PDA

View Full Version : VM Usenet odd behaviour

Taf
11-08-2008, 14:10
I usually get quite a constant download speed (3 threads max of course) from VM's usenet servers.

But today it shows a very erratic download graph with regular dips to zero download rate using GrabIt.

I'm on the 10M service.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/taf.parsons/odd-download-behaviour.jpg

punky
11-08-2008, 14:14
Is that whilst downloading large files? If so, I get that from Giganews when I am being traffic shaped. Like yours its a distinctive off/on/off/on signal

It could VM are automatically shaping their own newsgroup traffic maybe?

Do VM support more threads? If so, would be worth upping it to 10 or so.

Taf
11-08-2008, 15:29
Yup, they are large files (50Mb each) and as for threads it's 3 max unfortunately :(

I'm giving VMs servers a try now that they host more groups, but I may go back to Powerusenet at this rate... maybe that's the ploy if it is deliberate shaping of their usenet servers?

psyfur
11-08-2008, 17:04
I was using them last night and getting the usual 1.2 Mb/s, once the iron fist that is STM has finished I will test them and post my results.

psyfur
12-08-2008, 17:02
Downloaded 30 gig last night with no issue!

tehazza
13-08-2008, 20:58
last time i tried news.virginmedia.com it had 7 days retention and will handle an unknown amount of connections (had 38 on alt.binz) but on grabit it will handle all 32 being activated.

there must be an error though maybe the route to the servers in europe (holland or somewhere) may be acting up you should beable to max 20meg on there with 3 connections easy... 5 maximum.

Also depends on what your getting mate if your downloading alot of small files it may do this like text threads or say sub 3mb files.

Taf
14-08-2008, 09:18
OOPS! Forgot to set Server Properties to increase connection number in Grabit :dunce:

It's one of those "not so easy to find settings" unless you read The Book of Destructions :dunce: