe i'm reading this wrong, but what was suggested was to try more than one phone in the hidden socket on the NTE5. It's very unikely, although not immposible that both phones have suddenly developed a duff ringer.

dragon
13-09-2008, 13:34
Maybe i'm reading this wrong, but what was suggested was to try more than one phone in the hidden socket on the NTE5. It's very unikely, although not immposible that both phones have suddenly developed a duff ringer.

Did the Op report it yet?
There are faults which can cause no ringing, which hopefully a line test would show up.

sucksnails
14-09-2008, 09:00
thanks for all the sound advsise the problem has been resolved the fault was at the exchange not enough current coming down the line to make the phone ring. my equipment is OK just as well sky wanted £100 call out then £60 per hour to trace the fault shocking isnt it.

cheers snails

piggy
19-09-2008, 20:47
thanks for all the sound advsise the problem has been resolved the fault was at the exchange not enough current coming down the line to make the phone ring. my equipment is OK just as well sky wanted £100 call out then £60 per hour to trace the fault shocking isnt it.

cheers snails

thats what all phone companys should charge then maybe the wages for the staff could be more reasonable