PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Slow Upload problems

Caliea
13-08-2008, 05:59
Heya, started around 2 days ago, noticed a bit of 'lag' while playing some online games, seemed like lost packets, and after running a few tests it looks like my upload speed has plummeted making games unplayable

I thought it would pass after a day or so, i've restarted the Cable modem, My router, pretty much tested everything i can think of, my download speed is completely fine, on the 10MB package currently , but the upload problems are really making the connection useless

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/4342/testtd7.jpg

Any ideas to what could be causing this? My connection was recently cut off since i had forgot to update the bank details, and this problem only seems to have arisen after they had turned the connection on again.

Seems to fluctuate from completely stable, to completely unplayable, however the download speed never changes

Wisnaeme
13-08-2008, 10:10
I just tested my speed on that site. It shows up as full bandwidth down, and 10% bandwidth up. Then I tried speedtest.net and all was fine.

Is testmy.net working properly? I think not.

AbyssUnderground
13-08-2008, 20:42
The upload speeds you have given are normal, so whats the issue? The speed is almost spot on for 10Mbps, both up and down.

Caliea
13-08-2008, 21:16
The upload speeds you have given are normal, so whats the issue? The speed is almost spot on for 10Mbps, both up and down.

Yeah i realise that, but past few days it has been fluctuating like crazy, sometimes the tests wont even run, and in-game i can see everyone else moving + Packets being sent to my client , new chat messages etc, but i can't act my self and can't update the server with any new information like my position/skill activation.

Problem seems to have rectified its self after leaving the modem off for a few hours, although i did try restarting it/shutting it down earlier, ah well. Sods law, thanks for any help anyways

AbyssUnderground
13-08-2008, 22:35
Yeah i realise that, but past few days it has been fluctuating like crazy, sometimes the tests wont even run, and in-game i can see everyone else moving + Packets being sent to my client , new chat messages etc, but i can't act my self and can't update the server with any new information like my position/skill activation.

Problem seems to have rectified its self after leaving the modem off for a few hours, although i did try restarting it/shutting it down earlier, ah well. Sods law, thanks for any help anyways

Can you post your signal levels please? http://192.168.100.1 username: root, password: root. Be sure to exclude the MAC address, we don't want people getting that.

Caliea
13-08-2008, 22:54
Can you post your signal levels please? http://192.168.100.1 username: root, password: root. Be sure to exclude the MAC address, we don't want people getting that.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6476/testtp2.jpg

Is that the information you wanted? Anything abnormal there?

AbyssUnderground
14-08-2008, 09:49
The receive power is a little high but nothing that should cause an issue with uploading. It may just be congestion in your area, bad peering to the server, or the server you're playing on itself.

Could you run a ping and tracert to the server you're playing on?

To do this. press windows key + R, type in 'cmd' without the quotes into the box, and press enter. Then enter:

ping server_ip -n 10 <enter>
tracert server_ip <enter>

and post the info you get from them.

Zhadnost
14-08-2008, 16:04
The other weird thing is that it looks like a grab from a motorola.

Are any of the motorolas that are still in use supposed to be used on 10MBit?

Axegrinder
14-08-2008, 16:31
I think thats an ambit 250-55-56 modem. They support upto a maximum of 42mb.

whydoIneedatech
14-08-2008, 19:24

That above is screenshots from an NTL modem one of the Ambit series, its the wrong colour and layout for a Motorola.

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
14-08-2008, 21:52
Hi,
I have been having extremely slow upload speed for the past 4 days, I'm on virgin media 10MB cable.
I am a DJ and stream 'live' on internet radio, so upload speed is important for me.
Over the past 4 days my upload speed has been as high as 122kbps and as low as 8kbps. Tonight I tested using www.speedtest.net and I was very pleased to see my upload as 473kbps, so I decided I would play (stream music) later on after eating. I started to play but ppl said my stream was buffering, so I quit and did a speedtest which showed my upload as 13kbps.
Modem type: Ambit ETH/USB combo cable
Downstream frequency 402750000Hz
Downstream SNR 31.2db
Downstream power level 6.9dBmV
Upstream freq 29200000Hz
Upstream power level 38.5dBmV
Three other virgin media cable users on my street also have the same problem so I phoned 151 on my freinds virgin media phoneline. After being on hold for 40mins, the indian gentleman told me I had to phone an 8045 number for virgin tech support. I phoned this number and waited for 40 mins on hold, only to be told that the 151 number was actually the correct place. I phoned 151 again, another 25mins on hold, the indian gentleman asked for my postcode, housenumber and virgin account number, then told me there was no problem with my service. I tried to explain that my upload was slow also 3 others in my street had the same problem, but the indioan gentleman said there was no problems with my modem or my service. I insisted that even though when tested, my download speed was fine, I was struggling to open websites, probably due to the way the internet works and the way packets of info are sent, and the way they require upload speed to confirm each packet in a question & answer kind of way (thus upload speed is needed for anything to work), and he said he would speak to 'senior technical support'. I was put on hold again and there I stayed for 1 hour 40 mins at which point the battery in the cordless phone ran out and I had to hang up.
Could anybody here tell me how the hell I can get any sort of customer service from virgin that is actually worth having, and who am I supposed to complain to about the above service issues and customer (or lack of it) support issues ?
Thankyou to anyone who can help I am extremely frustated here !!!

AbyssUnderground
14-08-2008, 21:57
Your SNR is a little low, and because you say other people on your street have the same problem too, someone in your street could be causing interference on the cable network that is affecting everybody. I would suggest phoning VM technical support and getting a techy out to have a look. It might be worth printing a copy of this topic to show the techy. I showed the techy that came to me the other week some graphs of SNR and he knew exactly what the problem was.

Nemeth
14-08-2008, 22:02

Yes, and beyond. My SB5100 handles 20MBit fine.

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
14-08-2008, 22:03
Thankyou very much for your fast reply, I will probably write to virgin and request a technician to come out - it may be quicker than phoning !!!
Many thanks - I dont understand the term SNR or what other ppl could do that would cause my problems but I will quote this in my letter, thankyou.

AbyssUnderground
14-08-2008, 22:41
Thankyou very much for your fast reply, I will probably write to virgin and request a technician to come out - it may be quicker than phoning !!!
Many thanks - I dont understand the term SNR or what other ppl could do that would cause my problems but I will quote this in my letter, thankyou.

Phoning is quicker. You will never hear a reply from your letter, ever. They're open 24 hours a day so give them a call now and get one sorted.

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
15-08-2008, 18:33
Phoning is quicker. You will never hear a reply from your letter, ever. They're open 24 hours a day so give them a call now and get one sorted.

Thankyou again for your advice. I have been phoning for a week most nights (tyhe 151 from virgin phone) and been told there is no problem. Today I actually had a reply from an email I sent, which told me to phone an 0845 number, and this was a different number to any other 0845 I have been told to ring in the past when I have had problems and phoned for help.
After going over my problem for the 20th time, finally they admit there is a fault !!!
An engineer is coming out tomorrow to look. My upload speed was great when I came in from work tonight 490kbps, so I started streaming on a net radio, it was perfect for 45mins then suddenly my stream buffered so I quit and speedtested, the result being my upload had dropped to 89kbps. I just hope the fault happens when the engineer visits, knowing my luck my upload will be fine !

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
16-08-2008, 12:17
Following on from the previous post by me:
Today an engineer came. My connection speeds were normal when he came but I explained that it was sometimes normal speeds then suddenly my upload dies to almost nothing (less than 30kbps). I also told him the problem affected other ppl in my street.
He was convinced my old silver Ambit modem was the problem, and so fitted me a new black virgin media modem.
He did a speedtest which showed my speed was correct, then left my house. 10 mins later I did a speedtest using the same site he had used, and guess what, my upload had died down to 6kbps !!!
I phoned virgin explaining I had no phone credit and could they phone me back. The guy took my number then after waiting for 10 mins I realised I had just been fobbed off again, so I phoned back again. A different person answered and said they were not allowed to phone me back !
I explained the engineer had left 30 mins ago after fitting a new modem and that my upload speed had gone down again, and was told that a 'manager' would phone me back within 2 hours.
I am still waiting..............

Customer service ????????????

EDIT : 3 hours later and just as I expected no phone call. Pathetic customer service just fobbing me off like they have been doing daily for a week. Anyone reccomend a better ISP with 512kbps upload ??

Speedtest results / time of test...
8am - 493kbps
10:20am - 274kbps
10:50am - 344kbps
11:30 - 6kbps !!!
1:20pm - 211kbps
2:00pm - 55kbps

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
16-08-2008, 19:29
Could anybody who knows shed any light on the event log on my new ambit 256 modem. These are the last entries, does this indicate why my upload speed is going so slow please ?
Sat Aug 16 10:15:01 2008 Sat Aug 16 10:15:01 2008 Information (7) CableModem software upgrade failed
Sat Aug 16 10:15:01 2008 Sat Aug 16 10:15:01 2008 Error (4) SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file
Sat Aug 16 10:15:01 2008 Sat Aug 16 10:15:01 2008 Information (7) SW dload: Invalid image signature!
Sat Aug 16 10:14:55 2008 Sat Aug 16 10:14:55 2008 Notice (6) SW Download INIT - Via Config file cmreg-ntlhm250-mid.cm
Sat Aug 16 10:14:55 2008 Sat Aug 16 10:14:55 2008 Information (7) CableModem software download started
Sat Aug 16 10:14:55 2008 Sat Aug 16 10:14:55 2008 Information (7) Software upgrade has started.
Sat Aug 16 10:14:54 2008 Sat Aug 16 10:14:54 2008 Information (7) A software upgrade filename was specified in the config file.
Sat Aug 16 10:14:53 2008 Sat Aug 16 10:14:53 2008 Information (7) Authorized
Sat Aug 16 10:14:53 2008 Sat Aug 16 10:14:53 2008 Information (7) Registration complete!